Karate pensioner floors competitors half his age

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great story to liven up my day!

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/9268698.Karate_pensioner_floors_competitors_half_his_age/

A pensioner has defeated competitors half his age by winning gold at a world karate tournament.

Sri Lankan Sellathurai Ganeshalingam, known to his vanquished foes as Ganesh, carried home the award from the 22nd International Karate Championships in Indiana.

The 62-year-old retired financial adviser, said: “I never thought I would win gold. I thought I would be retired by this age.

“When I won, the instructor told his students ‘no more excuses that you are old’.”

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Bill, does this mean there is hope for us old duffers?

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He's not the only one. One of my teachers is a good friend with a Kajukenbo guy who's in his advanced years. He won a tournament sparring against the 'young pups'. From what I heard he sounded both pleased, and surprised that he still had it.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haha, yes!

957-come-at-me-bro.jpg
tumblr_lfykcj3sdO1qa5z1ro1_400.jpg

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I saw my Sensei kick 3 dudes butts on the street. You "know" how awesome he is, but still, till you see it in person it doesn't hit home how good he actually is.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the outward appearance, or the odometer, but the gas in the tank that counts. :)

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My Grandparents still played tennis well into their 70's. They stopped when they ran out of friends who could still play.