Chum Kil Video

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've got to agree with you here Poor Uke, the shifting in chor ma was not good from my point of view. For me, he's not sinking in the stance enough to start with, his front leg is way to straight and if you watch his feet when he shifts, it's all done in steps ( move left foot back to centre, then move right foot, etc,etc) instead of moving all together and the movement starting from the COG. I personally don't like the way he comes right back on his heels either. I don't know about others on here but when i shift in chor ma, my whole foot stays in contact with the ground and I try to screw into the ground and sink a little more.

Good eyes there bro ... some linage do shift on the heels, but his toes are like10 feet off the ground. I wonder what will happen to his balance, and not to mention his knee when get pop with an low kick during the shifting transition.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least I am qualified not to comment, I can't see the bloody vid as I am in China and no tube allowed:soapbox:

I am hoping to start the second form in the very near future so some of these comments have been interesting for me.
Would it be an idea on here to have stickys for each form and then we can discuss each one, our differences and ideas in one place?? Just a thought.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well at least I am qualified not to comment, I can't see the bloody vid as I am in China and no tube allowed:soapbox:

I am hoping to start the second form in the very near future so some of these comments have been interesting for me.
Would it be an idea on here to have stickys for each form and then we can discuss each one, our differences and ideas in one place?? Just a thought.

I think that would be a fantastic idea if it wouldn't turn into one big p****r measuring contest

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Which I would win of course.

Don't care if I win or lose, I just like whipping it out in public.:uhohh:
Besides, it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean.
icon12.gif

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Similar to our lineage, i would say a bit over exaggerated in parts ...... as to how I have been shown it off sigung.

OP
J

JoJo

White Belt
Reaction score
I talked to Sifu Alan "Bak Fu" Vasquez and he claims to be one in 2-3 best Wing Chun schools in the state. He said he doesn't hold anything back like other schools do and that he can teach you Wing Chun in a year and then you become a Sifu and can teach your own students.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I talked to Sifu Alan "Bak Fu" Vasquez . . . . . . . and that he can teach you Wing Chun in a year . . . . .

Really? Hush! ! ! Don't tell my students this, I don't want them to know I'm cheating them and that they can learn Wing Chun in a year and be a sifu.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You probably could learn it all in one year , but the big question is how much would you have internalised and assimilated what you have been taught ?

Not very much would probably be the answer , just skill in Chi Sau alone takes many years of training before the reactions become automatic.

It's not like the friggin Matrix where you can upload the stuff into your brain , you've got to put in the hard yards physically and mentally , consistantly over a long period of time.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
While not a big fan of the way he performed chum kui and based on the quality of what is shown I would not advise anyone to train with him. On a pure time spent basis a year is reasonable if you are full time training.

40 hours per week for 50 weeks is 2000 hours of instruction. Most schools seem to offer classes 3 times per week for 1 to 1.5 hours. If we say a student has on average 4 hours of instruction per week for 50 weeks that is 200 hours of instruction per year. So looked at this way 1 year of full time training would equal 10 years of average training.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
While not a big fan of the way he performed chum kui and based on the quality of what is shown I would not advise anyone to train with him. On a pure time spent basis a year is reasonable if you are full time training.

40 hours per week for 50 weeks is 2000 hours of instruction. Most schools seem to offer classes 3 times per week for 1 to 1.5 hours. If we say a student has on average 4 hours of instruction per week for 50 weeks that is 200 hours of instruction per year. So looked at this way 1 year of full time training would equal 10 years of average training.

The paradigm I have always heard is it takes 8000-10000 hours to master a skill. Whether it be a musical insrument, plumbing or MA.
So if someone were to train 4 hours per day, 5 days per week that's only 1000 hours per year
(taking 2 weeks off) So even if you double that you're still looking at 4 years.
I agree WC can be taught quicker than most teach it,but one year to sifu is pushing it.
Now, if a person were to go ape**** and go by your model, they could certainly learn WC in a year, but I would stll maintain it would take more years (many more years) to master. It just takes things a while to soak in and become a part of you.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I talked to Sifu Alan "Bak Fu" Vasquez and he claims to be one in 2-3 best Wing Chun schools in the state. He said he doesn't hold anything back like other schools do and that he can teach you Wing Chun in a year and then you become a Sifu and can teach your own students.

From what you had posted, the man's ego is 10X OF kING kONG. By his title of "Bak Fu", I take it to meant "White Tiger" ... impressive indeed.

I can almost see the MacDojo sign hanging above his door ... NEEEXT!

traveler01

White Belt
Reaction score

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this video. He has been teaching Wing Chun since 1979 and has had more than 400 students.

I know a guy who studied there briefly. Bak Fu may have had 400 students, but I hear that only a few stick around after a year or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know a guy who studied there briefly. Bak Fu may have had 400 students, but I hear that only a few stick around after a year or so.

That in itself should tell you some thing is not cool in paradise.