Cardio - examples please

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about joining Krav Maga. I tend to get dizzy when upside down, like flipping and sommersalts. Also, I fail miserably at doing proper pushups. I'm 6'7" 230lb. I used to be very skinny at 180lb for my height and over the past year or two, I've been weight lifting 3 - 5 days/week and gained mass to 230lb so I'm still trying to get used to my new size.

Can someone give me a rundown on what the average cardio is for a daily Krav Maga lesson? On average, how many pushups at a time are you expected to handle?

Thanks!

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about joining Krav Maga. I tend to get dizzy when upside down, like flipping and sommersalts. Also, I fail miserably at doing proper pushups. I'm 6'7" 230lb. I used to be very skinny at 180lb for my height and over the past year or two, I've been weight lifting 3 - 5 days/week and gained mass to 230lb so I'm still trying to get used to my new size.

Can someone give me a rundown on what the average cardio is for a daily Krav Maga lesson? On average, how many pushups at a time are you expected to handle?

Thanks!

There aren't generally flips and sommersaults in Krav, so no worries there - unless you get thrown - but depending on the Krav Federation you won't see this sort of stuff until higher levels.

Cardio wise, fighting is a mixture of aerobic and anaerobic fitness. You need quick, explosive speed, but if your adversary has help from buddies, you need endurance to try and survive an encounter. The drills will help you develop the quick, explosiveness. Running a couple times of week will help with the endurance.

Push-up wise, you've been lifting weights and can't do 'em? That boggles my mind - especially considering the amount of muscle you say you've put on. But to answer your question, it'll all depend on how diabolical your instructor wants to be. This isn't snarky, just expect to do a lot of them.

HTH,
Kelly

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Why does it boggle your mind though? A guy who has gained ~50lbs in a year or two who is not used to his new weight can't do pushups? I'm not overweight but not a 5% bf athlete either. I'm 14% bf. I'll get going on the running and try to up my endurance and do as many pushups as I can every day. Hopefully that'll improve with the cardio side of things.

Natty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

If you have a real good instructor they will help you to go at your pace. I do Krav Maga and Tae Kwon Do and when I first started, my pushups were horrible. My instructor will have us do how many we can in 30 seconds in cardio class and then we move onto another exercise. We do about 4 sets of pushup exercises. Don't rush, make sure you do them right. In time, you will gain good upper body strength. You can do it.

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent reply, Natty!

I'm going to try Krav Maga in the new year.

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another helpful suggestion. I'm able to do 10 good pushups at a time now, then I do more from my knees until failure.

I'm doing pushups M - W - F. On Monday, I do as many as I can until failure, then on W and F I do 1 set of 50% (5 pushups), then 75% on the 2nd set (7 pushups) then try to do 100% (10 pushups). If I can do the full 10, then on Monday I test myself again. It's working well. ;-)

Latest Discussions