Cardio karate???

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, what on earth is it?!? Is it just another name for Tae Bo, or is it actually a martial art? My previous instructor is planning to do this for his women's only class, because no one would stick with the self defense (for reasons I can see, but I'm not really willing to share). It might be a good move for him. I just wanted to know what is up with that kind of class, what's involved, etc.

Thanks for any and all input.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
Ok, what on earth is it?!? Is it just another name for Tae Bo, or is it actually a martial art? My previous instructor is planning to do this for his women's only class, because no one would stick with the self defense (for reasons I can see, but I'm not really willing to share). It might be a good move for him. I just wanted to know what is up with that kind of class, what's involved, etc.

LOL, Henderson pretty much summed it up, but I'll elaborate a bit more.

Yes, it is along the lines of Tae Bo. Its fine if someone wants a cardio workout, but the majority of the time its billed or gives the impression that SD will actually be taught in the classes. The person teaching, usually does not have a Martial Art background, so the people in the class will most likely be throwing kicks and punches incorrectly against a target. This IMO can lead to some serious injury.

Personally, if someone had to pick which one to offer, I'd rather see people go with a SD class. Then again, depending on what kind of material is being taught, that class can be just as bad.

I hope that this answered some of your questions.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:

While most cardio style MA (not really MA, are they?) programs are no good, IMO, SOME are taught by experienced Karate teachers and use correct technique. I know that one highly respected EPAK teacher in the area teaches a cardio class at times, and I can't imagine him teaching crap and a local kickboxing gym has a cardio class that has decent mechanics taught and practiced. However, neither are fighting arts in the same way that traditional MA or self-defence classes are.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
While most cardio style MA (not really MA, are they?) programs are no good, IMO, SOME are taught by experienced Karate teachers and use correct technique. I know that one highly respected EPAK teacher in the area teaches a cardio class at times, and I can't imagine him teaching crap and a local kickboxing gym has a cardio class that has decent mechanics taught and practiced. However, neither are fighting arts in the same way that traditional MA or self-defence classes are.

That's what I've seen too. The places around here that advertise 'Cardio Karate' or 'Cardio Kickboxing' are people who are running the martial arts school / fitness center combo. They're offering regular lessons, gym memberships, and this abomination that falls somewhere in the middle.

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is along the lines of Tae Bo. Its fine if someone wants a cardio workout thats great,Our school tryed to run some classes and it dident' pan out for him, So our Instructor got rid of it..Far as I can tell it's the latest crazy in Cardio workout classes..

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
The dojo that I previously attended offers cardio karate. It is along the same lines as Tae bo and the other aerobic workouts. Once this was brought into that dojo the transformation to a commercial school was complete.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An instructor I know is being pushed more and more toward cardio workout classes by his clientele...the Kung Fu and FMA classes are stagnant, but Cardio Kickboxing is taking off for him. That's the market segment he reaches...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's one hell of workout ;)

Depending on who is running it and how these classes can completely drain you and leave you sore for a few days, even when you thought you where in good shape :D

Basically it is more like a kickboxing class where you never get hit at and the cardio elements are emphasized. If you watch the Tae Bo stuff you can see him adding twists and squats and things that change the range of motion to make it a little more intensive as a workout, if not practical. You will also see the posture change, if it's fitness orientated you'd keep a straighter back, head up and not shrug your shoulders up to protect your jaw. Better for fitness, not as much for fighting.

But if you got any doubts try a established class, with a group of participants that have been at it a while, you may find yourself gasping for air while they continue punching away ;)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the "cardio" part of it is fitting but the "karate" can be misleading. If taught by a qualified martial arts instructor, that's fine. Otherwise, it's just a good workout.

Our school has classes for it. The attendance is good and people enjoy it.

It has also brought some ppl who originally came only to the cardio classes into our regular martial arts sessions. Anything that develops interest in the martial arts and leads ppl in the right direction is good.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From a business point of view, it's a great add-on for a martial arts instructor. You can fit it in to just about any art with some imagination and get the fitness/weight loss segment that doesn't want to get hit. As long as it isn't marketed as self-defense but rather as merely having some self-defense benefits, I have no problem with it.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. As I said before, he originally had a "self defense" class, but it wasn't popular at all, and he really didn't do much when it came to teaching SD. It became a women's only TKD class, just labelled women's SD.

There's another guy that teaches cardio kickboxing closer to where I live who was a MAist (maybe he still is- don't know). I think they're a great workout- I loved doing it; however, it was labled as a workout class, nothing more.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
however, it was labled as a workout class, nothing more.

And that makes it very honest and appropriate. I participated in the cardio-karate classes at our school solely to increase my fitness level (which it did!). I reserved my MA training for the MA class.

We started using the name because of popular convention. However, we always spend time before enrolling a potential student explaining what the class would and would not offer.

No one should have a black belt in Cardio-Karate-Do.

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, my exwife joined one of them and got kicked out. It was a pretty good story. She used to teach with me a few years back (when we were still together) and she joined up with this group last year some time. Her technique was scarring the people there that were just trying to get into the swing of things. She had gained weight rapidly since our child being born (a while ago) and along with our divorce, she couldn't shake it. She took to the "form" right away with the kicking and punching without issue. I thought that was cool. Her form was so good that she was looking better than the instructor. I think it was a bit of envy, who knows. Either way, she wasn't asked to come back. I just told her that it was a good pointer that she has what it takes to drop what she needs to and she didn't need a watered "style" to achieve what she needed.

And yes... It it one helluva workout.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What was the "official" reason she was given?

Seems odd to kick someone out for being good....

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, Dalum, did your ex-wife move on to something else to achieve her weight loss goal or how did that work out for her?

My wife is getting ready (mentally that is) to join a gym here for weight loss purposes. I'm joining with her for motivation and to get what exercise I can considering my physical condition.

The gym has a kickboxing class listed once a week. I don't know anything about this class but I'm going to check it out.

I'll be interested to see how qualified the instructor really is. My guess is that it's a cardio class involving some hand mitts and a heavy bag.

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
She was "asked" not to return. That's all she told me. As she is my ex-wife we don't do too much of the niceties too often.

Honestly, I think that if it was about her have great form and looking like an intimidating bear then I think it's sad that someone would pull that kind of crap just because it makes the instructor look bad.

I hold Cardio Karate/Tae Bo/any other "style" just like real Martial Arts... Check it out and be sure it's legit enough to work out to. If it's some unseasoned, overweight, obviously non-cardio workout guy looking to make a buck then I'd say skip it. If you've got some annoying Billy Blanks look alike that can go till the break of dawn doing cardio, then stick with em. They may (or may not) be a great Martial Artist by any means but they are filling the gap of what you are looking for. Let us know what you find!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another name for kickboxing, workout style. Although all of these classes are not the same so its wise not to lump all together as either good or bad. Some are aerobic teachers variations aka whatever tape they can incorporate, or some are martial art oriented taught by black belts. What all of them really do, is give a good workout. If it gets couch potatoes off their derrieres and gets them in the dojang door, what's hurt in that? Alot of these students become empowered and interested in the real program that way. TW

Latest Discussions