CNN - martial arts segment

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Received a call from a gentleman claiming to the producer for Hugh Downs. He claimed they are planning a series on the "Future of Martial Arts in America". They will be covering various arts shooting 3-5 minute clips to be shown here in the US, overseas, and on the web. However; to be included if I pass the screening process, I have to cover the production cost of $22,000. [this is correct, twenty two thousands dollars $$$]

Anyone else receive this call or hear anything about this project??

Thanks, Teej

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
However; to be included if I pass the screening process, I have to cover the production cost of $22,000. [this is correct, twenty two thousands dollars $$$]

Anyone else receive this call or hear anything about this project??

Thanks, Teej

sounds like a scam.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
:BSmeter:

Total scam. Real news outlets don't make you pay to be in a story. If CNN were interested in doing a feature on you or what you do you'd get something verifiable from their corporate offices not someone claiming to be someone's producer.

For what it's worth you might want to had it over to the detectives at your police department or to the local FBI office if there was interstate commerce involved. If he called you from out of state there was interstate commerce.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
:BSmeter:

Total scam. Real news outlets don't make you pay to be in a story. If CNN were interested in doing a feature on you or what you do you'd get something verifiable from their corporate offices not someone claiming to be someone's producer.

For what it's worth you might want to had it over to the detectives at your police department or to the local FBI office if there was interstate commerce involved. If he called you from out of state there was interstate commerce.
Ditto.

A legit news organization isn't going to ask you to cover their costs, otherwise there'd be no defense against allegations of bias. After all, the "story" wouldn't be covered unless the people would pay!

You can call the cops or FBI, but I wouldn't look for a huge response; you're not out any money, and it's not clear whether the attempted fraud crossed state lines. Depending on just what was said, there may not even have been an attempt at fraud... You might get a better response by contacting Hugh Downs's representation since he doesn't seem to be currently attached to anything but infomercials.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur. They wouldn't ask you to pay anything. It would be considered bad journalism.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many cable shows are produced by independant production companies, with all the production costs paid by the production company, before their sold to the cable channel.
It's possible the production company is trying to pass on some of the production costs to the feature martial artists.
They probably figured out the ego factor is pretty big in the martial arts. If some guys will pay $500.00 to be inducted into a hall of fame, surely someone would pay $22,000 to be on T.V.
And their again they could be complete con men.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many cable shows are produced by independant production companies, with all the production costs paid by the production company, before their sold to the cable channel.
It's possible the production company is trying to pass on some of the production costs to the feature martial artists.
They probably figured out the ego factor is pretty big in the martial arts. If some guys will pay $500.00 to be inducted into a hall of fame, surely someone would pay $22,000 to be on T.V.

Dam! No wonder I'm not in the "hall of fame."

OP
T

teej

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He did tell me it was going to be sold to CNN, Public Television, Overseas and go to the Internet such as YouTube.

They are supposed to be located in Boca Raton, FL and said it is a one day shoot there. They will travel to any school in S. FL. but you have to cover travel. They will travel to schools outside S. FL. but you have to cover travel expenses AND $3000 per day.

They need to be contacting Steven Oliver, the Kovacs, John Graden, Steve LaValle, Tom Callos, & ATA's Clark. He said they had a research team. He told me they did not have Kenpo being represented yet.

Teej

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good point; Hugh Downs has a well known name, but is apparently not a reporter/news figure anymore. This could be some sort of privately produced show -- but I'm still coming down on the "this is questionable" side. At the very least, for more than $20,000 dollars -- they should be selling you on why it's a good investment for you.

Latest Discussions