Class Action Law Suit against Target for Not having web-site accessible to the blind

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/ts_nm/target_blind_dc

From the above listed article:

Judge allows class action against Target Web site

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge in California certified a class action lawsuit against Target Corp brought by plaintiffs claiming the discount retailer's Web site is inaccessible to the blind, according to court documents.
ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Marilyn Patel of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California also rejected Target's motion for summary judgment in the case, according to the ruling filed October 2.

According to the ruling, plaintiffs -- including the National Federation of the Blind -- claim Target.com violates federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination against the disabled.

"This is a tremendous step forward for blind people throughout the country who for too long have been denied equal access to the Internet economy," Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation for the Blind, said in a statement.

"All e-commerce businesses should take note of this decision and immediately take steps to open their doors to the blind," Maurer said.

"Target is committed to serving all of our guests and we believe that our Web site is fully accessible and complies with all applicable laws," Bloomberg quoted Target spokeswoman Carolyn Brookter as saying in an e-mailed statement.

Target was not immediately available for comment to Reuters.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are programs that will "read" text aloud for a blind person, but I don't know enough about the technology to comment beyond that.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
No offense here, but seriously?

The internet is a visual medium, keyword is visual.

Now I have known visually impaired people to have keyboards that have a braille reader... but I do design websites, and other than putting in keywords into the images as alt tags, along with using more text and such... how in the heck do you design a site for blind people?

That seems akin to suing someone because a painting course doesn't have curriculum set up for the blind. What's next? Required braille on price tags in the stores?

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm do agree that strides have been and should be taken to assist in the life of the challenged (audibly and visually), I just don't think that it's right to take suit against a company because they haven't done something that isn't mandated by law.

It seems the same as requiring radios to have a 'close captioning' ticker running so that deaf people can use them (although again, perhaps not a bad idea there).

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are certain software that can compile information from websites into a blind-friendly format (either voice-synthesized or capability to convert to printing in braille/tactile representations). However, there are some websites, because of the way it is designed, that makes it difficult for software to compile.

Not too long ago, I created a ten page historical program book for a deaf event (which, of course, is primarily visual than text). Since we had a few attendees who are both blind and deaf, I had to take the original information (print-ready) on CD to the National Blind Federation office (located in the same county). I met a blind man (he could hear) running the office and was amazed to watch his software compile it into a braille friendly book. Even the pictures were able to be converted in a nearly 3D format showing texture and shape.

I saw another computer with a website showing on the monitor, hooked up to a gadget. While waiting for my stuff to be processed, I asked him about what I saw. He explained and demonstrated how he is able to browse the internet. Fascinating...

He explained that there are many websites that still present problems for him to browse, but more and more are becoming blind-friendly. (I am guessing this isn't necessarily that many web designers aware of whether their work is accessible to the blind, but rather the way they design (more simple than complex) have helped a lot as well as an improvement of the compiling software used by the blind.)

- Ceicei

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are certain software that can compile information from websites into a blind-friendly format (either voice-synthesized or capability to convert to printing in braille/tactile representations). However, there are some websites, because of the way it is designed, that makes it difficult for software to compile.

Not too long ago, I created a ten page historical program book for a deaf event (which, of course, is primarily visual than text). Since we had a few attendees who are both blind and deaf, I had to take the original information (print-ready) on CD to the National Blind Federation office (located in the same county). I met a blind man (he could hear) running the office and was amazed to watch his software compile it into a braille friendly book. Even the pictures were able to be converted in a nearly 3D format showing texture and shape.

I saw another computer with a website showing on the monitor, hooked up to a gadget. While waiting for my stuff to be processed, I asked him about what I saw. He explained and demonstrated how he is able to browse the internet. Fascinating...

He explained that there are many websites that still present problems for him to browse, but more and more are becoming blind-friendly. (I am guessing this isn't necessarily that many web designers aware of whether their work is accessible to the blind, but rather the way they design (more simple than complex) have helped a lot as well as an improvement of the compiling software used by the blind.)

- Ceicei

This is pretty cool! Although, question for you Ceicei, I recall you have a form of physical handicap (I hope thats the correct wording, and am sorry if incorrect). May I ask what that is? I cann't recall, sorry.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is pretty cool! Although, question for you Ceicei, I recall you have a form of physical handicap (I hope thats the correct wording, and am sorry if incorrect). May I ask what that is? I cann't recall, sorry.

Yes. I am deaf. No need to apologize. :)

- Ceicei

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score

- Ceicei

Wow. Learn something new every day... thanks for that! :)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offense here, but seriously?

The internet is a visual medium, keyword is visual.

Now I have known visually impaired people to have keyboards that have a braille reader... but I do design websites, and other than putting in keywords into the images as alt tags, along with using more text and such... how in the heck do you design a site for blind people?
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to say, I am finding this somewhat fascinating. As much as I love to read the idea of becoming blind terrifies me. There is so much about this that I had never known.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to admit that my very first reaction to reading about the lawsuit was "That's the dumbest thing that I have ever read."

After reading Ceicei's explanation...it does make much more sense to me.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are the blind really big users of the internet?

Yes. My Uncle is blind and is a big tech geek....online and off...he uses software that speaks to him and is actually frequently a tester for the company....

Don't get me wrong, I'm do agree that strides have been and should be taken to assist in the life of the challenged (audibly and visually), I just don't think that it's right to take suit against a company because they haven't done something that isn't mandated by law.

It seems the same as requiring radios to have a 'close captioning' ticker running so that deaf people can use them (although again, perhaps not a bad idea there).

But the point of the lawsuit is they feel it is mandated by law, and that is what they will seek to prove.

A radio is different as someone who is deaf could never actually hear the radio (outside of the vibrations) but someone who is blind can frequently make use of the internet and buy stuff online....

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. My Uncle is blind and is a big tech geek....online and off...he uses software that speaks to him and is actually frequently a tester for the company....

But the point of the lawsuit is they feel it is mandated by law, and that is what they will seek to prove.

A radio is different as someone who is deaf could never actually hear the radio (outside of the vibrations) but someone who is blind can frequently make use of the internet and buy stuff online....

Ping et al,

While I support the need and the law of ADA, and I understand the uses of the internet and think that software for reading is a good idea. But could everyone who has a website afford to pay for the meta tags and time to support this? Can they also now forbid all Dot Coms unless they have the right support from being an active site? I mean one cannot bring suit against someone outside the US with these laws. So would it mean that if one had a *.TV or such would it be exempt?

I am curious to how this plays out, as in the laws and how they get interpreted. I mean if it is only for dot coms I could see that name go away and companies going off shore. I could see all small business and individuals going off shore as well.

Thanks for all the info.