" Chinese Wrestling "

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Must teachers are not fit enough to go toe to toe with a teenager. Being older and out of shape puts them at a big disadvantage. Self defense for nost of them will need to be more preventive. Maybe educate teens at an early age about the law. Some teens do things because they know they are under 18. They don't have a good understanding of the exception that would make it legal for an adult to hit a teen.

Most? I’d say the vast majority. I would recommend every teacher to learn self defense of some type, regardless of what school they’re teaching at. We had a teacher train at my old gym years ago, and learning grappling saved her life. She got trained in how to grapple with teens because she actually grappled with teens of different sizes and power during training.

By the time of her attack, she was a very solid blue belt who was very good at escaping holds and pins, and exceptional at back takes.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrestlers had dominated Judo for decades. It was a running joke that wrestlers would enter Judo comps and win. I do believe a big reason for the Olympic Judo rule change after 2008 was because a Mongolian wrestler ended up winning gold or silver by doing double-leg takedowns. Even embarrassing one of Japan's top Judoka. TBF, but the only grappling style that blunted wrestling's dominance in the grappling realm was Bjj. Judo could have done it, but Kano's hang-ups on ground grappling, and the push for Judo in the Olympics following WW2 stopped that from happening. It was the Brazilians who took Judo to its most logical stylistic conclusion.
Where can I read about wrestlers dominating judo worldwide for decades? I'd love to learn if this is true or just your viewpoint.

Not that I disagree, but again, when I did Judo, it was on par with all other wrestling I'd done before. If you're talking D1 level, I might agree more. But for average players, I've seen many a wrestler, even collegiate level ones, fit right in Judo and not dominate. More like pollenate, or it's good to have them in Judo classes (just like it's good to have Sambo, jujutsu, BJJ dudes as well).

But damn if this is the case, it might be time to go back and get my judo black belt. It would be a cake walk if I could find the time.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the sad reality & against a gang it's difficult.
Does anybody else get spammed with the VShred dude when trying to watch these? Telling me how my cardio will never help me lose weight and I need his program?

Trying to figure out if it's just me.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody else get spammed with the VShred dude when trying to watch these? Telling me how my cardio will never help me lose weight and I need his program?

i´m no computer GEEK but maybe you need a better anti virus blocker
I changed recently my internet source & got a free Norton anti virus. works great. I normally just used free AVG or something like that.
of course this pc is just for my entertainment.. working from home work wise protect with a top anti virus

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where can I read about wrestlers dominating judo worldwide for decades? I'd love to learn if this is true or just your viewpoint.
Not that I disagree, but again, when I did Judo, it was on par with all other wrestling I'd done before. If you're talking D1 level, I might agree more. But for average players, I've seen many a wrestler, even collegiate level ones, fit right in Judo and not dominate. More like pollenate, or it's good to have them in Judo classes (just like it's good to have Sambo, jujutsu, BJJ dudes as well).

But damn if this is the case, it might be time to go back and get my judo black belt. It would be a cake walk if I could find the time.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks!! Just for that dude, this is for you.

I'd like to know how many times watching this video you exclaim out loud. At 30s in I was on my feet, howling like a monkey.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must have missed it about the WC guys in MMA. Do they fight like the traditional WC or they fight like MMA?

If they start fighting like MMA, it's a different story, then it's not WC. Remember, those CMA people are very STUBBORN, they believe in following the tradition and history, that's the reason they got beat over and over. If they are humble and learn the things that WORK, sky is the limit. That's how it should be.
It's WC if they use WC principles, which are uber simple short range boxing. Snake, Crane, and Dragon. It's not rocket science. I could teach you in a day, dude.

There's even a pro boxer LEGEND on Martial Talk who has been posting about how he discovered the overlap between heavyweight boxing and Wing Chun!

And it depends on the tradition. There are really stubborn CMA schools out there that do get beaten over and over (chances are, they do not have San Shou/San Da teams and just decided to take on a fight they were destined to lose, which was Xiaodong's point), and there are schools that don't, that are definitely Chinese in flavor, and have hundreds of years of full contact tradition. These are some of the toughest people on the planet, standing or gruond.
Chinese writing and painting are very good also..............BUT their music standard...........BAD too, this is speaking as a musician myself. I am a lot better as a musician than MA I can ever be. I was professional and won a lot of competition in HK in the 70s!!!!
awww...well there's only so much you can do with 5 tones. Please keep in mind I know nothing about Chinese music other than their use of pentatonics.
I just call it as it is. They want to brag, go win some fights in the octagon with their tradition style, then we talk. Don't fight like MMA and claim they are CMA. I know there are good Chinese MMA fighter, I just saw a few fights not too long ago. They are MMA, they are very good too. AND please don't start telling me CMA have all the moves in MMA 1000 years ago!!!!B
But there is no such style as "MMA", it's a mix of anything, truly. Even if you go to an MMA school, it's probably going to be a mix of traditional martial arts and modern training equipment/routines. There are MMA schools that teach CMA too, because a lot of MA comes from CMA (it's really, really old).

I know THREE professional MMA fighters and al three were heavy CMA guys.

And again, China developed boxing and wrestling 4,000+ years ago (in writing, but it's probably millions of years old). Brazil wasn't a country until 1822, but I'm sure there's a South American boxing/wrestling ancestor in that continent too.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's WC if they use WC principles, which are uber simple short range boxing. Snake, Crane, and Dragon. It's not rocket science. I could teach you in a day, dude.

There's even a pro boxer LEGEND on Martial Talk who has been posting about how he discovered the overlap between heavyweight boxing and Wing Chun!

And it depends on the tradition. There are really stubborn CMA schools out there that do get beaten over and over (chances are, they do not have San Shou/San Da teams and just decided to take on a fight they were destined to lose, which was Xiaodong's point), and there are schools that don't, that are definitely Chinese in flavor, and have hundreds of years of full contact tradition. These are some of the toughest people on the planet, standing or gruond.

awww...well there's only so much you can do with 5 tones. Please keep in mind I know nothing about Chinese music other than their use of pentatonics.

But there is no such style as "MMA", it's a mix of anything, truly. Even if you go to an MMA school, it's probably going to be a mix of traditional martial arts and modern training equipment/routines. There are MMA schools that teach CMA too, because a lot of MA comes from CMA (it's really, really old).

I know THREE professional MMA fighters and al three were heavy CMA guys.

And again, China developed boxing and wrestling 4,000+ years ago (in writing, but it's probably millions of years old). Brazil wasn't a country until 1822, but I'm sure there's a South American boxing/wrestling ancestor in that continent too.
The definition of MMA is mixing different styles, taking the best of every style and put them together. CMA put a lot of emphasis on their unique moves, like WC sticky hands, Choi Le Fut has it's way of punching, and there is eagle claw, prey mentis and all that with very distinct way. If they start mixing in more useful stuff, it's an improvement, BUT that's not what they are SO PROUD of and all the talks about STICKING to tradition and claim superior. So it can either MMA where it's practical or following their pride and stuck with everything traditional.

So don't talk big about their tradition and then use outside of their style and go fight. They want to call themselves modern style and start learning from others to get better, MORE BLESSING for them. BUT you know that's not how it works with CMA.

Like my TKD school in the 80s, my teacher taught Bruce Lee kick boxing style, not TKD even though it's TKD school. BUT he NEVER once talk about how great is TKD and all that. At the time, it's very advance in 1984. He even invited JJ instructor once a while to teach the class. This is the kind of good school I honor. BUT you know most of the CMA school are NOT like this. They talk a lot, straight tradition. My school was like MMA of the older days combining boxing and new TKD kicks of Bruce Lee, how many CMA school can say that?

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The definition of MMA is mixing different styles, taking the best of every style and put them together. CMA put a lot of emphasis on their unique moves, like WC sticky hands, Choi Le Fut has it's way of punching, and there is eagle claw, prey mentis and all that with very distinct way. If they start mixing in more useful stuff, it's an improvement, BUT that's not what they are SO PROUD of and all the talks about STICKING to tradition and claim superior. So it can either MMA where it's practical or following their pride and stuck with everything traditional.

So don't talk big about their tradition and then use outside of their style and go fight. They want to call themselves modern style and start learning from others to get better, MORE BLESSING for them. BUT you know that's not how it works with CMA.

Like my TKD school in the 80s, my teacher taught Bruce Lee kick boxing style, not TKD even though it's TKD school. BUT he NEVER once talk about how great is TKD and all that. At the time, it's very advance in 1984. He even invited JJ instructor once a while to teach the class. This is the kind of good school I honor. BUT you know most of the CMA school are NOT like this. They talk a lot, straight tradition. My school was like MMA of the older days combining boxing and new TKD kicks of Bruce Lee, how many CMA school can say that?
How much CMA have you actually trained Alan?

You seem to have a very narrow viewpoint, that's just me being honest. WC Sticking hands, Choy Li Fut strikes...are all MMA 101. There's nothing unique in any CMA style (not talking modern Wushu).

Now if you've only seen movies and TV shows, I can understand why you feel this strongly. If you had trained in a good school with a comp team, I don't think you would.

Why the strong bias? Maybe you just need to train in a good CMA school that does actually does Sanda? It's not that hard to find those schools.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How much CMA have you actually trained Alan?

You seem to have a very narrow viewpoint, that's just me being honest. WC Sticking hands, Choy Li Fut strikes...are all MMA 101.
Almost a year in WC and White Brow. BUT I knew a lot of people that trained and even taught in Hong Kong. That's how they are, tradition. You have to put the hand in exactly that position and body exactly like that...........

Seen too many of them through out the years.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost a year in WC and White Brow. BUT I knew a lot of people that trained and even taught in Hong Kong. That's how they are, tradition. You have to put the hand in exactly that position and body exactly like that...........

Seen too many of them through out the years.
I hear you. They must seem very entrenched over there. I don't like those schools either, but I learned to accept them as low hanging fruit ;)

I watched Kill Bill Vol 2 again last night, I remembered learning Bak Mei, and the meaning of Saam Chuen, which is kind of like Yut Chuen. What if your opponent is 3, 1, or zero inches away!

Started busting out shadowboxing Snake and Mantis style. The dude next to me almost dropped his beer when I dropped to the ground and popped back up with a BJJ technical standup.

Crane style eyeball snatching scene is still gross.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hear you. They must seem very entrenched over there. I don't like those schools either, but I learned to accept them as low hanging fruit ;)

I watched Kill Bill Vol 2 again last night, I remembered learning Bak Mei, and the meaning of Saam Chuen, which is kind of like Yut Chuen. What if your opponent is 3, 1, or zero inches away!

Started busting out shadowboxing Snake and Mantis style. The dude next to me almost dropped his beer when I dropped to the ground and popped back up with a BJJ technical standup.

Crane style eyeball snatching scene is still gross.
Are you Chinese?

I so wish CMA can win. Just find ways to make it work against grappling and ground game. I don't like to keep trashing CMA, but they really need to be humble and admit they don't have all the answers and there's nothing wrong to learn the modern ways and EVOLVE. That it doesn't matter who invented first, just evolve, improve and go win before talking.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your buddy is choking someone outside the bar, you’d still soccer kick the guy he’s choking. So instead of just getting kicked, the guy is getting choked too.

In short, fighting in the street is a bad idea, and should be avoided.
What I said was, if someone is choking my buddy, then I will kick them. Yeah fighting is a bad idea. Unless it’s not.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Eh, I doubt I’d get involved in something like that. If I think it looks sketchy, I’d notify the police. There’s self defense, protecting others, and then there’s trying to be Batman without a costume. That can get you killed.
I've done it before but not for a woman. An adult was trying to pick a fight with a teenager (I was in Australia at the time). I saw the thing go down from the beginning and to the end. I step in and protected the teen. I think seeing it from beginning to end is what made it easier for me to step in. I didn't call the police then because I didn't have a cell phone. I would have to do a lot of analysis for me to do the same for a woman. Domestic disputes can be really nasty and depending on what happens between me and the guy causing the problems. The woman may actually turn on me. There is definitely no one answer that will fit all scenarios.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Delete all of your cookies

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh, I doubt I’d get involved in something like that. If I think it looks sketchy, I’d notify the police. There’s self defense, protecting others, and then there’s trying to be Batman without a costume. That can get you killed.
Pimps don’t take kindly to “Captain save a ho“ coming to the rescue. I promise that can get you whipped by him and the ho at the same time.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for showing this picture. This was the 1st technique that I learned to against shooting. When your opponent shoots in, you use overhook and leg lift to throw him down.

I have never seen this shooting counter used in UFC.

leg_lift_against_shoot.jpg

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pimps don’t take kindly to “Captain save a ho“ coming to the rescue. I promise that can get you whipped by him and the ho at the same time.
yeah that's a good example of me calling the police and recording video on my phone. The last thing I want to do is to waste my life on someone who wouldn't appreciate the cost.
This is the sad reality & against a gang it's difficult.
Wow...That was a big storm. I didn't want the chocolate before, now I definitely don't want it. I hate to see what short changing them would do lol. But seriously that's a tough situation to be in. I'm not taking up for the teens. Nothing justifies what they did. But I am curious to know if words were exchanged. I wonder if this was one of those situations where you just take an insult, be punked and walked away. I have a difficult time seeing this happening out of the blue. From the news, the manager went out to tell them to leave. Yeah my job doesn't pay me enough money to do such things. It would have been a police call off the back

"According to Plano police, two young boys, between 10 and 13 years old, were trying to sell chocolate bars to customers inside the restaurant when employees asked them to leave." Dang are those ages right? 10? I can see 13 but 10? I wonder if the ages are why no one try to punch the kids? Adults don't want to go to jail for hitting kids.

Oh by the way @Alan0354 if you want to know when BJJ doesn't work. This is it right here. Situations like this you want to really have as much mobility as possible. No matter how effective it is in MMA, It won't get you out of these type of situations. This isn't a put down on BJJ. It's just that ground fighting is wrong plan for this situation.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for showing this picture. This was the 1st technique that I learned to against shooting. When your opponent shoots in, you use overhook and leg lift to throw him down.

I have never seen this shooting counter used in UFC.

View attachment 29158
I'm trying to figure how this outcome came about. I wonder what the shoot was targeting

Latest Discussions