Code of Conduct? Do you have one for your school?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our System/Schools, Our Professor gives one to every Instructor and his Students. The "Code of Conduct".

Do you have one available for your Classes?

If not? What should be on this "Code of Conduct" in your classes that you would like to see and follow by everyone? ..Aloha

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, In our System/Schools, Our Professor gives one to every Instructor and his Students. The "Code of Conduct".

If not? What should be on this "Code of Conduct" in your classes that you would like to see and follow by everyone? ..Aloha

We use several of the Kenpo creeds that are posted and express expectations in our student handbook. we keep a respectful atmosphere through the bowing and also verbal respect.
We discuss the creeds with the students and together, interpret them and ask how we can all apply them.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My current school does not have on,but I was exposed to one at the very first dojo that I attended.(It was an Akayama-Ryu Jujitsu Dojo)

That code is the Bushi's philiosopical code of honor;that code is Bushido!

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a student handbook and and instuctor handbook. Both are designed to outline what is expected of our stundents. I like that our Sensei does this. It keeps all instructors and students on the same page. No one can say, "I did not know that".

I think it is a very important piece of everyone's training.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

If everyone could just remember the basic rules you learn in kindergarten then you wouldnt need a code of conduct.

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is our Code of Conduct which is posted on the Wushu Guan Wall for all to see:

A.1 Objectives

The White Crane Research Institute (WCRI) has as its key objectives:

1. Providing instruction in a safe environment in the martial art of Crane-Fist, Taiji and Weapons.
2. Developing the mental and physical tools for improving personal safety and security.
3. Promotion of good health and vitality.
4. Development of positive self-esteem and self-confidence.
5. Development of a person as a positive role model in the community.
6. Creating expertise in confrontation management.
7. Pro-active crime prevention through increased awareness and positive attitudes.
8. Developing healthy community attitudes and values.
All persons participating in a class or course conducted by WCRI must agree to be bound by this Code of Conduct. The WCRI reserves the right to make amendments or additions to this Code of Conduct at any time.

A.2 Participant Understanding
Crane-Fist, Taiji and Weapons are contact martial arts, meaning it involves physical contact with one or more other practitioners in ways designed to simulate as closely as possible the self-defence options available to a practitioner when confronted with physical aggression and/or threatening behaviour. As in any other physically demanding recreational activity, there is always a risk of injury. Any person participating in a class conducted by WCRI does so with the full understanding that whilst it is the policy of WCRI to minimise this risk, the nature of contact physical activity prevents its total elimination. Persons participating in a class conducted by WCRI do so of their own volition and at their own risk.

A.3 Instructor Qualifications
1. All unsupervised Instructors must have either a current National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS) accreditation or National Martial Arts Instructor Accreditation Scheme (NIAS) accreditation.
2. All unsupervised Instructors are bound by the "Instructors Code of Ethics" of the Martial Arts Industry Association.
3. All unsupervised Instructors must have current WorkCover approved Senior First Aid
certification.
4. All unsupervised Instructors must have in place appropriate and separate public liability and professional indemnity insurance.
5. All Instructors will be bound by this Code of Conduct and the National Code of Practise for Martial Arts Instructors.

A.4 Safety
1. Instructors will ensure that the training area is clear of any dangerous and/or sharp
objects that may provide a risk of injury.
2. Instructors will have access at all times to a fully equipped first aid kit. The kit will be of the minimum standard of a St Johns Industrial First Aid Kit or equivalent.
3. Persons must not wear jewellery or watches during training.
4. All persons participating in training agree to maintain self-control at all times and maintain all care in the application of any technique.
5. Any person who, in training, exhibits behaviour that, in the judgement of the Instructor, is a danger to other participants, shall not be allowed to continue training until the Instructor determines the danger is no longer present.

A.5 Training Area Etiquette
1. Persons will bow in the appropriate manner upon entering the Training Area.
2. Shoes must be taken off before entering the training area unless the shoes are special martial arts footwear approved by the Instructor (see “Clothing” below).
3. Persons must be punctual, preferably early, so that they are ready to train when class commences. If arriving late, a person must wait at the side of the Training Area until the Instructor indicates that a person may join the class.
4. Persons must not chew gum whilst training.
5. Food and/or drink (including water) must not be consumed whilst on the training area.
6. Mobile phones must be turned off during training. Mobile phones inadvertently left on during training may not be answered. Any person who is “on-call” for work may seek approval from the instructor prior to the commencement of class to leave his or her mobile phone on.

A.6 Uniforms & Training Gear
All Persons must wear the following approved clothing during all training sessions:
1. Pants: Black Training Pants with or without elasticised ankles. Other types of long pants may be acceptable only if approved by the instructor. During hot weather only, long black shorts are permitted. Lycra shorts or tights are not permitted.
2. Tops: White and or black t-shirt, singlet or muscle top. Instructors may wear a Gongfu uniform. Each student must bring two tops to class should the first top become too wet from perspiration.
3. Shoes: Only special martial arts training footwear which has been approved by the
instructor.
4. Sashes: Graded students must wear their sash.
5. All clothing must be free of all logos or markings unless the logo is that of the WCRI.
6. Persons inappropriately attired will not be allowed to train.
7. In addition to the general uniform requirements, persons must bring a towel and filled water bottle to each training session.

A.7 Sparring requirements
1. Persons participating in sparring activity must purchase and wear an approved mouth guard and bring this mouth guard to every training session.
2. As boxing drills are a regular conditioning activity, persons are encouraged to purchase their own set of boxing mitts of an approved 14oz or 16oz size.
3. In addition to their personal mouth guards, persons participating in sparring must wear full protective clothing, either their own or as supplied b WCRI, comprising body guards, head guards, groin guards and 14oz or 16oz boxing mitts.

A.8 Sickness or Injury
1. Persons must not train if they are suffering from the flu or other viral infection that may be passed on to other persons.
2. Persons must advise the Instructor if suffering from any injury or medical condition, either permanent or temporary, which may be adversely affected by certain types of training.
Some examples of this may include blood pressure problems and cardiac disorders, neck and back injuries, diabetes and asthma.
3. If requested by the Instructor, persons with the above or like conditions must show this Code of Conduct to their physician and secure a medical certificate clearly stating that the person is able to participate in classes conducted by WCRI and whether there are any restrictions or conditions applicable.

A.9 Other Health Issues
1. Persons must not attend training under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
2. Smoking is not allowed in the Training Area.
3. Persons training must give proper attention to personal hygiene and exhibit clean
grooming; and ensure that fingernails and toenails are trimmed and clean.
4. Persons with a cut or bleeding injury must cease training immediately and receive
appropriate first aid. Rejoining the training session will not be allowed until the instructor has deemed that is safe to do so. Persons administering first aid to a person suffering a cut or bleeding injury must wear protective gloves.

A.10 Training Area Ethics
1. Persons must always be courteous and helpful to each other.
2. Physical contact between persons who are training must be appropriate to the situation and necessary for the skill development of those persons.
3. Sexual harassment, defined as being where a person is subjected to unwanted or
uninvited sexual behaviour, will not be tolerated.
4. Any form of discrimination based on sex, ethnic origin, language, colour, or other form of differentiation will not be tolerated.

A.11 Grading Conditions
1. Opportunity to grade under the WCRI syllabus occurs only two times per calendar year. A person may only grade at these times subject to the final determination of the instructor.
2. Each six-month interval between grading is divided into two three-month terms: the Post-Grading Term and the Pre-Grading Term.
3. Grading fees must be paid at the commencement of the Pre-Grading Term.
4. In assessing a person’s readiness to grade, the Instructor takes into consideration such factors as consistency of attendance, attitude, focus and attention during training sessions, as much as a person’s knowledge of the WCRI syllabus to the point he or she wishes to grade.
5. To secure grading under the WCRI syllabus a person must be a current financial member of the WCRI.
6. Membership of WCRI International requires a person to agree to be bound by this Code of Conduct.
7. The WCRI reserves the right to revoke the grading of any person who breaches this Code of Conduct.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At the close of my class, we say SGM Parker's Karate Creed:

I come to you with only karate, empty hands
I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my honor or my principles;
Should it be a matter of life or death or right or wrong
then here are my weapons [karate] my empty hands.

