Choke Defense

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The problem I see with this given technique is that it is height sensitive. If your both the same or near the same height, it works. Plus it looks like more physical is being needed to make it happen. Change the height levels and it becomes a problem and that's the last thing needed when dealing with a choke. There are other simpler, more effective ways to disengage the choke, that will work without regards to physical stature. Examples; eye jabs, throat chop, palm to nose strike and I'm sure other folks can add a few more.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now first, when someone choaks you they put their thumbs on your windpipe. They then press in HARD. I assure you, in one second they will have you on the floor gaging!

So it's very imperative you get their hands off your windpipe!

Long time ago in John Chu's class we were taugh a pretty good choak defense. Now I see the same one used in Krav Maga.

The defense is simple. If not being pressed against a wall, just raise one arm high while stepping backward into a 'horse' stance with the opposite leg. While moving backward bring the raised arm down hard with the elbow onto the assailants forearms.

Two things are done at once. By stepping backward you pivot and get the attackers thumbs off your windpipe. And then the upraised arm slams down on the attackers forarms just as a fail safe.

Now if pressed against the wall, instead of a horse stance just twist the upper body while doing the same thing (the wall or whatever is behind you will give you some stability to do this.)

It's real simple, strong, and can be done very fast. And is not hight sensitive!

Deaf

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would it work? Like most techniques, it would probably work sometimes. I don't think it's a great technique if the guy is much stronger than you. I personally would prefer to go for his eyes.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now first, when someone choaks you they put their thumbs on your windpipe. They then press in HARD. I assure you, in one second they will have you on the floor gaging!

So it's very imperative you get their hands off your windpipe!

Long time ago in John Chu's class we were taugh a pretty good choak defense. Now I see the same one used in Krav Maga.

The defense is simple. If not being pressed against a wall, just raise one arm high while stepping backward into a 'horse' stance with the opposite leg. While moving backward bring the raised arm down hard with the elbow onto the assailants forearms.

Two things are done at once. By stepping backward you pivot and get the attackers thumbs off your windpipe. And then the upraised arm slams down on the attackers forarms just as a fail safe.

Now if pressed against the wall, instead of a horse stance just twist the upper body while doing the same thing (the wall or whatever is behind you will give you some stability to do this.)

It's real simple, strong, and can be done very fast. And is not hight sensitive!

Deaf
A similiar technique is the one I tend to teach, too. It's not strength depending, it's easy... and you can tie it to the same principles as a number of defenses against grabs, too. So one technique can get you a lot of mileage, which I think is very important in a general self defense class.

The technique shown in the video does work well -- especially when the two people involved are similar in size. It's not as strength dependent as it seems, either, and it works well when you don't have the room or mobility to twist through.

There are a lot of good points in the discussion leading up to the technique, though. You can't prepare realistically against unrealistic attacks or with techniques that don't recognize what's happening in the adrenaline charge moment of a real, life-or-death attack.

Last edited:

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jks9199,

I'm a strong beliver in using one technique to cover as many attacks as possible. The more universal the defense, the easier it is to train to become very fast and effective.

It shortens one's OODA loop in many ways, and that is a good thing!

Deaf

Kit_Jujitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
One thing we have practiced and researched into quite a lot in our style is hitting the arms in 2 directions at once.
Using our forearms, we hit underneath one of their arms and on the top of the other at the same time. Just like patting your head and rubbing your stomach, it takes a whole lot of thought for them to keep their hands around your neck. After that we just use whatever comes naturally.

Latest Discussions