closing account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a big thing in IT circles now, with everybody offering suggestions on what we in the US need to do to comply. Still haven't wrapped my head around that. If a company does business in the EU, then certainly that part of the business must comply. But if it only does business in the US, the EU can't do anything more than try to block their internet footprint in the EU. We have no law I am aware of that says we must comply will all laws in all foreign countries, although I am sure there are countries that would love to be able to pass enforceable legislation against us.
The internet makes where we "do business" much less clear than it once was. By EU law as I understaand it, if we do electronic business with EU citizens, we are establishing what amounts to a virtual nexus (point of business) for that transaction. That virtual nexus subjects the transaction to EU law. That makes much more sense when you look at it from the consumer's point of view - she gets up in the morning, hops online to do something, then logs off. All in her own home within the EU.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a big thing in IT circles now, with everybody offering suggestions on what we in the US need to do to comply. Still haven't wrapped my head around that. If a company does business in the EU, then certainly that part of the business must comply. But if it only does business in the US, the EU can't do anything more than try to block their internet footprint in the EU. We have no law I am aware of that says we must comply will all laws in all foreign countries, although I am sure there are countries that would love to be able to pass enforceable legislation against us.

So how exactly is it different to US lawmakers deciding what is acceptable online from service providers in other countries?

If I trade with US residents (or otherwise engage them online) I'm expected to comply with the laws in their location as well as the laws in mine.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's easily my favorite explanation for the difference in spellings. Given that background, is it safe to conclude that a sort of cultural fear of scarcity is what causes us (Americans) to ignore that "herb" has an "h" at the beginning?

Ooh, now, the "H"...

That's an entirely different kettle of fish, the debate about when the letter is vocalised (whether it's physically present in the word or not) goes back to Roman times.

At various points in history it has been correct to drop the H sound (so pronounce 'istory, 'erb, 'orrible, etc.) and also to add it where it's not written (the (h)officer (h) excitedly wrote a ticket (h)and gave it to...)

At other times, both were incorrect - or any mixture.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The internet makes where we "do business" much less clear than it once was. By EU law as I understaand it, if we do electronic business with EU citizens, we are establishing what amounts to a virtual nexus (point of business) for that transaction. That virtual nexus subjects the transaction to EU law. That makes much more sense when you look at it from the consumer's point of view - she gets up in the morning, hops online to do something, then logs off. All in her own home within the EU.
. The European Union isn't a state and has no laws or rather it only has laws about how it's self is run, no laws that effect citizen of its member countries or any other country

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
As per cops;

It's not cops I don't trust, it's humans with more power than their ego can handle, and those driven to such power precisely because of that fragile ego - for which police work is a popular outlet.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As per cops;

It's not cops I don't trust, it's humans with more power than their ego can handle, and those driven to such power precisely because of that fragile ego - for which police work is a popular outlet.

It can be but how the organisation is managed and perhaps importantly how they are trained makes a lot of difference. In the UK candidates for the police are tested and interviewed then if acceptable do police training in police training establishments trained by police, if they pass they are then probationers for two years. This gives common standards and competences. We don't train in colleges or evening classes then apply for jobs, it has to be all done through the Home Office.

No organisation ever gets rid of it's bad apples but their effect can be mitigated by the decent people. So many people think policing, prevention of crime etc is someone else's business not all of ours as well. With our government's cuts, police officers these days already 20,000 officers down, are dealing with more and more social problems like mental health, self harming, alcoholism, youth gangs etc than they are actual crime. Terrorism of course is a big thing but no bigger than we had during the IRA's reign of terror, they killed far more people.

People do still join the police because they want o help others, thank goodness and hopefully they outnumber those that want to join for other reason. The main problem is that police morale and working conditions are substantially worse than they used to be due to our 'austerity' government. Probably just as well the police swear their oath of allegiance and service to the Queen rather than the government that is harming the police forces so much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. The European Union isn't a state and has no laws or rather it only has laws about how it's self is run, no laws that effect citizen of its member countries or any other country
It's a convenient shorthand. Laws/regulations adopted by the member countries as uniform are effectively laws/regulations of the EU.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a convenient shorthand. Laws/regulations adopted by the member countries as uniform are effectively laws/regulations of the EU.
It's not short hand, it's just wrong, there are enormous differences in the laws and legal process across the member states, even the EU ,t mandated laws differ wildly from one country to the next

Imagine the usa, with no federal law and only state laws , that's more or less what you have, except there are 27 different legal process adapted over several thousand years,that bear little resemblance to each other, so even if they have the same laW, they interpret it 27 different ways

As a general rule, the British Implement it, the German IImplementt it better, the French Inplimentt it and then ignore big chunks of it And eastern European states just ignore the whole thing and ask for another grant

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EU laws don't apply in the US.

