Chi-Lin

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Yeah that stinks. Maybe you should look at doing some traveling for some good weekend seminars or something. That would at least get you learning and allow you to work on it at home on your own time.

7sm
That is a great idea!!!! Thanks, I actually never thought of that.

I've been trying to find the closest schools and they seem to be about 4 hours away. I'm going to keep trying to find a school that maybe I could go too but it's looking grim. I'm thinking about starting Aikido at a place that's local but I would still love to train in some form of CMA.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You might want to check out Ohio University at Athens. Sometimes universities and/or their student associations will offer CMA classes. These wouldn't be listed in the yellow pages, and would require some legwork to find. At least it would be closer to you than Columbus or Cincinnati. I also know of a Taiji instructor in Chillicothe (teaches privately, out of his home).
Hope this helps.

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
You might want to check out Ohio University at Athens. Sometimes universities and/or their student associations will offer CMA classes. These wouldn't be listed in the yellow pages, and would require some legwork to find. At least it would be closer to you than Columbus or Cincinnati. I also know of a Taiji instructor in Chillicothe (teaches privately, out of his home).
Hope this helps.
THANKS for the advice!!! That does help. I'll start researching and see what I can find. Chillicothe is about 2 hours from me so that's getting closer.

Firehawk4

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi you could try the Dayton ,Ohio area there is some Kung Fu here there is Sifu Meng who teaches 3 different kinds of Wing Chun they are Chi Sim Weng Chun ,Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun , Yip Man Wing Chun , you can reach him at this website http://home.vtmuseum.org/index.php I live in Dayton but my Father lives in Jackson Ohio which is about 30 to 45 minutes from Charleston West Virgina Dayton is about 2 and a half hours from where my Dad lives it really does not take that long to get to Dayton from Southern Ohio there is also a branch school of Sifu Mengs in Cincinnati . And there is Tien Shan Pai a Dragon style of Kung Fu its a Northern Style here in Dayton .

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
THANKS!!! I will definitley keep this in mind but I have decided to take Aikido at a place locally. I have a M-F 9-5 job so that would make the only day that I could train would be Saturday since it would be almost a 3 1/2 hour trip one way. I was thinking of traveling there to study Toshindo but I need to train more than 1 day a week.

That museum looks amazing. I make take a trip some Saturday just to visit the place. As I do that I will check the mileage and the time and if it looks like I could go there I just might. (Oh yeah, my wife wasn't too hip on the idea of my traveling to Dayton that much. Not training but safety, sooooo)

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a little familiar with Chi-Lin. I stress word little. I can go so far as to say that it really isn't like any Tracy's or Parker's kenpo I have seen. If you can find a good sifu I would recomend it. I can personally vouch for sifu Scott Felson's abillties and he would be the one I would got to given the chance. Also I have seen video of the founder I would say given what I saw he was a man of great ability and knowledge.

kelly

G

GF9676

To RHD:

Before you comment on something you should really know what you are talking about. I have been studying and teaching Chi Lin Kenpo/Chi Ling Pai Gung Fu for the last 10 years, and it's obvious from your comments that you like to make general assumptions based on the book's cover. Chi Lin is a family of martial arts and is not a Tracy or Parker based Kenpo system. And yes, the art is very heavily influenced by the Chinese art of Gung Fu, which you may have heard of. It's this combination of Gung Fu and Kenpo that forms the backbone of this amazing art. Also Chi Lin is a dialect version of Ki-Lin, or Kirin in ancient Chinese mythology. You were right when you said you would tick someone off somewhere. Do you home work next time, or do not make any baseless comments.

Gerard

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Adam C
-MT Moderator-

R

RHD

GF9676 said:
To RHD:

Before you comment on something you should really know what you are talking about. I have been studying and teaching Chi Lin Kenpo/Chi Ling Pai Gung Fu for the last 10 years, and it's obvious from your comments that you like to make general assumptions based on the book's cover. Chi Lin is a family of martial arts and is not a Tracy or Parker based Kenpo system. And yes, the art is very heavily influenced by the Chinese art of Gung Fu, which you may have heard of. It's this combination of Gung Fu and Kenpo that forms the backbone of this amazing art. Also Chi Lin is a dialect version of Ki-Lin, or Kirin in ancient Chinese mythology. You were right when you said you would tick someone off somewhere. Do you home work next time, or do not make any baseless comments.

