Is self-teaching practical?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
This summer I got loads of plans involving martial arts, namely train like crazy and try to organize the curriculum for next year's classes. As almost no formal training takes place during the summer, I thought of getting together with a friend and teach ourselves use of a bo and nunchaku based on written material from the web and possibly books. We don't plan on becoming experts, we just want to get a feel for it and have some fun along the way. Learning under an instructor isn't an option.

1) Is this the way to go?
2) Can anyone recommend books or sites on nunchaku? (I already saw the links to quarterstaff sites here)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're just having fun and fooling around, go for it!

If you're serious about learning something...it might be better to train what you already know.

I like Fumio Demura's books on Okinawan weapons.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Self-teaching depends on what you're teaching yourself and your intentions with it. I know there has been some heated debate on the topic recently. But, honestly, I think you'll be fine from the way it sounds....you're realistic about your goals and training and that makes the real difference. Have fun...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Not everyone is the same. Go for it and learn what you can with what you can get a hold of. Everytime you can teach yourself something new, you got one step closer going in the right direction. Proper teaching from masters/coaches will always be the best way, but is not the only way.

There are thousands and thousands of stories of self-taught people who are sucessful today ( not only in martial arts). Self discipline is a tool all sucessful people use for self-improvement......go for it......Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loki said:
This summer I got loads of plans involving martial arts, namely train like crazy and try to organize the curriculum for next year's classes. As almost no formal training takes place during the summer, I thought of getting together with a friend and teach ourselves use of a bo and nunchaku based on written material from the web and possibly books. We don't plan on becoming experts, we just want to get a feel for it and have some fun along the way. Learning under an instructor isn't an option.

1) Is this the way to go?
2) Can anyone recommend books or sites on nunchaku? (I already saw the links to quarterstaff sites here)

Can something be learned from a video/dvd/book??? Yes, but nothing can replace actually training with someone who can show you the fine points that may go missed due to the self teaching method. IMO, the quality is not going to be there. They are great referrence tools, but to strictly learn from a book, especially if its something that is not familiar to the person, its going to be hard.

Mike