Chum Kiu Crazy!!!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in the day when I took private lessons from Sifu, I would write down notes about what he told me. I am one of those people who says, "That is so important, I won't forget it," and then promptly forget it. At any rate, the majority of my notes had to do with Chum Kiu because, while my wing chun hands are pretty good, I am having a hard time connecting my entire body.

One of my notes said, "During pivot, focus on pulling the butt cheek back." As humorous as that is to read, I can already feel it helping my chum kiu!

I have no idea if that will be interesting enough to inspire others to bother replying; I just thought it was cool and wanted to share!

PS: I love the alliteration thing (see subject line). If I ever write about Biu Jee, I will probably title the thread "Biu Jee Bonanza!"

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's helping your Wing Chun! In my school we use our knees to pivot by placing our weight on our front knee when pivoting.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my notes said, "During pivot, focus on pulling the butt cheek back."

So I suppose when you pivot, "You turn the other cheek"?

--Nevermind. I'm just a cheeky monkey. Whatever helps you raise your level of performance is good, and if it's funny too --well that's even better.

On the other hand that advice might not work equally for everybody since different lineages stand and turn differently. Perhaps you could explain how you turn, and how this helped?

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I suppose when you pivot, "You turn the other cheek"?

--Nevermind. I'm just a cheeky monkey. Whatever helps you raise your level of performance is good, and if it's funny too --well that's even better.

On the other hand that advice might not work equally for everybody since different lineages stand and turn differently. Perhaps you could explain how you turn, and how this helped?

ACtually, yes! :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in the day when I took private lessons from Sifu, I would write down notes about what he told me. I am one of those people who says, "That is so important, I won't forget it," and then promptly forget it. At any rate, the majority of my notes had to do with Chum Kiu because, while my wing chun hands are pretty good, I am having a hard time connecting my entire body.

One of my notes said, "During pivot, focus on pulling the butt cheek back." As humorous as that is to read, I can already feel it helping my chum kiu!

I have no idea if that will be interesting enough to inspire others to bother replying; I just thought it was cool and wanted to share!

PS: I love the alliteration thing (see subject line). If I ever write about Biu Jee, I will probably title the thread "Biu Jee Bonanza!"

To be honest , I think it is simpler to concentrate on just turning your center.
It's like when I first started learning to punch , for some reason I would fixate on throwing my hand forward.
It wasn't until I started to concentrate on just driving my elbow forward that I started to develop real power.

The movements are powered by the mind via the mind- muscle link , or in our case the mind - joints link , but it helps to have the right area to focus on.
But if you think that it really helps you then who am I to say otherwise.

Latest Discussions