Kung fu Louisville

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Schools/Instructors board, but I'm hoping that I'm posting this in the right place.

I'll be moving to Louisville next year for an internship position and am interested in building my knowledge of kung fu. I'm currently doing Shaolin-Tao in Atlanta, but I don't find that system to fulfill what I'd like to get out of a martial art, and am thus interested in switching arts. I'm open to all forms of CMA available in Louisville, but being a traditionalist and having lived in East Asia extensively, I'd like a sifu who's intentionally tough to weed out the less determined, and one who maintains a curriculum and mindset that hasn't been modified by the move to the West. Essentially, a no-nonsense type who teaches CMA the way it was meant to be taught: for combat (as opposed to for tournament sparring, or for showmanship). Does anyone have any recommendations that they could make?

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Schools/Instructors board, but I'm hoping that I'm posting this in the right place.

I'll be moving to Louisville next year for an internship position and am interested in building my knowledge of kung fu. I'm currently doing Shaolin-Tao in Atlanta, but I don't find that system to fulfill what I'd like to get out of a martial art, and am thus interested in switching arts. I'm open to all forms of CMA available in Louisville, but being a traditionalist and having lived in East Asia extensively, I'd like a sifu who's intentionally tough to weed out the less determined, and one who maintains a curriculum and mindset that hasn't been modified by the move to the West. Essentially, a no-nonsense type who teaches CMA the way it was meant to be taught: for combat (as opposed to for tournament sparring, or for showmanship). Does anyone have any recommendations that they could make?
Well, I know that there are alot of Shaolin-Do schools in that area. I'm not going to say anything about shaolin-do because it is a very touchy subject. You might want to check them out for yourself ,and see what you think of them.

Most ppl that train with them seem to enjoy it ,and speak highly of the system. I don't know if any of them had any prior training to compare it to or not though.

jeff:)

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a Shaolin-do practioner, but from what I understand, it is mainly getting into shape until you reach the black belt level, at which point the secrets start to be revealed. I, however, have also been studying a little Kyusho Jitsu and Ryukyu kenpo on the side and it has helped me to understand the Shaolin-do kata and come up with my own applications a lot better. Shaolin-do has some of the coolest kata I've seen, but that's all just cool, athletic, and showy until you know how to apply them. If you can find a teacher that's not so secretive, then that's a good thing, or continue with what you are practicing and find a teacher on the side that will help interpret the kata you learn. That's just my advice.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jason... go here...

Marshall's Hung Fist Boxing

space.gif
space.gif

5328 Bardstown Rd
Louisville, KY 40291

space.gif

space.gif
space.gif
space.gif

Classes: Kung Fu, Praying Mantis, Tai Chi
space.gif

General Info: No Contracts

His teacher is from a solid lineage that trains hard & fights with the kung fu they learn instead of kickboxig.

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Living in Lousiville myself, I was going to recommend the Hung gar school -- but I think it closed down -- went by where it was a couple of weeks ago, and wasn't there anymore. Also didn't find it in the latest phone book.

We have a couple of Shaolin Kempo schools in town, and at least one Shaolin-Do school, at least one martial Tai Chi school -- not sure what else, though. I'll check it out, get back to you.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw on your first post you're finishing your law degree. Unless you're planning on staying there L'ville, just wait until you get picked up by a firm somewhere & train in that town. You may find greener pastures elsewhere... :wink2:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:

Well, I don't teach Kung Fu, per se. But there is a fair amount of Chinese influence in some of what I do (especially Kun Tao Silat de Thouars which is a blending of Chinese and Indonesian MA). Mostly, though, I teach Filipino and Indonesian martial arts. My classes have more of a "club" feel than a "school" feel. We have fun and we "play" hard pretty regularly. Since it's not so much CMA, it may not interest you. But if you want to check us out, feel free to drop by. You can find all the pertinent info on my website at http://impactacademy.com

Mike

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've met pesilat -- I highly recommend his school.

Hopefully, once law school is done, I'll have the time and money to drop by myself. :)

S

sifu Adams

I train and teach a real simmular shaolin do style and that is a good system. with your background and pryor knolage you will see thing quicker in the system that most beginners. The shoalin do system is a true sytem and you will find it has great forms and if you look close you will see the setup moves to the same tech you have been using. good luck on your new adveture.

Latest Discussions