Cardio karate???

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Just another name for kickboxing, workout style. Although all of these classes are not the same so its wise not to lump all together as either good or bad. Some are aerobic teachers variations aka whatever tape they can incorporate, or some are martial art oriented taught by black belts. What all of them really do, is give a good workout. If it gets couch potatoes off their derrieres and gets them in the dojang door, what's hurt in that? Alot of these students become empowered and interested in the real program that way. TW

The only problem is when your get the ones "empowered" and use Tae Bo or some other Cadio-whatsis as something to list as experience in their MA Resume. I've heard of girls saying that they can take someone because of Billy Blanks. Not the kind of thing to be touting. It just reminds me of Tommy Nitro's Balck Belt Kit. LOL!

In seriousness though, this is a nice tool to get your butt whooped in the cardio area. I may laugh at it when compared to letgitimate styles but it still has it's own legitimacies.

S

SportKarate

I actually started a similar thread here.

http://www.martialweb.com/forums/Topic6-18-1.aspx

I just really started cardio kickboxing last month and I'm loving it. It's very different from a regular martial arts class but for those of you have not tried it, I'd highly recommend it...with a good intructor of course.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I certainly do not dispute the fact that you'll get a good workout. I just feel that if this program is offered at a school that also teaches a regular MA class, the difference between the two should be made very clear.

Mike

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Just another name for kickboxing, workout style. Although all of these classes are not the same so its wise not to lump all together as either good or bad. Some are aerobic teachers variations aka whatever tape they can incorporate, or some are martial art oriented taught by black belts. What all of them really do, is give a good workout. If it gets couch potatoes off their derrieres and gets them in the dojang door, what's hurt in that? Alot of these students become empowered and interested in the real program that way. TW

Very true. I personally found that Kathy Smith's Kickboxing (techniques demonstrated by a real martial artist, Keith Cook) has some sound technique with good combinations. Keith Cook keeps his elbows in, guard up and has proper form (many of the other people on the tape don't, but that's ok with me because I watch Cook). This workout is decent, even for experienced martial artists.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I certainly do not dispute the fact that you'll get a good workout. I just feel that if this program is offered at a school that also teaches a regular MA class, the difference between the two should be made very clear.

Mike

Actually, in two schools I visited during the Tae Bo craze, the instructors DID make the difference clear and in my favourite, Kathy Smith's Kickboxing Workout DVD, the martial arts demonstrator says bluntly at the beginning that this is not a self-defence program. However, unlike Tae Bo, which sometimes, IMO, implies that it does teach some self-defence, the Smith workout actually has some combinations that would be useful in self-defence.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Actually, in two schools I visited during the Tae Bo craze, the instructors DID make the difference clear and in my favourite, Kathy Smith's Kickboxing Workout DVD, the martial arts demonstrator says bluntly at the beginning that this is not a self-defence program.

I'm glad to hear that. False advertising is always a concern here.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'm glad to hear that. False advertising is always a concern here.

Yes, and unfortunately in the non-martial art's studio run program I visited (shopping for a friend), the instructor, who would not have qualified as a yellow belt at any decent school, said that the class she taught at the gym was a great way to get in shape and learn self-defence at the same time. :idunno:

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A place for everything and everything in it's place. If you want to learn self-defense, make sure thats what is being taught. If you want a cardio workout, thats great also, but, if you are afraid of being hit in the controlled environment of the dojo, you are gonna freak when it happens for real on the street.

Pax
Cujo

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
However, unlike Tae Bo, which sometimes, IMO, implies that it does teach some self-defence, the Smith workout actually has some combinations that would be useful in self-defence.

It doesn't help matters when Century was selling Tae Bo black belts as an essential part of the Tae Bo product line. :(

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
To all of those that are waiving the BS sign; you may only be speaking of a class or two in your area or just speaking without knowing. Yes there are places out there that are touting it as SD. Yes there are people just trying to teach it because they are an MA instructor, but are just jumping up and down. Cardio Kickboxing became a trademark name by a friend of mine. He co-created it with a partner who had it registered. Marcus has a very extensive military and martial arts background. He is now back in Hawaii with Homeland Security. He has always applauded scools that call themselves Tae Bo or Cardio Karate if they are not affiliated with him. He has been a kickboxer and does explain to people the difference between the CK class and SD, most people that say they are running a CK class know nothing about kick-boxing. His website is not the greatest but it is very informative.

http://www.cardiokickboxing.com/index.htm

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
RichK said:
To all of those that are waiving the BS sign; you may only be speaking of a class or two in your area or just speaking without knowing. Yes there are places out there that are touting it as SD. Yes there are people just trying to teach it because they are an MA instructor, but are just jumping up and down. Cardio Kickboxing became a trademark name by a friend of mine. He co-created it with a partner who had it registered. Marcus has a very extensive military and martial arts background. He is now back in Hawaii with Homeland Security. He has always applauded scools that call themselves Tae Bo or Cardio Karate if they are not affiliated with him. He has been a kickboxer and does explain to people the difference between the CK class and SD, most people that say they are running a CK class know nothing about kick-boxing. His website is not the greatest but it is very informative.

Very informative read! The Fake Schools "rant" sounds like there was a straw and a camel involved.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
RichK said:

Could you explain the difference between the way your friend conducts his classes, compared to what we typically see that is billed as Cardio Kickboxing, Cardio Karate or Tae Bo?

Mike

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS, thanks, I meant to do that but had to get out of the house and the kids kept asking me other questions. My wife had joined Curves and was working out there until she came in one night while I was teaching and ended up working over with someone and she watched Marcus' class. The following week she jumped in and told me it was much more intense than what she was previously doing. She stopped after he left in Nov. He does and teaches just about the same thing as Billy Blanks, but because he was a kickboxer he goes into those routines but with a very high speed pace. Classes were 3 times a week and he varied them. Two nights were cardio and one night was strength and bagwork. He used the big rubber bands for strength work. Billy Blanks called his stuff TaeBo instead of kickboxing since he was not a kickboxer. Another acquaintance of mine that has an Aikido school started up a Cardio Karate class back in 97. Mostly they are all the same as long as the class is geared cardio wise and kept at a fast pace. Even teaching something new added in there is taught up to speed. I knew when Billy Blanks came out with TaeBo there were "certified instructors" that were not certified popping up all over the place. Heck I even take my Suburi<SP> training (meditating sword cutting) and speed it up to give me an aerobic/anaerobic workout. Strength part from weilding a boken and cardio from speeding it up.

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, RichK. More informative about it than some of the other websites I came across.

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
You are welcome. Email Marcus if you have any questions about what to look for at a particular school and I am sure he will give you his insight. Might take him awhile as from what I understand he is working long hours.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Very true. I personally found that Kathy Smith's Kickboxing (techniques demonstrated by a real martial artist, Keith Cook) has some sound technique with good combinations. Keith Cook keeps his elbows in, guard up and has proper form (many of the other people on the tape don't, but that's ok with me because I watch Cook). This workout is decent, even for experienced martial artists.

Of about ten tapes or so I looked at, that was my favorite too. Only thing was that they didn't use bags at all. I tried that workout in a class for awhile as an alternate to the bag workout, but interest dwindled on it. Actually if technique is done correctly and at the right tempo, its a pretty good cardiovascular workout.

I went back to the bag workout of which some of the exercises should I say, like low sidekicks (for the knee), or headbutt-knee-backkick, are practice for self-defense. The last fifteen minutes of my class, I go over self defense technique. Or it can be sparring combinations on the bag and later goes into sparring. This is a community ed class. So, they know they aren't earning a belt, but (1) they do know it takes work to get into condition to be able to defend themselves or spar and (2) they know it takes practice to be able to defend yourself or spar. Quite a few have gone on and joined the regular program because I only teach them basic self-defense and tell them they have to join to be able to learn the rest. TW