Chi-Lin

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't heard of it. I looked at the website, but I haven't heard of any of the schools or the sifus. Sorry. Go by and visit them, take a free class and see how it goes.

7sm

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I stopped by one this past weekend and I also took classes for a very short amount of time from another but I had to move out of state for a job and now that I'm back that place is gone. I really enjoyed that place. This other place looks good too. I think I may start on the first of November.

R

RHD

cashwo said:
I stopped by one this past weekend and I also took classes for a very short amount of time from another but I had to move out of state for a job and now that I'm back that place is gone. I really enjoyed that place. This other place looks good too. I think I may start on the first of November.

Well...
Looking at the website, under "resources" there's another web link. It lead to another Chi Lin website that had some historical information...

It's a style that some guy made up in the 1970's from his various kenpo related experiences. I know this will tick off somone, somewhere, but I'm going to come right out and say that this is not what would be considered a Chinese martial art. The name is psuedo Chinese, and though I am not fluent in any dialect of that language, I know enough to say that they name is somewhat non-sensical and is a bastardization of Kay Lin/unicorn.

Pretty much, this looks like a Tracy kenpo based martial art with an exotic "Chinese sounding" name. Whether it's any good or not...I'm not going there.

Mike

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wish there were more options in my town. Someone needs to open up shop in Charleston West Virginia even though it probably wouldn't do any business. I was getting concerned with lineage and stuff but when you break it down where I live it's all questionable and I've seen almost every school and they all teach the basic stances and really teach about the same thing period. Places that I would REALLY like to go are a 3-4 hour drive at least.

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto RHD about Chi-Lin...

As far as the others... what exactly are you looking for in a MA to study?

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
To be honest I thought I knew what I was looking for until I found this message board and started reading posts about what to look for in a school.

After researching most the schools where I live, I've found that almost all so far has created there own style. Even this one place that I took from for a few years and thought was legit. So now I don't know, I'm kinda confused.

My main goal is to get healthy. I just found out I have high blood pressure do to being overweight and I'm sure that my cholesterol is horrible too. So now that I'm set with a good paying job and given my health problems I thought now is the perfect time to start training again. I'm older I know I will get more out of it so I do what something that I know is real and not just made up by someone.

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
RHD said:
Sorry man,
Sometimes it's worth the 3 hour drive.

Mike
Man this sucks. I would only be able to do that on Saturdays since I work 9-5 Monday through Friday. I would like to train at least 2 times a week but 3-4 would be ideal. I guess I'll keep researching. Any suggestions on places close to Charleston, WV would be great appreciated. I'm going to post in the TKD and Karate forums now to expand my horizans. I REALLY want to study a CMA but I can only do what I can do. :idunno:

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
What else is 3 to 4 hours away? What other cities are available inside that range?
Columbus, OH
Cincy, OH

Are both about 3-3.5 hours and that's about it.

OP
cashwo

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Damn... that's a veritable desert for TCMA there....
HAHAHA, exactly. I know that the Aikido at the one place has a real lineage and he is a very good teacher at least for me, so I believe I've just about made up my mind.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah that stinks. Maybe you should look at doing some traveling for some good weekend seminars or something. That would at least get you learning and allow you to work on it at home on your own time.

7sm

Latest Discussions