In Tennessee, our students learn this creed:

I intend to develop myself in a positive manner and to avoid anything that will reduce my mental growth or physical health.

i intend to develop self-discipline in order to bring out the best in myself and others.

I intend to use what I learn in class constructively and defensively, to help myself and my fellow man and never to be abusive or offensive.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To be honest I do not remember any school I have been a member of (5) having a written code of conduct. I also do not remember any real conduct problems at any of them that were not handled quite well by the instructor with the exception of my last Tai Chi school towards the end.

If the teacher, Sensei, Sifu, whatever he/she is called is in control things have tended to run just fine.

Although I did take a couple of seminars with Dr Yang and I do believe he has a written code of conduct.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
The dojo kun that I use is said to be one passed on from Tode Sakugawa.

Seek perfection of character

Always be faithful

Endeavor to excel

Always resepect others

Refrain from violent behavior

Share it with others if you wish.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, we have a code of conduct consisting of 12 principles that were developed years ago by the students, and plays an important role in our training.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The TKD Student Oath and Tenets, as written by Gen. Choi Hong Hi, in his Encyclopedia, as follows:

Oath
I shall observe the tenets of Taekwon-Do
I shall respect my instructors and seniors
I shall never misuse Taekwon-do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
I shall build a more peaceful world

Tenets
Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

Periodically, these concepts are discussed in class. The Oath and Tenets are recited at the beginning of every class.

makoto-dojo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

nice thread. Our grandmaster has told us that manners and etiquette is most important for a martial artist. He said even after you take off your gi people can still see your manners! Without manners, proper heart and spirit, we are not martial artists, but merely fighters...

My personal opinion is that most of us will go our whole adult lives without having to get in a fight, so in our daily lives, people will not be able to see, how strong our throw is, or how high our kick is, or how fast our block is. Your fellow workers at your job don't care how well you do your form. Your wife and kids don't care how focused you are during sword cutting etc...

But in our life, we deal with people all day long, we Can show them our martial arts training all day every day, and we can do that with respect, manners, courage, concentration etc. This I feel is the true gem of training. making us better human beings, and adding a positive influence in society.

Respect and manners and etiquette are not often taught in today's world, in fact the opposite is true, family units have broken down, media promote sex, violence and selfish attitudes. The martial arts Dojo/Kwoon Dojang etc..Are some of the few places left in the world where these things are still actively taught.

Anyway, in the Genbukan Dojo we train bumon (martial gate) and Shumon (spiritual gate) side by side. here are a few of the "codes" we recite as often as we can and try to live by. There are more, but this is a good start.

The three traits of the Ninja:

Honesty.
Taking and interest in everything.
Effort.

Genbukan Dojo Kun:

Learn to develop patience within the time it takes a cigarette to burn. (this is like telling someone to breath and count to ten when angry)
The way of man is righteousness.
Forget desire; forget easiness; forget stubbornness.
Think of sadness and grudges as destiny. One must comprehend the immovable heart. (fudo-shin)
Remain loyal to your parents and rulers. Master deeply both culture and martial arts.

Sanbyo no Imashime:(method to avoid mental weakness and gain self composure)

Do not keep fear within your heart. To overcome fear develop and immovable heart.
Do not look at an adversary as inferior. Be cautious with anyone who seems to be weak. Remember there are many cases where a weak man has suddenly become fierce. Use courage to do what is necessary.
Do not over think. When confronted by a situation, do not analyze it too much; by then it may be too late. The idea is to do boldly what is necessary with the greatest possible care.

