Capoeira works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting combo. I'd like to see it in real time and in a real fight.

Thanks for sharing.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having studied both Capoeira (stylized, highly intricate art) and Kenpo (no-frills art focused on effectiveness) I can say Capoiera works well as a "sucker punch." Haven't used it in the street, but I've scored some tournament points because people don't expect other people to move that way.

The physical conditioning is also important. Kind of like MMA. MMA is a sport and has little place in a street fight, but you can't tell me the strength and endurance you get from your cage fight workouts is gonna hurt you in a fight.

Finally, that sort of capoeira is only half of the truth. Traditional capoeira was some brutal back-street, shiv in your back craziness.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would like to see some of the traditional and practical stuff being used in real time. A school I used to teach at also taught capoeira and I went to a few of the classes just to see what it was like. It was a great workout, I was sore all over. You are definately moving in a way that is not your everyday way of moving.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score

:) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Having studied both Capoeira (stylized, highly intricate art) and Kenpo (no-frills art focused on effectiveness) I can say Capoiera works well as a "sucker punch." Haven't used it in the street, but I've scored some tournament points because people don't expect other people to move that way.

The physical conditioning is also important. Kind of like MMA. MMA is a sport and has little place in a street fight, but you can't tell me the strength and endurance you get from your cage fight workouts is gonna hurt you in a fight.

Finally, that sort of capoeira is only half of the truth. Traditional capoeira was some brutal back-street, shiv in your back craziness.

There are two extra brutal forms of capoeira,complete with weapons,sneak attacks,ruthless street malicia attacks and slick hypersmart cunning misdirection trickster type stuff.The first and the root of all real deal capoeira fighting is called Capoeira Angola,which is at least 800 years old and wasn't called Capoeira Angola in Africa where the disparate fighting methods that would join and combine in Brazil to become what we call capoeira come from.The second is a hybrid that has its roots in Brazil but is developing apace here in the USA,and my Gym is (to my knowledge) one of only 2 places on the West Coast that practices it.The first place is older than us by like 2 decades,and is more heavily traditionally Capoeira Angola than we are.Our brand of capoeira uses weapons of all sorts including guns (which the Maltas used in Rio and other places 2 centuries or so ago) and fuses all of our martial arts with capoeira and vice versa.Bullshido is RIGHT in that the more acrobatic techniques of capoeira are oftentimes sucker punches and shock attacks with absolutely DEVASTATING consequences.Literally ad not uncommonly fatal consequence.But what alot of people don't know is this: most movements in martial arts period either have very distinct parallels in capoeira or are not wholly alien to it...whereas there are many movements in capoeira which exist nowhere but in capoeira.Capoeira imho is THE KING OF MOVEMENT,and almost all techniques are movement.Sooo..head butts throws chokes locks sweeps trips? Got em. Tackles,takedowns? Yep. Even Tiger Claws,Snake Strikes,Monkey Paws,etc? Yep.Clinch work? You betcha. Greco-Roman like throws slams and stuff? All day,baby. Jabs? Most definitely. Uppercuts? Yep,closed fist,open palm,and stuff in-between. You know the weapon systems look like a blend of Zulu stickfighting,kali...and firearms.Lol,yep they shootin now.BEEN shootin for 200 years plus.Easy.

Evey martial art has lots to offer.Keep taking down and slamming on his head that taichi scholar? He'll adapt his tai chi accordingly...and STILL stab you with that sword.Capoeira is deeply steeped in adaptability and has changed massively and according to the challenges that it's presented.Just like every other martial art has done.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
as I understand it, capoeira was systematized to allow the slaves to fight in Brazil with out getting hanged right after. It was made to look a bit like a dance, and not use the hands much. it lacks a lot of economy of motion because if it was obviously a fight, they would hang both combatants..( as in by the neck till dead. )

I personally would say that it is not the best choice for a self defense style. If you are athletic enough and skilled enough, yes it can and has been used in a street fight, but I think there are a lot of arts that are a lot more practical in a self defense situation...

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

That clip always gets posted when Capoeira is talked about. LOL
I'm sure you know, but for those that don't it was a scene from a movie called "Never Back Down".

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
as I understand it, capoeira was systematized to allow the slaves to fight in Brazil with out getting hanged right after. It was made to look a bit like a dance, and not use the hands much. it lacks a lot of economy of motion because if it was obviously a fight, they would hang both combatants..( as in by the neck till dead. )

I personally would say that it is not the best choice for a self defense style. If you are athletic enough and skilled enough, yes it can and has been used in a street fight, but I think there are a lot of arts that are a lot more practical in a self defense situation...

