Chum Kiu--Two way force

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted various strands of WC to share their experiances in terms of the Chum Kiu force, especially with refernce to the 2 way force that it develops. A few questions:

1) Where do you distribute the weight throughout the form?

2) which part of the foot do you utilise in weight distribution?

3) Has your development of the 2 way energy impacted your Chis Sau/sparring

4) how has the Chum Kui developed your visual perception?

5) Has your stance altered since you have started Chum Kiu?

6) What do you feel is the fundamental element that the Chum Kiu develops?

7) what underlying principal do you think the name "Chum Kiu" represents?

8) do you feel there is a particular technique that is more important in Chum Kiu?

9) Do you feel it is more important to perform the form slowly or is speed more revant to the form?

Let it begin

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
I just wanted various strands of WC to share their experiances in terms of the Chum Kiu force, especially with refernce to the 2 way force that it develops. A few questions:

1) Where do you distribute the weight throughout the form?

2) which part of the foot do you utilise in weight distribution?

3) Has your development of the 2 way energy impacted your Chis Sau/sparring

5) Has your stance altered since you have started Chum Kiu?

6) What do you feel is the fundamental element that the Chum Kiu develops? Although nobody will agree, I would say maintaining your root/ structure when stepping or shifting. Without that EVERYTHING else is weak in chum kiu. Think about it.

7) what underlying principal do you think the name "Chum Kiu" represents?

8) do you feel there is a particular technique that is more important in Chum Kiu?

9) Do you feel it is more important to perform the form slowly or is speed more revant to the form? Until your root is good slow.

Let it begin

see above

S

Spook

bcbernam777 said:

1) Where do you distribute the weight throughout the form? your weight distribution is constantly changing but always roots back to the Chum Kiu Ma stance. Roughly 75% back, 25% front.

2) which part of the foot do you utilise in weight distribution? Use the flat of you foot to get the most surface area in contact with the floor. When turnning you rock back on your heal and then root flat footend to the ground.

3) Has your development of the 2 way energy impacted your Chis Sau/sparring. Of course, It is an extremely important element in any situation. Its where you will derive much of your energy for techniques. Definetly the use of 2-way energy.

5) Has your stance altered since you have started Chum Kiu? Your stance will always improve the farther you move through the WC system. Chum Kiu will improve your rooting and stability, along with turning power.

6) What do you feel is the fundamental element that the Chum Kiu develops? Movement/Root

7) what underlying principal do you think the name "Chum Kiu" represents? Chum Kiu means searching for the bridge. Seeking the bridge is done with movement. The purpose is to apply the hand movements with footwork to create a bridge.

8) do you feel there is a particular technique that is more important in Chum Kiu? The turning and stepping while applying hand techniques.

9) Do you feel it is more important to perform the form slowly or is speed more revant to the form? Speed is important. Siu Lim Tao teaches structure and slow movement to focus on stance, technique, etc. When one reaches the Chum Kiu level, the slow techs. from SLT are now applied with speed and power. Doing the form slow looses the meaning.

Let it begin

Hope that helps!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm very new to this. I've heard words like "bridging" and "seeking" and such used but don't get all the nuances. Could someone say more about how the term "bridging" is used with respect to this form?

OP
bcbernam777

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'm very new to this. I've heard words like "bridging" and "seeking" and such used but don't get all the nuances. Could someone say more about how the term "bridging" is used with respect to this form?

My sifu explained it to me like this:

In Wing Chun there is a concept called the confined area, which is the area extending from the body to the elbow when it is one fist distance. The goal of the Wing Chun practicioner is simple, protect your confined area, and seek to control your oponants confined area, we do this through the utilisation of the bridge (usually refering to the arm) and we learn this through the practice of the Chum Kiu form which means either "search the bridge" or "sinking Bridge". there is a thought that is common to wing chun that to search the bridge refers to what to do when you have made contact with the opponants forearm, I used to think this to until sifu told me off because it wasn't a concept that he taught me, He explained that the the bridge was how to move the bridge to the opponants confined area i.e. how to gain entry into your oponants confined area to hit them. The concept can be explained by using the following illustration, imagine you are on the banks of the river, the bank you are on is your confined are, the bank on the other side is your opponants confined area, your bridge has to enter the oponants bank (confined area) to make a succesful crossing (a hit). "Seeking" is to manipulate the oponants "bridge" to find a succesful way to his confined area.

So to boil it all down, searching the bridge=how to connect with your oponanant.

I hope this clarify things for you.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:

1) Where do you distribute the weight throughout the form?when turning the weight shifts, when stepping the weight shifts, when kicking the weight shifts. The stance is mobile. Ip chun said at a seminar to use a distribution of anywhere between 50 - 50 in favour of the back foot (so 51 -49 really) to 100 - 0 .

2) which part of the foot do you utilise in weight distribution?depends on what you are doing, when turning the whole of the base of the foot remains in contact with the floor, weight is generally at the point just in front of the heel, at other points of the form you will find weight distributed over the whole of the foot.

3) Has your development of the 2 way energy impacted your Chis Sau/sparring?Yes, in fact all elements of chum kui should effect your chi sau.

4) how has the Chum Kui developed your visual perception? Unsure what you mean by visual perception, if you are refering to peripheral vision then chum kui gives you a larger scope to deal with and tools to use for this. Unfortunately it still hasn't found a way to give you eyes in the back of your head.

5) Has your stance altered since you have started Chum Kiu?I'm sure it did, and it continued to alter and become more refined with bui tze, muk yan jong, baat cham do - i haven't done much pole yet so can say for sure but i'm sure that wil add alter my stance to some degree.

6) What do you feel is the fundamental element that the Chum Kiu develops?Are you asking for just one element? I mean each section is working 3 different elements at a fundamental level. to collectively refer to those i would say mobility.

7) what underlying principal do you think the name "Chum Kiu" represents?Bridge seeking, getting contact and control, using correct structure as best you can when making a bridge. Remember a bridge can be any contact, hitting the attacker in the face is making a bridge.

8) do you feel there is a particular technique that is more important in Chum Kiu?i feel there are 3 elements or concepts that are important, and over shadow the importance of technique. The concepts can be translated to different techniques. Lan sau and its relation to yourself and push and pull energy is focused on a lot in chum kui so if i were to go with a technique over a concept or principle i would say lan sau.

9) Do you feel it is more important to perform the form slowly or is speed more revant to the form?I would say that understand why you would inject speed and understand why you would do it slowly. Cadence is different and that is important, have more than one gear.

Let it begin

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
there is a thought that is common to wing chun that to search the bridge refers to what to do when you have made contact with the opponants forearm

Yes, that was what was in my mind. Thanks for the expanded treatement of this! The term "confined area" is new to me.

Latest Discussions