chisao giggles

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
when i chisao with certain people they laugh and giggle a lot .is this down to nervousness? i mean some are grinning and giggling like school kids .i was close to asking one guy whats the joke .

now i dont mind smiling and laughing on occasion, ie when you both have a good exchange, or something else happens ,but i feel some people are uneasy with the level of contact you get with chisao ,and all the giggling reflects this ...not sure.

another thing that annoys me is the constant oh sorry everytime someone makes contact ....im constantly reasuring people its ok ....im yet to have a good chisao session with out stopping for a chat,saying sorry for making contact,all this giggling and laughing .....

what gives?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Start palm striking through their fook sau hard and see if they're still laughing after that, start moving back and forth effecting their balance, force your bong sau thru and give them a tap on the side of the head.

If that doesn't make them start to concentrate i don't know what will. When they hit you and they apologise tell them its ok i'm not made of glass.

Do these people realize they are learning self defence and not flower arranging . If everyone in the class is like that and you can't find any one that will train hard it might be wise to find another Wing Chun school to train at because you are not going to get a realistic level of contact in that place.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like nervousness, especially they're lower ranked and this is fairly new to them. Mook Jong Man gave some excellent advice about getting a little rough with them to try and force concentration.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
to be honest i dont see it from beginners.

it does upset my concentration, i dont mind stopping to talk about various ways of improving etc ,but i would rather work up a good sweat and feel i have made some progress instead of feeling sometimes the quality is not there .

i feel aswell that there are those who are good but dont use it enough in giving good help and instruction to beginners,id rather some one tell me why they got through than just a quick exchange wich leaves me guessing .

im thinking its best to start asking for what i expect from who i train with .

such as:

1.dont appologise for making contact.
2.i want a sustained continuos roll

as for this nervousness im seeing even from those who are good i dont want to tell them to stop laughing and come across wrong ,but i have to start finding ways where i get keep the quality of my training high despite what others are doing .

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
to be honest i dont see it from beginners.

Huh. That surprises me.

it does upset my concentration, i dont mind stopping to talk about various ways of improving etc ,but i would rather work up a good sweat and feel i have made some progress instead of feeling sometimes the quality is not there .

i feel aswell that there are those who are good but dont use it enough in giving good help and instruction to beginners,id rather some one tell me why they got through than just a quick exchange wich leaves me guessing .

im thinking its best to start asking for what i expect from who i train with .

such as:

1.dont appologise for making contact.
2.i want a sustained continuos roll

as for this nervousness im seeing even from those who are good i dont want to tell them to stop laughing and come across wrong ,but i have to start finding ways where i get keep the quality of my training high despite what others are doing .

Yeah, I can imagine it would upset your concentration. Does your Sifu ever comment on this behavior during class? I think you got it right with starting to clearly state what you expect to your training partners. Perhaps a word on the side with your Sifu would help as well.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thanks jade.

what i notice by a lot of begginers when it come to nervous giggles and laughing, is by the most part they are concentrating so much on doing things right, that they seem to do it less ,i know not all .

i am talking more with my sifu about the things i mention and at the very least its getting it off my chest knowing someone else either agrees or know its just part of it .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is very strange that senior people act like that in your school . When i remember rolling with senior people there would be silence and no emotion in there face the only noise would be me getting smacked around.

After we finished they would tell me your tan sau was dropping, your fook sau was off center etc that is how i improved . There must be someone there that takes it serious , train with them and stay away from the time wasters.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thats the very thing im looking for ,i dont mind being hit ,and when theres an apology everytime it stops me getting into any kind of rhythem (can never spell that haha)....

its seems to be a mixture of those who mess around irrespective of the level they at and those who have a better understanding of the learning process .

as my sifu likes us to practice with everyone to get a better feel of training with different partners ,its not easy to pick and choose who you train with .

i appreciate your wise words

thanks

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as my sifu likes us to practice with everyone to get a better feel of training with different partners ,its not easy to pick and choose who you train with .

And that's a good thing...having to train with various partners. But we all have those we prefer and those we don't. I have preferred training partners at my school too. It always kind of sucks getting paired with someone who hinders your own training. Sometimes even those who try to help too much can hinder you.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe my instructors were just sadists :whip1:
What if you got a friend thats a bit of a rugged individual and taught him chi sau , then you can train hard at your place with out all the b.s and you just go to the school to learn the applications , that is if you don't want to find another school to train in.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Huh. I was going to say that good energy is contagious, and some folks can get heady on it. I always find that crossing hands with certain folks, especially when experiencing another's good technique, heightens a feeling of well-being and I find myself constantly smiling. There is a definite 'bouancy' (sp?), that borders on giggleness, in some parts of practice. But I don't get that with everyone.