There are however international treaties on telecommunication which are legally binding on the countries that sign them including the US.

Rice Nachos

White Belt
Reaction score
From what I recall (speaking with EU-law experts), EU does have laws with "direct effect" on residents of member states. EUR-Lex - l14547 - EN - EUR-Lex

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I recall (speaking with EU-law experts), EU does have laws with "direct effect" on residents of member states. EUR-Lex - l14547 - EN - EUR-Lex
it doesn't have laws it has regulations, and,directives, rights given by those can be enforced against the,state, if you have the money you can take your case to the ecj,no individual can be punished by eu regulation, with out the laws being adopted by the country

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it's fine to say that...

Is standing by "we don't delete accounts" really worth the test case?

As to this and previous comments on the subject of law and jurisdiction - it's all a bit moot considering the OP has been posting in a few other threads since...

OP
O

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
As to this and previous comments on the subject of law and jurisdiction - it's all a bit moot considering the OP has been posting in a few other threads since...

running around watching are we lol...

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
running around watching are we lol...

Yes, definitely. :rolleyes:

Get over yourself ffs, if you post in threads I get alerts for (because I've been involved in them) I'll get an alert when you (or anyone else) posts.

In fact, because I use the "new posts" option to see what's been going on I see every post you make if it's in a thread I may have an interest in.

Oh, and by the way:

Sensible people when they want to leave a forum just close it and leave - you'll only get one email per thread if you ignore them so generally it'll stop within a day - sometimes they'll send a private message to the mod team to request their personal info is removed.

Flouncy drama queens tend to announce their intention to leave, but keep coming back to check if they're being talked about.

Only the most narcissistic "me me me" always want to be the centre of attention types seem to announce they want to leave, then continue to try and chat (and argue about leaving), while accusing people of following them about if it gets mentioned.

You know what, I really thought you were a sensible and reasonable bloke initially - but then you pushed your twattishness about and ruined that illusion completely.

If you want to leave, leave. If you want to stay, stay - just don't expect me to fawn over your presence.

OP
O

oldwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. :rolleyes:

Get over yourself ffs, if you post in threads I get alerts for (because I've been involved in them) I'll get an alert when you (or anyone else) posts.

In fact, because I use the "new posts" option to see what's been going on I see every post you make if it's in a thread I may have an interest in.

Oh, and by the way:

Sensible people when they want to leave a forum just close it and leave - you'll only get one email per thread if you ignore them so generally it'll stop within a day - sometimes they'll send a private message to the mod team to request their personal info is removed.

Flouncy drama queens tend to announce their intention to leave, but keep coming back to check if they're being talked about.

Only the most narcissistic "me me me" always want to be the centre of attention types seem to announce they want to leave, then continue to try and chat (and argue about leaving), while accusing people of following them about if it gets mentioned.

You know what, I really thought you were a sensible and reasonable bloke initially - but then you pushed your twattishness about and ruined that illusion completely.

If you want to leave, leave. If you want to stay, stay - just don't expect me to fawn over your presence.

and pray tell where did you get the idea oh great one that I wanted that ...to be fawned over ...I bow to your superior wisdom and experience in all matters ....lol

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As per cops;

There are a whole bunch of systems failures to factor in as well.

That is half the reason bouncers have the issues they do.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
and pray tell where did you get the idea oh great one that I wanted that ...to be fawned over ...I bow to your superior wisdom and experience in all matters ....lol

Don't bow to any possible superior knowledge on my part, but know I felt the same about you as PDG. Actually, seeing how it has turned out, I would say that in my case at least, you have proven I don't have such superior knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions