Chess Issues

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pesilat said:
LOL. In high school, there was a guy on our chess team named Tim. Tim was often not quite right in the head but he was a good chess player most days. One day at practice after school, Tim was having a bad day and he was playing another guy on the team named Jeff. Jeff was a punk and no one on the team really liked him - even the coach wasn't overly fond of him. Jeff beat Tim 2 or 3 games in a row and was being a very sore winner. He kept goading Tim in low whispers. Of course, at a chess practice it may not be as quiet as a chess tourney but it was still reasonably quiet so most of us - especially those sitting close to Tim and Jeff - were aware of what was going on and of the mounting tension over that board. Then there was the loud sound of pieces scattering across the table. We all turned to look - just in time to see Tim bounce Jeff's face off the cafeteria table. As Jeff's head bounced off the table, blood sprayed from his nose - I don't recall if it was broken or not but it was bleeding quite a bit.

The coach (we called him Mr. C) very calmly said, "Jeff, go clean up." After Jeff left, the Mr. C looked at Tim and said, "Take a walk. I don't want you back in here until you've calmed down."

The rest of us were both startled and amused that Tim didn't get in any real trouble.

It was the only time I've personally seen chess become a contact sport :)

Mike
Of course its a contact sport. However, that teacher should have lost his job, if you can't take the comments made by a sore winner you need help, and he should have been reprimanded and dealt with. I'll smack a winner, don't get me wrong, but just to let him know.
Sean

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Of course its a contact sport. However, that teacher should have lost his job, if you can't take the comments made by a sore winner you need help, and he should have been reprimanded and dealt with. I'll smack a winner, don't get me wrong, but just to let him know.
Sean

Personally, I don't think the teacher should have lost his job. He did take both Jeff & Tim off privately and talk to them - though I don't know what was said. the only people who saw any of this were the people on the chess team. None of us were going to say anything. As far as we were concerned, Jeff got what he deserved -and what pretty much all of us had wanted to do to him at one point or another. I'm not saying it was right on the part of either Tim or Mr. C. But Jeff wasn't seriously injured. The most serious casualty of the incident was Jeff's egotism - he was much better behaved in general after that day.

Mike