Capoeira movie question

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the Capoeira section, but since there doesn't seem to be one, I'll post it here.

In the 1996 film, 'The Quest' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117420/ starring Jean Claud VanDamme and Roger Moore, there was a very athletic cool looking Brazillian guy in the big tournament. Was the character supposed to be a Capoeirista, and if so, was he played by a Capoeiristra of any note?

If he was Capoeira, that would mark the first time that I had any exposure to the art.

Daniel

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I cannot remember his name (I used to know who all the capoeira teachers in the US are, but haven't paid much attention in the last ten years or so and I'm forgetting names and there are new names I've not encountered). I believe he was teaching in the Miami area.

I think he is a good capoeirista and they made an attempt to showcase the method in the movie. Of course being a movie they made sure to include some acrobatics in the mix as well. As I stated in the other thread, I do not believe that is a realistic rendition of the true fighting aspect of capoeira, but it's a movie so they needed to make it look pretty. Since he had to lose to somebody, I was appreciative of the fact that they had him lose to the Monkey stylist, if memory serves.

I believe he may have also had a hand in the movie Only The Strong, with Mark Dacascos. Pretty poor movie, but I believe this same guy worked on it and played a part as one of the Brazilians, along with Amen Santos who teaches in Los Angeles.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since he had to lose to somebody, I was appreciative of the fact that they had him lose to the Monkey stylist, if memory serves.
I think so. He didn't make it to the mongolian guy. If I recall, the monkey stylist got him with a groin shot while he was in the air.

As for movie fighting, I'm with you 100%. Visually impressive for the audience. Still, it was a fun movie and I liked the Brazillians. They seemed to be the only ones who were actually happy to be there.

Daniel

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was going to post this in the Capoeira section, but since there doesn't seem to be one, I'll post it here.

In the 1996 film, 'The Quest' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117420/ starring Jean Claud VanDamme and Roger Moore, there was a very athletic cool looking Brazillian guy in the big tournament. Was the character supposed to be a Capoeirista, and if so, was he played by a Capoeiristra of any note?

If he was Capoeira, that would mark the first time that I had any exposure to the art.

Daniel

The capoeirista in question should be Cesar Caneiro...although it was my understanding that AMEN SANTOS was originally considered for the role.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks Atacx!

Cesar Carniero in the google came right up with a clip from the movie:

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions