Children Cage-Fighting?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waving your hands in the air and declaring it a non-issue does not make it a non-issue. Nixon tried that. Didn't work for him either.

You don't get to decide what the public considers an issue. The public does. I'm sorry you don't get that.

I completely understand your explanation of what happened; but you've ignored my comments about how the event was presented, so let me put it more bluntly; putting those kids in a cage marked 'CAGE' in huge letters was flat-out stupid. Whomever did that was an idiot. I don't care if they are friends of yours or not; if you did it, I'd tell you you're an idiot for doing so. It's not about what happened there, it's about public perception.

And the government reaction often comes long after the original 'issue' in the press. You may think it's long done and buried in the UK, but you may be in for a surprise down the road. And pretending it doesn't matter does not make it not matter. It matters because people do not understand the difference between 'Cage matches' and 'grappling' and they'll go with that the easiest explanation; in this case, the signs and the cage lending credence to the old theory that if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Bill we are fully aware as I think you can see from my comments of the effects of this and other things in UK MMA, I was pointing out however that here while it's new to you, it's an old story here. We are certainly working on MMA's image here, we've been doing a lot of PR work in the few weeks since this story ran. I never said it didn't matter, I was pointing out that it's been a while since this happened. We are constantly working to do what we can to improve UK MMA. we are currently waiting to see what effect the TUF will have on perceptions here as Paul McVeigh is a somewhat colourful character.

The children did their demo as the first event then went home. The other matches of amateur fights, carried on after they left. Children aren't encouraged to stay for adult fights.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still remember a commercial I saw done by TapOut that showed two young kids with mohawks training MMA and then giving their best scowls at the camera and trying to look as tough as possible. I thought it was a dumb commercial because instead of highlighting the kids training and positive aspects that could be gained, they only played into the public perception held that MMA fighters are just thugs and bullies.

Those close to the game/sport know that is not true, but public perception is that. I remember talking with a couple of exchange students from Brazil one time about BJJ and they both said (different students a couple years apart) that only thugs trained that. Down there, all of the fights that went on between clubs caused the same public perception about it.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I saw absolutely nothing to be concerned about. It's wrestling in a cage, that's all. The kid that was crying, was doing so because his feelings were hurt - not due to injury.

I have a couple of students that would do great in this type of sport - how do I get them involved? Looks like a lot of fun.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw absolutely nothing to be concerned about. It's wrestling in a cage, that's all. The kid that was crying, was doing so because his feelings were hurt - not due to injury.

I have a couple of students that would do great in this type of sport - how do I get them involved? Looks like a lot of fun.

Stevebjj is your best bet for info, it's sub grappling, plenty of clubs around. It is great fun, it's mentally challenging as well. I recommend it!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a pretty good summation. The cage gave it an air of a circus, didn't it? Mad Max and all that. UFC and all that. Bloodsport and all that.

If it was high-school wrestling, it would not attract so much as a yawn from the media, and there would be no controversy. Done on a mat, in a high school gymnasium, as it has always been.

Put it in a public venue and set up a cage around it with banners that say "CAGE" in huge letters kinds of gives the impression that it is a 'CAGE MATCH', eh?

If it's just grappling, I certainly have no problem with it.

But imagine if a high school prom dance was set up on a pole-dancing stage, tickets sold, and banners draped about proclaiming "DRUNKEN TEENAGE SNOGGING LIVE ONSTAGE!" Might be a teensy bit of outrage, even if it was actually just a basic prom dance.

Image is everything.

Good points Bill! :) Of course, we can't forget who is at fault for the advertising....its either the media who distorts things or the promoters who're trying to sell a product, so of course they spice it up, sadly, even if it means making it out to something its not. Tez made that point in her OP.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Stevebjj is your best bet for info, it's sub grappling, plenty of clubs around. It is great fun, it's mentally challenging as well. I recommend it!
JudoChampion, based on your profile information, I'm sure you're in touch with your local grappling community. There are tournaments all over the place for all ages. In Washington, we have 4 pretty big ones each year, plus several smaller ones within the tri-state area.

No cages, though. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points Bill! :) Of course, we can't forget who is at fault for the advertising....its either the media who distorts things or the promoters who're trying to sell a product, so of course they spice it up, sadly, even if it means making it out to something its not. Tez made that point in her OP.

That particular event wasn't advertised, it was private. The cage as I said was hired, they cost a few thousand pounds to buy as do enough mats to cover a floor for comps, cages you can hire for a smallish amount, mats you can't. Local leisure centres charge quite a bit for hire and in poor areas (and Preston is a very poor area) clubs can't afford to hire places like that hence the need for working mens clubs. I know quite a few martial arts clubs that train in clubs like that, even an MMA one which every other club who could sent them a mat!

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
JudoChampion, based on your profile information, I'm sure you're in touch with your local grappling community. There are tournaments all over the place for all ages. In Washington, we have 4 pretty big ones each year, plus several smaller ones within the tri-state area.

No cages, though. :)
What we have is NAGA - North Americen Grappling Association - NO cages. In fact, one of my students won a Title Belt, this past Sunday, 9/25/11, in the expert division - 8 y/o under 50 lbs.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we have is NAGA - North Americen Grappling Association - NO cages. In fact, one of my students won a Title Belt, this past Sunday, 9/25/11, in the expert division - 8 y/o under 50 lbs.

Well done!

I looked at the NAGA website, there's far more money there than any of us have here. Looks good though.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, this one I can nail because I know the people concerned, the video btw was posted on the internet without the parent's permission. The boys weren't 'cage fighting' they were grappling/wrestling (no strikes at all) in an exhibition match in a small promotion. The media picked this up and turned it into a circus.

I'll share this with my wife, because this is EXACTLY what we thought was really going on when we saw it on the news. ****ing irresponsible media.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll share this with my wife, because this is EXACTLY what we thought was really going on when we saw it on the news. ****ing irresponsible media.

It's sensationalist and gets people ranting which is what sells newpapers and advertising on the television. One report went on saying the British Board of Control for MMA was investigating and was 'disgusted' by it. That would be fine if there were such a board! We have no governing bodies for MMA, we govern ourselves.
As I said in hindsight what was a simple small promotion was turned into a massive child cage fight night by some and we'll now make sure that children don't perform or go near a cage in future. The story is an old one, dead in the media but it's given us a chance to mend fences and many of us have replied to the media, Rosi has been interviewed several times as have other responsible and articulate members of UK MMA. We are working hard to see that we present MMA in a way that is attractive to fans but doesn't portray our sport as brutal. There are MMA fight nights on television here and the commentators, presenters and the promotions themselves BAMMA and Cagewarriors are careful how they present these programmes.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heres what I think:

Nobody is forcing these Kids to participate. Be it MMA or Grappling.

Thats all, really.
And it isnt even what the Media is making it out to be.