Commercial Quantun Computer?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it is a true quantum computer then computer security as we know it is non-existent.

Actually, we're in the opposite situation, XS. A computer which incorporated quantum indeterminacy would allow the possibility of an in principle uncrackable code. That is, a code for which the interpretation key could not be induced by any algorithm whatever. There are mathematical proofs that such computers could run codes which were unbreakable, because no procedure whose run time was bounded by the lifetime of the universe could crack them. There are, quite literally, no tricks available which would allow you to decode the quantum scrambling available for any message you wanted to run on such a computer.

There's a very nice nontechnical discussion of such computers and the corresponding codes in Simon Singh's terrific book on cryptography, The Code Book (Doubleday, 1999). The headache wouldn't be for computer security, but anyone who wanted to breach the security of such a computer—there is, literally, no way in the universe to do it. This is not something that law enforcement wants to hear...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually, we're in the opposite situation, XS. A computer which incorporated quantum indeterminacy would allow the possibility of an in principle uncrackable code. That is, a code for which the interpretation key could not be induced by any algorithm whatever. There are mathematical proofs that such computers could run codes which were unbreakable, because no procedure whose run time was bounded by the lifetime of the universe could crack them. There are, quite literally, no tricks available which would allow you to decode the quantum scrambling available for any message you wanted to run on such a computer.

There's a very nice nontechnical discussion of such computers and the corresponding codes in Simon Singh's terrific book on cryptography, The Code Book (Doubleday, 1999). The headache wouldn't be for computer security, but anyone who wanted to breach the security of such a computer—there is, literally, no way in the universe to do it. This is not something that law enforcement wants to hear...

True and I should have been clearer.

I am referring to letting a quantum computer loose against current technology and network infrastructure. And it is likely if this is a true quantum computer and it is hooked up not all computer networks out there will switch to Quantum systems. I know my office has no intention of upgrading to anything anytime soon, we just finished doing that.

Quantum computers can be incredibly secure but a Quantum against a PC or server. The PC or server looses every time... in seconds, if that long.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am referring to letting a quantum computer loose against current technology and network infrastructure....Quantum computers can be incredibly secure but a Quantum against a PC or server. The PC or server looses every time... in seconds, if that long.

Gotcha, and yes, it's sort of like a MacLaran F-1 against a go-kart. Ultimately, everyone's going to have go to quantum computation just for that very reason, now you mention it, to keep their systems secure... let's hope the price comes down enough that sometime in the next few years we'll be able to afford laptops running quantum technology!

Don't laugh, all you skeptics out there—weirder things have happened! :wink1:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D

From your lips to the Divinity of Computer Hardwares ears :).

Given that the new Vista OS is such a memory hog, I think the poor old hardware needs every leg-up it can get :lol:.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
laptops running quantum technology!

A Quantum laptop, you can either know where it is and it goes real slow or not know where it is and it goes real fast

Please forgive me if I got that wrong, it has been a long time (by choice) that I have done any study in quantum physics

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The joys of a quantum computer...

throw it at a window (energy barrier) with enough energy, 60% of it is reflected, while 40% goes though..

Is your computer really turned off if you are not looking at it?

joy!

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A Quantum laptop, you can either know where it is and it goes real slow or not know where it is and it goes real fast

Please forgive me if I got that wrong, it has been a long time (by choice) that I have done any study in quantum physics

You may know 2 of any three,

Location/Position, Speed/Momentum, Spin/Polarity

but not all three :)

So you could know where it was but not how fast it was working or know it was working fast and where it was but not if you could touch it (positive/negatively charged).

You could know where it is know you can touch it but have no idea how fast it is working... the fun just keeps going.

--Infy

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The joys of a quantum computer...

throw it at a window (energy barrier) with enough energy, 60% of it is reflected, while 40% goes though..

Is your computer really turned off if you are not looking at it?

joy!

I love the theory that says the Q computer will have the answer for you before you enter in to type the question...

Ala Minority Report.

--Infy

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

So you could know where it was but not how fast it was working or know it was working fast and where it was but not if you could touch it (positive/negatively charged).

You could know where it is know you can touch it but have no idea how fast it is working... the fun just keeps going.

