Chinese Wrestling Single Leg - hand on knee

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I start this thread because someone asked me about "hand on knee" throws. The big difference between the Chinese wrestling "single leg" and western wrestling "single leg" is in Chinese wrestling, you only use one hand to get your opponent's leading leg behind the knee. You use the other hand to deal with your opponent's shoulder, neck, or arm.

Chinese wrestling has more than 20 different ways to get your opponent's leading leg. Here are the 3 most basic Chinese wrestling "single leg".

No matter what MA style that you may train, these 3 techniques should be easily integrated into your system. It's simple to learn and easy to use.

1. 扣 (Kou) - knee seizing

2. 掏 (Tao) - inner knee seizing

3. 错 (Cuo) - criss cross

Last edited by a moderator:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of how I had learned to do it. The other hand was used to push, or if close enough elbow to help facilitate the takedown instead of also grabbing the leg. Seems to be more "striker friendly" than the pure grappling version.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems to be more "striker friendly" than the pure grappling version.

The western wrestling "single leg" has a "pure sport" mind set that striking is not even considered in the game. When you use 2 hands to get your opponent's leg, you will give your opponent 2 free hands. If you can use one hand to push your opponent's leading arm, use it to jam his back arm, you can disable both of his arms at the same time. This is very important when striking is allowed in the game. Also, the harder that you push, the easier that your opponent's leading leg will come off the ground and move into your hand.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread kung fu wang. I like the videos but the one throw I was inquiring about is the variations of this one.

http://youtu.be/gibD8YtktgI

Do you have any pointers on this style and the variations of it and sorry i didn't know the proper term for it hence the confusion.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You don't come across an experienced Shuai Jiao practitioner often hence why I sent the PM to you.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread kung fu wang. I like the videos but the one throw I was inquiring about is the variations of this one.

??? ?? ?? Shuai-chiao Pulling Throw from the Muay Thai Clinch - YouTube

Do you have any pointers on this style and the variations of it and sorry i didn't know the proper term for it hence the confusion.
Now you are talking about "手别 (Shou Bie) - hand block" or "拉(La) - pulling". When your opponent uses "double neck ties" on you, he just gives you a free contact point that you can take advantage on it. You use the principle "If your opponent want to bend his arms, you will help him to bend more than he wants to".

The technique "别 (Bie) - block" is to use your leg or your hand to block your opponent's leg. You can use it as hand only and that will be called "hand block". You can use your leg only while pulling your opponent's arm with both of your arms and that will be called "pulling".

The "手别 (Shou Bie) - hand block" is demonstrated at 0.30 here.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The western wrestling "single leg" has a "pure sport" mind set that striking is not even considered in the game. When you use 2 hands to get your opponent's leg, you will give your opponent 2 free hands. If you can use one hand to push your opponent's leading arm, use it to jam his back arm, you can disable both of his arms at the same time. This is very important when striking is allowed in the game. Also, the harder that you push, the easier that your opponent's leading leg will come off the ground and move into your hand.

Not really. The video you showed is more a variant of the double leg not the single. That has different set ups. So for example you hit your throw. He pulls out then you single leg the other leg. Which is now exposed.

And because we are doing knee taps.

If he defends the single you can move right into the knee tap.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0PswqHWDVc8

As far as punching out of the single leg. The more they do that the less they are defending the takedown.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So do you feel this is a valuable throw to drill and add Wang?

I've always found in interesting and have caught a few people by surprise with it in my judo when we use to free throw each other.

Just like parting the wild horses main throw from TCC some times catches them off guard.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So do you feel this is a valuable throw to drill and add Wang?

Are you talking about "single leg" or "hand block"?

The nice thing about "single leg" is if your opponent wants to attack you, he has to move in his leading leg, it will give you a chance to apply "single leg" on him. Sometime in sparring/wrestling when you are tired, you just waited for your opponent to move in, you then used it to take him down. IMO, it's a good skill to have.

Last edited:

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Are you talking about "single leg" or "hand block"?

The nice thing about "single leg" is if your opponent wants to attack you, he has to move in his leading leg, it will give you a chance to apply "single leg" on him. Sometime in sparring/wrestling when you are tired, you just waited for your opponent to move in, you then used it to take him down. IMO, it's a good skill to have.

Hand block throw.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The "hand block" is to use your hand to do your leg job. The linear hand block is similar to "front/slant cut (Osoto Gari)". The circular "hand block" is similar to "leg block (O Guruma)". You usually train both "hand block" and "leg block" as a "group".

You

- first use your hand to block your opponent's leg. If he escapes,
- you then use your leg to block his leg. If he escapes again,
- you then work on his other leg and that will be called "合(He) - hand/leg inner hook".

Again, you can either use your hand or leg to do that job.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers.

Shuai Jiao is one of the styles i always wanted to take and by the time i found a school I was already an instructor in a different style so out if respect for my sifu I didn't cross train.

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers.

Shuai Jiao is one of the styles i always wanted to take and by the time i found a school I was already an instructor in a different style so out if respect for my sifu I didn't cross train.

Why would you not cross train in shuai jiao? Lots of intrctors and kungfu guys cross train shuai jiao because it has a lot of good throws in it. i went to my home town in china a little while back and most peoplee there did shuai jiao as well as another style but that might be cause shuai jiao was pretty popular in the small town idk.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why would you not cross train in shuai jiao? Lots of intrctors and kungfu guys cross train shuai jiao because it has a lot of good throws in it. i went to my home town in china a little while back and most peoplee there did shuai jiao as well as another style but that might be cause shuai jiao was pretty popular in the small town idk.

It was out of respect for my Sifu since I was being directly taught by him instead of another instructor.

Pretty much being an adult working a full time 50 hour a week job and then teaching for another 25 hours a week kind of takes up training time. So instead of spreading my time thin i concentrated on the quality of instruction I was privileged enough to receive from Sifu. We still cross trained in our grappling and yang tai chi as well.

Latest Discussions