Christianity and Self-Defense article

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have searched and searched, but can't find it.
I know a year or more ago there was a thread about whether as a Christian you should defend yourself, and there was a link to a good article about it with Biblical support. Does anyone remember that and could you point me to the article?
Thanks!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thou shall not kill? ...this should have read ..thou shall NOT MURDER..!

God kills too....when those soldiers cross the river when it was widen to cross and drown all those guys...he could have close the river before they cross it...he had the power to stop them on one side!

Being a Christian myself....one wonders.....

If god made us of his image? ...howcome we have cancers,illness,and imperfect bodys and health?

Loss some of the faith in God...today...Maybe I came from the dinosaurs?

YET! We all need to believe in a higher up...guidance!

Aloha, still searching for the truths!

Remember the bible was written by man....man is not perfect therefore...things will not be perfect...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score

God kills too....when those soldiers cross the river when it was widen to cross and drown all those guys...he could have close the river before they cross it...he had the power to stop them on one side!

Being a Christian myself....one wonders.....

Don't wonder anymore friend. :D Your first line was absolutely correct, it should read "Murder" not just kill. Here's an interesting article to back that point. LINK

If god made us of his image? ...howcome we have cancers,illness,and imperfect bodys and health?
I understand where you're coming from. In fact that's a very very common line of questioning. But there's an answer. God made us in his image, yet we have some very definite flaws. BUT: He didn't craft those flaws and instill them in us. They were the result of MAN's introduction of sin. When man rebelled against God then man entered into what christian theology calls a 'fallen state', where sin instigates the flawed nature we have now. Here's some links you might find helpful in pondering this point:
1: a YouTube video (short).
2: Article. "why does God Allow Suffering?"

Aloha, still searching for the truths!
Searching is critical! IF you search, in earnest, you will find. :D
LINK

Remember the bible was written by man....man is not perfect therefore...things will not be perfect...
I'd have to disagree. God's message reached us fully intact with everything we need for life here and life hereafter. There IS Truth to be found, but if you're seeking..... you're pointed in the right direction.

Praying for ya..

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I honestly don't know if either these are the articles you're looking for:
this first one is pretty short, but decent.

The second one comes in TWO parts:
ENTER the DRAGON pt. 1

ENTER the DRAGON pt. 2
The whole article is PRETTY long, but it does cover the subject VERY well. I Don't agree with ALL of it's conclusions, but maybe it will give you what you're looking for.

Your Brother
John

MattNinjaZX-14

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

My definition of self defense is not having hate or murder in your heart.

The fear and survival instinct causes someone to defend himself.

Murder and killing in justified self defense are two totally different things as far the denomination and stances of Christianity on this issue are concerned.

Just protect your family and yourself.

Keep religion and self defense separate then you will be o.k.

Don't make it harder or confusing. Keep it simple.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth:

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
Legitimate defense

2263 The legitimate defense of persons and societies is not an exception to the prohibition against the murder of the innocent that constitutes intentional killing. "The act of self-defense can have a double effect: the preservation of one's own life; and the killing of the aggressor. . . . The one is intended, the other is not."

2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow: [SIZE=-1]If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . . Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.[/SIZE]

2265 Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others. The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm. For this reason, those who legitimately hold authority also have the right to use arms to repel aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their responsibility.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Posts were split from this thread. Please stay on topic and leave the Study stuff there.
Thanks.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey sorry! Didn't mean to start a religion thread going, I just knew there was a good article on a thread on here somewhere awhile back that I wanted to share with a friend, and I really thought it was in the SD section. (For anyone who is interested, this is the link http://www.karateforums.com/martial-arts-and-the-bible-vt16672.html?highlight=christianity)
Thanks JKS that was it. I used every search word I could think of- but not just Christ.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little tip for using search engines... A lot of the time, you want to use the shortest part of the word/name that you're looking for, since many (not all) will find anything containing that combination, even if there's more after it.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Laurentkd Thanks for posting that the link you were searching for was found and then posting the link. All too often people ask for help in a thread then disappear never acknowledging if their questions or information sought was answered.

Thanks for the search tip jks9199 I know that my search-fu is very weak and can use all the help I can get.

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions