chisao giggles

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Skinters, you have to stop doing chi sao when you are wearing the clown costume. It really doesn't help....

Seriously though, there are some people who train at wing chun as a hobby and mess around. I'm glad to say at Kamon, it is relaxed but people are concentrating. it is incredibly disrespectful to giggle at someone either in a spar, in chi sao or in a drill. I would simply stop and ask what the joke was. If they didn't answer, I would stop training with them and go and do forms or something

As Mook Jong has said the other way is to just smash them hard in the face. That might put a bit of concentration into their chi sao

There is a time for relaxed training and a time for intense training. But giggling is way beyond relaxed

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Skinters, you have to stop doing chi sao when you are wearing the clown costume. It really doesn't help....

Seriously though, there are some people who train at wing chun as a hobby and mess around. I'm glad to say at Kamon, it is relaxed but people are concentrating. it is incredibly disrespectful to giggle at someone either in a spar, in chi sao or in a drill. I would simply stop and ask what the joke was. If they didn't answer, I would stop training with them and go and do forms or something

As Mook Jong has said the other way is to just smash them hard in the face. That might put a bit of concentration into their chi sao

There is a time for relaxed training and a time for intense training. But giggling is way beyond relaxed

I believe that sifu should be the only one allowed to hit a student with impact in class. Anyone else may create an actual fight

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I believe that sifu should be the only one allowed to hit a student with impact in class. Anyone else may create an actual fight

well when doing chisao with my sifu i would ask him to strike me in the chest as a gauge to how much force is acceptable .

to me it comes down to control chisao is not fighting although obviously accpects of it can be used in a fight situation,and the skill for me is being able to stop your hand millimetres away from your partners face.

accidents can and do happen and are part and parcel of doing chisao .

if your class allows head gear and mits to be used then yes for that extra realism more contact can be made .

to be honest i dont mind the contact i mean aslong as there is that bit of control ,but can see how things can get out of hand especially if you happen to train with someone you dislike.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well when doing chisao with my sifu i would ask him to strike me in the chest as a gauge to how much force is acceptable .

to me it comes down to control chisao is not fighting although obviously accpects of it can be used in a fight situation,and the skill for me is being able to stop your hand millimetres away from your partners face.

accidents can and do happen and are part and parcel of doing chisao .

if your class allows head gear and mits to be used then yes for that extra realism more contact can be made .

to be honest i dont mind the contact i mean aslong as there is that bit of control ,but can see how things can get out of hand especially if you happen to train with someone you dislike.

Roll with mits on? Isn't that difficult?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
im thinking along the lines of non chisao drills.

If you really want to hammer each other in the chest wear those tae kwon do chest protectors also i don't advocate hitting partners in the head without head gear on but a good palm strike in the chest can wake people up a bit .

You don't want to get a reputation in the school as the guy with no control then no one will train with you especially when you start learning elbow strikes.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't training be fun too? As well as serious?
I don't condone laughing AT someone else while doing chi sau or any kind of training, but I think that the ability to laugh at yourself is commendable.

If their just too silly, just let them know your ready to get more serious for a few. If their not taking YOU seriously as a training partner, then that is a different issue altogether.

Personally, I love WC and training is fun for me (as well as very frustrating sometimes) I seem to learn better in a relaxed environment. If people start hitting me in training, then it cease's to be training real quick. I've never been one to tolerate fellow students or Sifu's who hit. That's not what I train for, to be hit. I train to keep from being hit.
Now, hubbie likes the rougher contact. But, I tend to take it personal, so I like to keep things friendly.

Having gear on is great for more full contact, too. It takes the fear reflex out of your opponent. "No fear with the head gear!" We joke in class.

But, that's sparring, Chi Sau is a different story. Your learning to feel your opponents energy force, and intention, not to really knock their block off. Your working sensitivity and learning to react to holes in your opponent's guard, and flow in the direction of their force.
Honestly, distraction whether someone giggles or curses you out is what one will have to learn to deal with in reality.
But, I train with a two year old running around laughing and squealing. If you can do chi sau with that ruckas going on you can use it whenever you need it. lol! ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When i was teaching, if the class was too tense, too serious, too aggressive, then i would move from one student to the next and make them smile, sometimes giggle, so they would relax a bit.
If the class was too giggly, then i would put on a stern face and would practice with few students very methodically. This means that i would try one or two techniques repeatdly that would result in a slap or a punch (but the movements will not stop). After few entries, the students would turn irritated and all giggling would stop.
Mood is contagious.
This said... you should focus on your own practice and not judge your partners'.
Also... what happens around you should not distract you from what you are doing.

Well put. Since I've returned to training this last year, I've been working with some people that have a great sense of humor and sometimes lighten the mood up just as you describe. We are all still quite serious about our practice. But a few laughs and smiles really help sometimes.

On the other hand, regarding those "giggles"...ever consider that skinters' partners are just dangerously insane? ...or totally high like some kind of WC Cheech and Chong? I once knew a kid who loved full contact fighting and every time he took a hard shot, he'd crack up laughing. If he got knocked out, he thought it was hilarious (when he came to). Last I heard he was in prison doing hard time...(this is a true story)...

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Not at all. If someone is being so disrespectful as to constantly giggle at you while doing a serious drill, then a wake up call is sometimes good.
There is a difference between a one off gigle when you get hit and someone who is just generally giggling at you constantly through a drill
Someone who is giggling all the time has issues and certainly wouldn't be welcome at my class

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
after looking at it again i see this giggling as just signs of nervousness,epsecially if you roll with someone you have just met,and maybe that is where it comes from?

i certaintly dont take it personal as along with everything else im not going to be the first nor the last to have this problem,but im starting to realise its not really a problem at all .

i think aswell i might have giving the impression of someone who constantly giggles throughout,but its not the case.i was just intrested to know where it comes from and realising its just a part of it.

im just sticking (forgive the pun) to my game,and realising not everyones the same.this is made more apparent doing chisao than anything else ive ever done.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not at all. If someone is being so disrespectful as to constantly giggle at you while doing a serious drill, then a wake up call is sometimes good.
There is a difference between a one off gigle when you get hit and someone who is just generally giggling at you constantly through a drill
Someone who is giggling all the time has issues and certainly wouldn't be welcome at my class

Because WARRIORS don't giggle? lol that's silly because we work off of fundamentals of being relax and at ease. Its like yin and yang. Cant be serious without periods of fun.

I know if someone we're to plant one on me because I giggled during training, it would create a physical fight and both students would be asked not to return.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm not talking about those moments where something happens and both students smile
I'm talking about idiots that giggle all the way through chi sao or lok saowhen you are trying to do it seriously. If you are both doing a relaxed 'play' then fair enough. But if you are trying to learn new techniques or drilling something in and a pratt is messing around then sometimes a wake up call is needed

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We sometimes take chi sau a little light hearted, I think it is way more fun than some hard a__ who takes it all to seriously, all the time. It's a training drill, not sparing for Pete sakes.

I giggle in Judo randori as well, must be obnoxious getting tossed by someone while they're laughing at you. :)

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As stated (for about the fifth time) I am not referring to a spar, roll, drill where both parties are gong light and doing it for fun

The original post was by someone who was trying to do chi sao while their partner was giggling at them throughout the drill. That is not the same as a friendly roll around in BJJ or light spar in karate. It is someone basically either mocking their partner or laughing at their physical appearance which is utterly disrespectful.

Seeker - if a person is tossing you while laughing at you - what you do in your own home is up to you

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
on reflection ive since come to realise that the ones who giggle laff whatever,are just nervous, i dont see it as i first found, wich was to put a midly a bit of a p*ss take.

one of the students i do chisao with is a bit of a laff he does take it serious but has bouts of giggling,especially if we clash or something unusual happens.

like i said ive since come to realise that its quite common, and on the whole helps me relax. in fact it was in the end instrumental in me losing my tenseness.

an example of this was me and my sifu were doing chisao, and he said my wu sau was so low he thought i was searching for something in my pocket,wich i replied yeah a gun ..its things like that wich helps me relax and my chisao is improving as a result.

sorry if i didnt make my first post a bit more clearer as it was typed a bit in the heat of the moment.

jase.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seeker - if a person is tossing you while laughing at you - what you do in your own home is up to you

:lfao::lfao::lfao::lfao:
Yeah, sometimes I forget, some phrases can sound completely different in other countries.

Latest Discussions