Botoku:

Jin- benevolence or compassion.
Gi- courageousness.
Rei- etiquette or manners.
Chi- wisdom.
Chu- loyalty.
Ko- obedience.
Shin- truthfulness.
Bi- gracefulness.
Zen- goodness and kindness.

Yojo Shiketsu:

Avoid anger to preserve personality. Being patient requires more effort than becoming angry. With humility develop your personality.
Avoid excessive worrying to preserve the nerves. Don’t spend too much time thinking about trivial matters, otherwise you will become irresolute. Worry less and develop strong nerves.
Avoid excessive speaking to preserve the spirit. Refrain from jabbering too much so as to store up the power of your spirit.
Avoid desire to preserve the heart. The problems of the mind are usually expressed as desire: “I want this” “I want that” or “I want to be rich and belong to the upper class” etc. Try hard to avoid such desire and instead, cultivate a good mind and heart.

Ninniku Seishin:

The essence of 'Ninniku Seishin' is the spirit of the Ninja who has the power to use patience together with the body, mind and subconscious. It is this power that one must develop by training hard. The result will lead to the ability to pocket any insult and later throw it away together with all traces of resentment (Nintai Seishin). The true meaning of 'Nin' is having a heart as peaceful, joyful and lovely as that of a flower (Kajo Waraku). One should never place the blade before the heart. It is also very important to acquire a good knowledge of diversionary tactics using both the heart and body, so that in emergencies one will be able to disappear. This is known as 'Kyojitsu Tenkan', and is for defeating evil with the powers of Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Air for Justice, in the defense of oneself, or one's country

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of Guru Plinck's students are intelligent adults and are expected to act accordingly. If you do something dumb he'll let you know.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the close of my class, we say SGM Parker's Karate Creed:

I come to you with only karate, empty hands
I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my honor or my principles;
Should it be a matter of life or death or right or wrong
then here are my weapons [karate] my empty hands.
The way I learned it:

I come to you with only Kenpo Karate - empty hands
I have no weapons but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor;
Should it be a matter of life or death or right or wrong,
Then here are my weapons - Kenpo Karate - my empty hands.

In my current art we say the five rules:

Il Sa Kun E Chung: Loyalty to one's country.
E Sa Chin E Hyo: Loyalty to one's parents and teachers.
Sam Kyo U E Chin: Trust and brotherhood among friends.
Sa Im Joon Moo Teah: Courage never to retreat in the face of the enemy
O Sal Sang U Tek: Justice never to take a life without cause.

Followed by the nine virtues:

In - Humanity
Uie - Justice
Yeh - Courtesy
Ji - Wisdom
Shin - Trust
Sun - Goodness
Duk - Virtue
Chung - Loyalty
Yong - Courage

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our code of conduct is laid out in our course handbook and reads as follows:

"It is our belief that society is natural to mankind and that it is appropriate, therfore, to ensure that society is well ordered and just. We further believe in the equality and inalienable claim to dignity of all people and hold that the goal of our existence is both self-betterment and the veneration of the struggle that realises it.

We hold that ultimate authority over all matters rests in a natural order and that a sustainable culture and human contentment can only be realised by submission to that order. We reject all attempts to limit that order by use of definitions and cognitive understanding and seek, instead, communion with nature through prayer, meditation, and mystic contemplation. We refuse to submit to any form of authority that is mandatory, baseless, or unjust.

With these beliefs in mind, it is the aim of the Society to provide all people with an opportunity to learn and practice the art of self-defence in a readily accessible cultural medium, one suited to its host country, and to promote an appreciation of the contributions of all peoples to the martial arts."

I haven't read that in quite a while. Its good to refresh the memory.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Reigi Saho is very important.

The 1st rank one gets in our dojo is the knowledge and adhearance to the rules. Knowledge of proper bowing, titles, conduct and traditions.

You train for a good 3 months before donning a belt at all, then you earn the white belt.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion, Codes of conduct should be simple and apply to all aspects of life.

I think that a good place to start is with the basics....

Do not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do.

Although for our purposes, maybe something about not misusing what you've learned.