--Infy

My idea of a Q computer is, if you ask it two compute two problems in sequence that involve interfering observables (like position and momentum, or time duration and energy) and then ask it solve the first problem again you will probably get a different answer...

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My idea of a Q computer is, if you ask it two compute two problems in sequence that involve interfering observables (like position and momentum, or time duration and energy) and then ask it solve the first problem again you will probably get a different answer...

You are correct for those that are curious it is the Heisenberg Uncertincy Principle (probably totally spelled wrong btw).

If you solve 2 of the 3 and then ask it to solve 3 of the 3 what you will get is an erroneous # for the third solution along the lines of Infinity.

Or the values of the previous set will change so that when you get 3 of 3 the preceding 2 variables one of which will have changed too infinity.

--Infy

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a computer that is quantum based I think. It follows the principles of Schroedinger's Cat. Until I look at it, I have no idea whether it will be alive or dead. Seems to be completely random. Who says Microsoft is always lagging behind the competition? :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

--Infy

Thank You

And THAT explains why I do not study Quantum anything anymore, it makes my head hurt. And I now think I fear the idea of a quantum laptop

Basically if I can think through the headache I now if I have a quantum laptop

- I can turn it on and look at it but I can't touch it
- Or I can turn it on and touch it but I can't look at it
- Or I can not turn it on leave it in the case and throw it into the Hudson River. Where if I figure in the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle it may or may not hit the water.

I need Advil NOW…ouch it hurts to yell

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank You

And THAT explains why I do not study Quantum anything anymore, it makes my head hurt. And I now think I fear the idea of a quantum laptop

Basically if I can think through the headache I now if I have a quantum laptop

- I can turn it on and look at it but I can't touch it
- Or I can turn it on and touch it but I can't look at it
- Or I can not turn it on leave it in the case and throw it into the Hudson River. Where if I figure in the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle it may or may not hit the water.

I need Advil NOW…ouch it hurts to yell

Wheeeee this is why I DO study it :) but in reality it would be more like,

I can turn it on and it will work but I won't know how it works. If you figure out how it works you won't know what it is working ON and finally it may know the answer to the question you are about to ask.

--Infy

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wheeeee this is why I DO study it :) but in reality it would be more like,

I can turn it on and it will work but I won't know how it works. If you figure out how it works you won't know what it is working ON and finally it may know the answer to the question you are about to ask.

--Infy

Again thanks but what about this one

- Can not turn it on leave it in the case and throw it into the Hudson River. Where if I figure in the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle it may or may not hit the water.

Being a Computer guy this option is always one I like to have.
I need more Advil.:uhyeah:

I did study a bit of quantum physics a while back and I certainly could not have answered that the way you just did (obviously from my previous posts) and I do appreciate the correction.

The problem I have is that it just takes over everything. I spend long periods of time thinking about it to the exclusion of all else and that, to be honest, got a bit scary and it gave me a headache so I stopped. But it is pretty cool stuff to study; it just gives the Advil people too much business.

EDIT:

You know after re-reading your post. That is not all to different than the average user I deal with today when it comes to their PC.

OP
I

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh it's cool man I always appreciate our interplay regardless of topic.

I think I was the one that said you couldn't touch it but I was drawing a linear annology rather than a practicle one.

I too found it very amusing when I summed it up and relized that 90% of people use today's computer in much that way.

I'm still working on the laptop briefcase river scenario. In theory the briefcase / laptop is too big to be part of the principle so it would go SPLOOSH.

Now the questions is did the Qbit computer happen to know what you were about to to do? If so would it stop working days in advance?

hmmm

--Infy

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh it's cool man I always appreciate our interplay regardless of topic.

I think I was the one that said you couldn't touch it but I was drawing a linear annology rather than a practicle one.

I too found it very amusing when I summed it up and relized that 90% of people use today's computer in much that way.

I'm still working on the laptop briefcase river scenario. In theory the briefcase / laptop is too big to be part of the principle so it would go SPLOOSH.

Now the questions is did the Qbit computer happen to know what you were about to to do? If so would it stop working days in advance?

hmmm

--Infy

:lfao:

Just as long as I can throw it in the river I'm fine.

As a matter of fact so far that very threat has kept them from saddling me with a Blackberry.

I often reference that Corona commercial and the beeper when the Blackberry conversation pops up.