Can you theoretical people stop talking about jabs in fight videos as if you actually have brains?

RTMairose

White Belt
Reaction score
Crabby Jab lol.

I think he's talking about the Japanese Crab technique lol. I'm pretty sure this film didn't care much for Japan . I gotta try this at least once. I gotta see how long someone would be too shocked to fight. lol
“Hey, Crabcakes, see if you can match my Drawn Butter Style!”

Sag1200

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm here to learn, not make friends or cater to yet ANOTHER system that most certainly picks favorites anyway.

Your explanation does make sense though.
You must be a real joy to instruct. Your whole approach is rude, your lack of respect appalling. You want to learn, start by learning some respect.

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.. the fact that I have extreme anxiety and I've trained for under a year total (the 2.5 minutes crap has to stop btw, you make it seem like I only took one class) means I can't tell it how it is?
It means you don’t KNOW how it is. Stop the commentary, check the attitude you project, and dedicate yourself to the training method of the gym you join. There are reasons for the way things are done, and those reasons will reveal themselves with time, training and experience.

I have generalized anxiety disorder. I get it. I’m also not a very aggressive fighter in the ring, but the instructors who sponsored me for my black belt fear me if I’m ever really attacked.

The answer that martial arts offers you doesn’t work the way you think it does. The way you present yourself is that you just want to hit people. One mark of a good martial artist is, they understand fighting as a last resort. Again I say, more time in one place.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes people are talking about the jab as a type of straight lead punch. Some are talking about the execution of that lead punch. I wouldn’t necessarily separate the lead punch from its use and effectiveness in boxing, but I strive to understand the lead punch as a non-telegraphic hit in self-defense. You might enjoy learning its history, development, practice and application in the book by Teri Tom, “The Straight Lead.”
Then you might enjoy this book:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can sort of see what you’re talking about;

If you look at street fighter videos, you have quite a few people who are untrained, yet can throw jabs quite well. If you’re not careful, some untrained clown can knock you out, even with a sloppy jab.
This statement is truth. Seen it more than once.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

Do you theoretical people comment just to do it?
Why are you calling people theoretical? Are you a professional fighter? An armed guard, or a soldier? A street thig?
Then everything you are saying is theory. Some of us have held some or all of those jobs. You insult observations by people but, who are you?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are getting drunk and angry typing.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
A jab is a quick straight with the forward hand. Either it's a quick straight with the forward hand or it isn't.

Yet people are always saying things like "crappy jab," "sorry excuse for a jab," blah blah blah.

If it's a jab, it's a jab. If it's not, it's not. The only way a jab would be "crappy" is if it's not a jab at all. In which case it would be something else. Most of the time the punches that people are calling "crappy jabs" are just jabs that for one reason or another didn't land. Does that make the jab bad?

Do you theoretical people comment just to do it?
And for the record, in my group and my teachers groups, there are 5 jabs.
So you should go to class and some boxing lessons Before you spar and or armchair quarterback.

Latest Discussions