Chess Issues

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is it that whenever I play someone in chess, I find they have been playing their whole lives without knowing the rules? I try to use en passa'nt and they look at me like I'm a nut job. I explain they cannot castle out of a check; again, I'm the jerk making up rules as I go along. I guess I should just have "that" discussion before the game has started, but that would be to easy.
Sean

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carry a copy of "Chess for Dummies" with you.
Have the rules bookmarked. :D

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know most of the rules for chess, though I don't get to play often. The last time I played I won simply by confusing my friend. He was used to playing people with a strategy in mind. I know some people who have a fit when you take their queen, where as I don't care if you take my queen or other peices... but LEAVE MY KNIGHTS ALONE!

But yes I hate playing with people who don't know all the basic rules, it get very aggervating.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Why is it that whenever I play someone in chess, I find they have been playing their whole lives without knowing the rules? I try to use en passa'nt and they look at me like I'm a nut job. I explain they cannot castle out of a check; again, I'm the jerk making up rules as I go along.
Heh, you're singing my song. I've almost given up on using en passant--at best people think it's archaic.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My kids know those rules ... along with the London opening and various others. They get VERY frustrated when none of their friends play and can't keep track of the rules and say it's a game for geeks, etcetera. I expect a little more from adults. That's a shame.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Heh, you're singing my song. I've almost given up on using en passant--at best people think it's archaic.
If you can't use a pawn in passing then you shouldn't be able to jump two spaces, it wouldn't be fair! Why bring pawns up to the end of the boared? Oh yeah, so I can argue about how many queens I am allowed to have; I forgot.
Sean

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the very first things I learned was the pawn in passing. I had someone teaching me for roughly a year how to play chess and it's fun. At the moment I don't have anyone to play against other than chessmaster 7000. At least it gives competition. Some of the upper level chess characters use the pawn in passing.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
They should know those rules, you're right. They should at least know that you can't castle when in check (can't castle if you have to pass over a square that would be in check either). I think I could forgive them for not knowing the en passant rule. I don't think the situation comes up that much and I don't think everyone takes advantage of it when the situation arises. That one does seem like a lesser known rule.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know what you mean. My uncle who taught me the game was a Class B world champion (Minor E. Powers) and I've only beaten him twice out of hundreds of games. My father who also played placed in a Class C (National) championship. At the time it was being played we followed closely the famous Bobby Fisher match against Boris Spassky of the Soviet Union. We fell in love with that famous four move check mate... or was it three?
I played many people since and only once met a guy who knew what the en passa'nt move was because he pulled it on me and I totally forgotten the move because no-one I played was aware of it.
I occasionally play on line (www.pogo.com) and did the Fisher/Spassky move on a guy and totally pissed him off, challenged me again and I did it again. I'll use it every time if/when I can get away with it. :D Especially against folks that haven't seen it or are too young to remember it.
The MT arcade should have a two person live chess game going on. There's martial arts in it allowing for Tsu's art of war tactics by using your most powerful weapon... your mind.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
i used to be on the chess team for my high school. Well actually it was an ALC. But one year my teacher decided that she wanted to see how we would stand up in the minnesota state tournament and we took 9 th in state. It blew all of the other Regular high schools out of the water that an ALC placed that high out of about 50 otherschools. Our teacher was decent at the game but was a much better teacher. The en passant move was not something you tried to use but if the other player walked into it then you should use it unless it put you in bad position. Castling on the other hand i on of the easiest defensive options that is possible, and the most common way to get a rook in the middle of the board. I haven't had a serious game of chess for about 3 years now, but if anyone would like to play just ask im up for the challenge.

kid

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Why is it that whenever I play someone in chess, I find they have been playing their whole lives without knowing the rules? I try to use en passa'nt and they look at me like I'm a nut job. I explain they cannot castle out of a check; again, I'm the jerk making up rules as I go along. I guess I should just have "that" discussion before the game has started, but that would be to easy.
Sean

I like those rules, and it would be best to discuss them up front.

Now the rule I was recently told about but never heard about before or can find, is the two pawn move. I believe it is a misunderstanding of the en passent, of the passing of a pawn, but, instead od the pawn being able to move two squares they beleived that two pawns could move a square at the same time.

Never heard of this before.

Anyone, even if it is some variation for school kids or something.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not all that good at it, but I do enjoy playing. I have several books on my shelf for when I have time to really learn some standard openings and defenses!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I like those rules, and it would be best to discuss them up front.

Now the rule I was recently told about but never heard about before or can find, is the two pawn move. I believe it is a misunderstanding of the en passent, of the passing of a pawn, but, instead od the pawn being able to move two squares they beleived that two pawns could move a square at the same time.

Never heard of this before.

Anyone, even if it is some variation for school kids or something.
For as long as I've been playing... moving two pawns is not a standard/official rule. en passant is.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Sean

I used to have people *at tournaments* who were unfamiliar with en passant. I always got a kick out of their looks of bewilderment when they'd call a ref over and he'd look at them like they were morons while explaining the rule/move to them. In fact, I had a couple of opponents get so flustered by this taht they'd make a stupid move or two that enabled me to get a superior position and win the game.

I always found that humorous. I never encountered anyone at tournaments who didn't know that you couldn't castle out of check, though.

Mike

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Having a USCF (United States Chess Federation) rulebook handy always helps to convince your bewildered opponent.

Besides in-passing, I've encountered people who don't know the correct rules for castling, some who've never heard of it and at least one who thought the proper ettiquite for resigning was to smack the pieces across the room.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ray said:
Having a USCF (United States Chess Federation) rulebook handy always helps to convince your bewildered opponent.

Besides in-passing, I've encountered people who don't know the correct rules for castling, some who've never heard of it and at least one who thought the proper ettiquite for resigning was to smack the pieces across the room.

LOL. In high school, there was a guy on our chess team named Tim. Tim was often not quite right in the head but he was a good chess player most days. One day at practice after school, Tim was having a bad day and he was playing another guy on the team named Jeff. Jeff was a punk and no one on the team really liked him - even the coach wasn't overly fond of him. Jeff beat Tim 2 or 3 games in a row and was being a very sore winner. He kept goading Tim in low whispers. Of course, at a chess practice it may not be as quiet as a chess tourney but it was still reasonably quiet so most of us - especially those sitting close to Tim and Jeff - were aware of what was going on and of the mounting tension over that board. Then there was the loud sound of pieces scattering across the table. We all turned to look - just in time to see Tim bounce Jeff's face off the cafeteria table. As Jeff's head bounced off the table, blood sprayed from his nose - I don't recall if it was broken or not but it was bleeding quite a bit.

The coach (we called him Mr. C) very calmly said, "Jeff, go clean up." After Jeff left, the Mr. C looked at Tim and said, "Take a walk. I don't want you back in here until you've calmed down."

The rest of us were both startled and amused that Tim didn't get in any real trouble.

It was the only time I've personally seen chess become a contact sport :)

Mike

Latest Discussions