Also, do you have a lot of women in your class?

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
cheers harlan

ps dont i know you from somewhere? haha

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thats the very thing im looking for ,i dont mind being hit ,and when theres an apology everytime it stops me getting into any kind of rhythem (can never spell that haha)....

It's to my understanding that you want to stay away from rhythm because it commits you to the next set of moves out of habit. It should appear rhythmic if both practitioners are flowing at the same rate and reacting to each others feeling.

As for the others giggling and it breaking your concentration....You obviously weren't too focused in the first place. Do your thing, and when done properly...no one will be able to break your concentration.

I think lightening up will aid your training. It will allow you to focus better and concentrate less. You don't want to get into a fight and have to concentrate. You want to be able to focus on everything that's going on around you and this is done through relaxation. Concentrating causes your mind and eyes to pin point exact objects or targets. When doing this you're not able to view 3 objects at once, you end up seeing 1 object at 3 different times. By the time you notice the 3rd object, the first one just got ya.

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When i was teaching, if the class was too tense, too serious, too aggressive, then i would move from one student to the next and make them smile, sometimes giggle, so they would relax a bit.
If the class was too giggly, then i would put on a stern face and would practice with few students very methodically. This means that i would try one or two techniques repeatdly that would result in a slap or a punch (but the movements will not stop). After few entries, the students would turn irritated and all giggling would stop.
Mood is contagious.
This said... you should focus on your own practice and not judge your partners'.
Also... what happens around you should not distract you from what you are doing.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I chuckle if I do something really weird. I mean really really weird. But, thats about all.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
brocklee,justavisitor

you have made me realise not to be so analytical about it and lighten up .i was seeing it from just one point of view ..mine

there is always 2 sides to a coin its good to see the other side.

thanks all .

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

People are different. Some of my students laugh and/or swear when I maneuver them into disadvantageous positions and hit them!

They do it in amazement, frustration and/or renewed determination to get me!

Chi sao is fun. Sparring is fun. Getting hit hurts, yet it is fun!

That is what makes us have Warrior Spirit.

The harder I get hit, the more fun it is, and if I'm hurt, I get an insane grin that means that the fun is starting!

My students mostly are the same.

Even though Silence is Golden in Wing Chun, Chi sao is really fun, and I think it is ok.

Though, I know it is not everyone's reaction, and I know some that have poker faces all along. That is ok too.

Many times, while I do Chi sao, I talk about what I'm going and how I'm going to accommodate them and hit them... and it is funny that they have no choice but to comply even though they are resisiting all the while!

Chi sao tends to be relaxed and low stress exercise... yet it should also be practiced with high stress level and pressure. There, things change. The intent is more aggresive, forceful and combative.

Again, Yin/Yang. Playing with extremes to find the middle way.

Hope this helps.

Juan M. Mercado

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My husband and I practice and learn WC in a different manner. Speaking for the giggling bunch, I laugh and smile while practicing mostly because it's fun and I enjoy chi sau. My hubbie, on the other hand, is more serious and doesn't twitch a face muscle.

Personally, I learn WC better when I'm relaxed and comfortable with someone I'm training with. Usually, I laugh at silly mistakes, or some of the weird attempts at defending myself when hubbie gets through. It keeps me from getting so frustrated, takes the pressure off (that I sometimes put on myself) to learn technique properly.
I figure it's a good thing to be able to laugh at onesself. But, I do try to keep the talking to a minimum, and keep it straight long enough to train seriously.
Besides, when their's hitting involved, I figure it's best to keep things light hearted and not so serious so people don't get to upset in training. I guess it depends on what your training for.

Some of the best stuff I've done in Chi Sau was when I wasn't paying alot of attention to my/our arms and technique while drilling. It makes it easier for me to feel the opponent if I'm not totally absorbed in thinking about what I'm doing. Thinking too much will mess up the Chi Sau.

I used to say things to distract the student's when working with them in Chi Sau. (Only if they were stiff and concentrating to hard on what they were doing) 90% of the time when I cracked a joke or distracted them they would finally do a new technique right. Then, they'd stop and say, I did it! What did I do?! And we'd continue drilling until it was relaxed muscle memory. But, I'd save that for people that were having a hard time and getting frustrated trying too hard to accomplish a certian move or moves. When their ready for improv, then that's when it gets really fun!
Besides, these techniques should be able to flow whether your distracted or not. But, everyone learns differently and I try to be conciencious with different partners.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
another great post thankyou very much

Latest Discussions