Chizkun Bo

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2001
Messages
298
Reaction score
8
Location
Topeka, KS
Anyone have a formal kata for this weapon?
It is basically a small stick (about 4-6 inches) with a rope loop in the middle for the middle finger to fit through.

Thanks
jeremy bays
 
:asian:

From what your describing this weapon sounds like a variant of the weapon used for Yawara, it too was small, fit in the palm of the hand and was used to strike vital points. But, sorry I can't give you any direction with regard to your question.

:asian: :asian:
 
Originally posted by Samurai

Anyone have a formal kata for this weapon?
It is basically a small stick (about 4-6 inches) with a rope loop in the middle for the middle finger to fit through.

Thanks
jeremy bays

I've seen it as a "ninja" weapon. But I'm not sure at all.

/Yari
 
Yes we have a kata for that weapon.

It was originally used in Okinawa to pull in fishing nets or as a repair tool for them.
There is a string that goes through the middle so it stays on the finger. I have also heard the name trasnlated into Japanese as "Chisaiken bo" Small= chisai........ken= fist......bo= stick.
 
Is there anyway to get a copy of this kata on paper, video, or digital computer media?

I have a friend who teaches Ryukyu Kempo in Ohio that uses this weapon very effectivly, but does not have a kata for it. He is looking for a traditional kata for this great little weapon.


Thanks
Jeremy Bays

PS- He told me about using this device for the nets in Okinawa. That information lines right up with the research I have done.
 
Originally posted by Samurai

Is there anyway to get a copy of this kata on paper, video, or digital computer media?

I have a friend who teaches Ryukyu Kempo in Ohio that uses this weapon very effectivly, but does not have a kata for it. He is looking for a traditional kata for this great little weapon.

Actually no. At least not from our association. The reason being you can't learn MA from a video tape.
He would be better off seeking a qualified instructor and studying from them.
 
Yes, Togakure ryu and Asayama Ichiden ryu both have formal kata. It's also referred to as an eda koppo.
 
Actually no. At least not from our association. The reason being you can't learn MA from a video tape.

I COMPLETELY agree with this statement!!! I have seen too many "masters" that bought a 10-Days to Black Belt video and now think they are RULER OF THE MARTIAL ARTS WORLD.

My purpose was not to "learn" this kata from video, but instead to observe for historical purposes. I really should have made that more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays
 
Originally posted by Samurai



I COMPLETELY agree with this statement!!! I have seen too many "masters" that bought a 10-Days to Black Belt video and now think they are RULER OF THE MARTIAL ARTS WORLD.

My purpose was not to "learn" this kata from video, but instead to observe for historical purposes. I really should have made that more clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Might I still suggest you learn the weapon from a qualified instructor since video tapes are not very good at answering questions.
I think you would learn quicker this way as well.
 
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu

Does the Chizkun bo differ from the Yawara or is it the same thing?
Bob:asian:


The Yawara that I have seen are different. The Chizikunbo are cigar like with a string that goes through the middle of them and makes them fit like a ring.
 
I found a photo of some Chizikunbo.
 

Attachments

  • $chizi-w.jpg
    $chizi-w.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 358

Latest Discussions

Back
Top