This is a very common misperception of capoeira.Allow me to offer the following,drawn from the works of numerous scholars including the eminent scholar and one of the original capoeira red belts Nestor Capoeira:

The ginga--the swinging dance-like movement that most distinguishing movement of capoeira--didn't come into capoeira until the 1800s,nearly 4 centuries after Europeans encountered capoeira. Capoeira itself is a synthesis of African martial styles that came together and developed in Brazil,including a martial art from Angola very similar to Brazilian capoeira.Capoeira was very powerful,with comprehensive hand and foot blows,head butts,knees,elbows,sweeps,takedowns,slams,throws,locks,weapons,and a brutal system of tearing biting and gouging similar to kino mutai.Hunting,evasion,tracking,extreme cunning trickery and guile,great great speed agility and endurance,poisons,and more (like Candomble) were essential to capoeira.Capoeiristas were guerilla warfare wizards of ability so extreme that they--despite being outnumbered and outgunned 35 to 1 by hunters and slavers with guns knives dogs horses whips ships and more? They defied slavers from their quilombo city strongholds for a century,and even when dispersed they reformed and played major roles in Brazil's history from war (like that with Paraguay) to politics of every stripe through the Maltas (gangs) of the major cities to economics (capoeira became a major draw in tourism to Brazil over the last 2-1/2 centuries). There is muuuuch about capoeira that isn't known.

Including the fact that capoeira is viable for anyone at any age,and is EXTREMELY street lethal.Most people think of capoeira moderna/internacionale--that Eddie Gordo stuff--when they think of capoeira.But what I teach is a modern version of capoeira luta danse o muerto...Capoeira's fighting dance of death...and it's incredible.As I stated previously: In 3 decades of training martial arts,I have never seen a movement wholly alien to capoeira,but there are MANY movements specific ONLY to capoeira (which I only started barely more than a year ago).Capoeira is effective if you KNOW what you're about and you TRAIN dilligently.Like one of the main sayings in my GYM goes:"IT'S NOT JUST WHAT YOU KNOW,IT'S HOW YOU TRAIN."

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've talked a bit about capoeira here in the forums in the past, and in this thread are my most recent comments: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93956&highlight=CAPOEIRA&page=7

page 7, my post #91 is where I go into some detail tho there was a bit of lead-up to it earlier in the thread.

This may help give some accurate information on the method and what it really is.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've talked a bit about capoeira here in the forums in the past, and in this thread are my most recent comments: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93956&highlight=CAPOEIRA&page=7

page 7, my post #91 is where I go into some detail tho there was a bit of lead-up to it earlier in the thread.

This may help give some accurate information on the method and what it really is.

This link and your post are beautifully put,man! Well said and well done!!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best Capoeira EVER was the "Sexy Dance Fighting" episode of Bob's Burgers. LOL.

But seriously, I checked out a bunch of your ATACX GYM Videos... good stuff!

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Best Capoeira EVER was the "Sexy Dance Fighting" episode of Bob's Burgers. LOL.

But seriously, I checked out a bunch of your ATACX GYM Videos... good stuff!

Thank you so ver ymuch for the encouragement and compliment! Hope you subscribe to my youtube channel if you have a YT of your own,because we need as much help and support as we can get.Lol.I remember the Capoeira Girl commercial for Coca-Cola...

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice work!

thank you so much! Please subscribe to us if you have the chance,as my fledgeling Channel needs as much support as we can get! Lol,thanks either way!

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone seen real time,real street capoeira (favela luta style)? I have.Those dudes can FIGHT.For REAL. And they laugh at many "ring fighters" because those guys won't last a second on the street. Btw many of those guys are armed and will knife or shoot you without a first much less second thought.The head butt is used with seriously unusual skill and in combination...which I'd never seen before.Head butt combos? Clinches look like a fusion of Muay Thai clinch work and Greco-Roman stuff...modified for the street.Plus they have those unorthodox trips that you see hardcore karateka like shotokan,isshin ryu,kenpo etc. use.They do that "step behind you hip dump" as one of my younger students called it.In capoeira it's seen in a number of moves,but the vingativa is the one most commonly used from the ginga to the horse stance to dump a guy,either laterally or face to face. Go to the 20-28 second mark here.The scissor leg takedown has been used to DEVASTATING effect on the street.I used it three times on the street--playing around--but when I dropped my friends the surprise and power of the technique was such that I had to pull its execution every time.It can seriously end the fight with one move.Cung Le isn't the only one who can pull off surprising sweep kicks and flying scissor leg takedowns,lol.In fact capoeiristas had been terrifying slavers for centuries prior to Cung Le's birth...according to the slavers themselves.So here's some vingativas rasteiras and stuff.

http://youtu.be/slGvi4tUKZ4

It's actually in Kenpo parlance a cat stance switch to a horse stance combined with upper body drops.Go to 1:37 of this Casa de Kenpo video:

http://youtu.be/0VUwVLOk-QI

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't buy it. Even Capoeira practiconers don't use Capoeria when they "fight".

[yt]fZ09LIqI7bo[/yt]

Impressive gymnasts, beautiful dance, don't buy the "Fighting Art" hype.

I'll take a wrestler/boxer combination over most "Arts" any-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions