Kirk

That's very interesting. I ended up spending a lot of time at the
canemaster's site, after reading your review. You told me earlier
that you studied cane defense stuff in your home town. Can you
tell me more about that? I really like the idea of a "legal weapon"
such as this.

M

Master of Blades

Ditto, very interesting.........It's funny, cuz I was thinking about a practical weapon and the Cane never even came into my head. That is still a very interesting article.

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In June of this year I injured my ankle very badly while training with my teacher Dave. We were sparring on a plain of relatively unbroken rock above a water fall in Upstate New York (Salmon River Falls, if it matters) when I backed up too far and stepped in a hole -- well, a fissure, really -- and slammed my ankle against the rocks. It swelled up, hurt like mad, and turned all the colors of the rainbow, but was not broken.

The next day, while recovering and contemplating the simple walnut cane I purchased at the drug store, I called him up and asked him if we could work on cane technique. His background in the cane comes to him by way of Hapkido, if I remember correctly, though we only covered the basics in the time I was recovering.

When I showed him the Cane Masters cane shortly after receiving it several weeks back, he started going through a cane form with it -- an impressive display, really -- and found that the grip sections of the cane were perfectly positioned for him (though the cane itself is a little too long -- he is significantly shorter than me and the cane is just about right for my size at six feet tall).

The review I posted includes a link at the end to Don Rearic's article on the cane for beginners. Essentially, the cane can be used for striking like a fighting stick, but the crook end gives you the option to hook, trap, and do takedown maneuvers with the leverage it affords. The Triple Grip is superb for that purpose because no matter how you hold the cane -- by the body, by the handle area below the crook, or choked up or down from one end or the other -- the grip scallops are where they need to be.

I'm trying to contact the Cane Masters people to see if they'd be willing to submit some or all of thier instructional videos for review. To date I've not had the benefit of any such material and would really love to absorb some.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
I'm trying to contact the Cane Masters people to see if they'd
be willing to submit some or all of thier instructional videos for review. To date I've not had the benefit of any such material and would really love to absorb some.

If they do, let us know. It's very intriguing!

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will. I have a number of possible articles and evaluations in the works and hope to hear back from several different folks in the industry about a variety of products and tapes.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A brief article in the 5 April 2002 Indianapolis Star mentions that a "homeowner fended off an intruder by wielding a sword hidden in a cane"; apparfently the homeowner swung the sword and the intruder left.

If you've got a sword you may not need martial arts skill to go with it! With a regular cane you should probably be able to back it up however.

Latest Discussions