Starting Krav Maga...

LUCKY_13

White Belt
Reaction score
So I've done 4 years of boxing and 1 year of TKD.

However, KM has really appealed to me. It's the art that I want to pursue for good.

I start classes soon, the instructor being an ex-israeli special forces.

What are some common things to expect in classes?
Anyone advice, comments, etc appreciated.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Expect it to be informal compared to other traditional arts. In my classes there is a quick bowing in before and after class, but that is the only nod to tradition. We call our instructors by the first name, wear street clothes to work out, and end up learning techniques borrowed from a lot of other styles -- boxing, judo, kenpo, etc.

My classes have also proven to be hard workouts. In the 5 months I have been practicing KM, I definitely improved my endurance and muscle tone. (I never had biceps before, even in Kenpo). We start with 15-20 minutes of warmup exercises, pushups, squats, crunches, etc. and then progress to basics like punching and kicking. The second half of classes focus on specific self defense techniques.

Level One has very little ground fighting, but it increases in Level Two, as does weapons self defense training. All levels are trained extensively on pads and bags.

Bring lots of water and a good towel. Wear quality athletic shoes for cross training. Have fun!

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The instructor being Israeli, expect him to be tough, competent, informal and direct.

kior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Be sure to check he's actually who he says he is and that he's not teaching Commando krav maga as this is not km.

Assuming all is in order expect to enjoy yourself immensley, get fit and become more coordinated and aware of yourself and your surroundings also!

OP
L

LUCKY_13

White Belt
Reaction score
So it's been about 3 months since I started this topic. I haven't been back on this site in ages.

I am currently in my final stages of Level 2 in Krav Maga.

As said, the instructor(s) are formal members of the IDF. In personal opinion they are really good guys with great attitudes but training wise, they are direct and full on.
I have not regretted a day of this. I love it and want to do it forever. Lol.

Next year I start gradings, as one would call it.

Kior, I have heard much from my instructor about Commando Krav Maga and how it isn't really Krav Maga. Apparently you can become an instructor after 3 days in CKM. Sounds like a marketing thing to me.

My instructors are under the IKMF and were taught under such figures as Eyal Yanilov and Gabi Noah.

A+++

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I could have posted myself as a yellow belt, no big deal I know, but since I got it in Krav Maga and really only practice some of the elbow blows and one front kick to the testicles anymore and really got a lot more out of American Combato even though I never tested for a belt in that system and practice what I was taught in Combato regularly and consider it to be a better system, I put myself down as a white belt, the belt I have in Combato.

Well, I'm glad your having a good experience with Krav. I will say it is relatively easy to learn, and I think some of it works. I had a problem with my instructor, who literally kicked me in the butt for telegraphing a move in a drill. I don't believe an instructor should ever humiliate a student, especially over something like that. This has been agreed to by every martial arts teacher I've talked with and I have been told I should have sued him. But one immature instructor doesn't mean the whole system is bad by any means, I prefer American Combato, unfortunately it is taught in only two areas of the country and I don't live anywhere near those places anymore.

The yellow belt I received really means very little to be honest. After eight weeks everyone was tested and everyone passed. If you got it 70% right you passed. It was a joke, didn't mean anything really.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you picked the right art for you. Did you find it to be what you really expected?

David

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like American Combato, it works.

Tell us how it works? How do you know it works is what I am asking here, I've read up on it alittle, I've seen very little difference in it from Krav Maga or Reality Base Personal Protection Courses.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience with Combato and what distinguishes it from other reality based arts.

David

Latest Discussions