Gerard

So Chi Lin isn't developed from the Tracy system and the info from the website is falsified? Oh well, the are a lot of fringe systems out there...

Mike

R

RHD

GF9676 said:
To RHD:

Gerard

From Chi Lin web resources...

"No one can speak about the history of Chi Lin without also speaking about Master Dennis R. Decker. "Sifu" was Chi Lin. It was his art and way of fighting that distinguished him from other martial artists. A great amount of knowledge and understanding in the martial arts came from this man.

He was born November 15, 1942 in Somerville, New Jersey. He started martial arts training with his father who learned Judo when he was in the military. While in High School, from 1958-1962 at Bridgewater Raritan High, he continued to study Judo and attained his first black belt rank. Then he studied Kempo at a local Tracy Kempo School.

He joined the military after High School and continued to study the marital arts intensely. When Master Decker practiced the fighting skills he was learning, he would experiment. He would concentrate on what he was doing and he would try many different variations to the movements he was doing. What different ways could he attack, how could he sneak inside and hit with explosive power. Distance, timing, speed, energy, mass in motion. Dose it work better tensed or relaxed? And, at what times would that be different? How can he attack the circulatory system? How can he attack someone's ability to breath? How can he fight a powerful opponent much larger then himself? Et.

He found that the most deceptive methods would usually work. They came from Natural Body Movements.This is how Chi Lin developed."

So what family of Chinese martial arts is this from? Ancient Chinese secret...

Mike

G

GF9676

Notice the difference in the spelling. Kenpo - Kempo... If you would like a lesson in kempo please just ask.... and if you want to know about Decker please just ask.... but do not be disrespectful.

Master Biles

R

RHD

GF9676 said:
Notice the difference in the spelling. Kenpo - Kempo... If you would like a lesson in kempo please just ask.... and if you want to know about Decker please just ask.... but do not be disrespectful.

Master Biles

Master Biles...
I don't want to know about Mr. Decker. Kenpo-Kempo? What is the difference? How does that make this a CMA? How am I being disrespectful? Is it disrespectful to point out the truth? Again I ask, which family of Chinese martial arts does this Chi Lin come from? Have you researched this yourself or are you basing your information off of what you were told without looking into it?

Mike

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
cashwo said:
Is anyone familiar with Chi-Lin Chuan Fa? It's the only form of Kung-Fu offerend where I live and I am curious.

www.chi-lin.org

Hi Folks!
My main experience into Chi Lin was through Long Time nationally rated tournament competitor Terry Creamer [of the Budwiser and Atlantic oil Karate Teams]. I had read about his study in Isshin Ryu Karate and Chi Lin Kung Fu from Karate Illustrated magazine in the 1980's and asked him about it when I would see him at national tournaments in New England. He was shocked and surprised that I knew about Chi Lin in the first place as it is not a well known style of CMA and I watched him compete in soft style division and senior division where he performed a Hung Gar tiger/crane set and a Kwando form that were both traditional chinese as well as one of the chi lin sets that was definitely southern kung fu influenced. I know there was a studio in virginia beach,va that I was going to visit and find out info on the style but did not get a chance to do so. Mr. Creamer still teaches isshin ryu and can probably answer questions regarding Chi lin for you!
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Seig said:
What about Morgantown, Clarksburg, or Bridgeport?
Still sbout 3 for me as I live in Charleston. I've been very luck and have hooked up with some people that are an ATG for Straight Blast Gym and I am having an absolute blast as well as taking Judo and Aikido at a place about 10 minutes away. I was interested in the school in Morgantown but that is still very far for me.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
cashwo said:
Still sbout 3 for me as I live in Charleston. I've been very luck and have hooked up with some people that are an ATG for Straight Blast Gym and I am having an absolute blast as well as taking Judo and Aikido at a place about 10 minutes away. I was interested in the school in Morgantown but that is still very far for me.
I haven't been to Charleston in about 10 years but am in Clarksburg at least once a year.

R

RHD

Seig said:
I believe Kempo is the Japanese translation of the Kanji while Kenpo is Chinese

Well actually...

I believe both are really about the same thing and are usually a term applied to Okinawan based arts. Granted, there is some Chinese base to these arts, they've been karatefied/changed too much to really be in touch with thier CMA roots.

Mike

Latest Discussions