Can we call MMA a style?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can go to MMA class and train MMA.
Oh, on a side note, "mixed martial arts" is to the 2010's what "karate" was to the 1980's. My physical therapist keeps asking me about movements I use in "your mixed martial arts classes" that might be bothering my shoulder.

Congratulations. It's not just a style, it's also a generalization.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If MMA isn't a style it is certainly very close to being one. In my opinion it has become a specific kind of martial art for a specific type of competition. All MMA gyms teach striking and grappling. Within that the most is Boxing and Muay Thai though there are some using Karate & TKD styles and of course there are a few additional however for the most part there is the addition of boxing and MT. In grappling there is Judo, Wrestling, and BJJ as well as some Sambo, Catch, and Shooto which most MMA gym use combinations of all the above. The thing is the training for MMA is specific.
Muay Thai for MMA is modified. It isn't the same Muay Thai as in a Muay Thai fight.
Boxing for MMA is modified. It isn't the same as in just a boxing match.
All of the grappling is modified and isn't the same as in their specific training or competition formats.
They are all modified to work within the environment and rule sets for MMA competitions. The training of the techniques have grown to be specific for that environment and in that has become a method of learning, training, practicing, and fighting. Just as K1 has become a specific art for it's competition due to its rule sets. Dutch Style Muay Thai has become its own style because of its rule set and point system compared to Muay Thai.

Last edited:

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't doubt that they want to change things and change will come because its all about $$$$$ for all respective parties concerned.

They want to come up with something new its been said combining Martial Arts MMA / UFC and Boxing to gain new ground and market audience.

There will always be traditional martial arts as long as people keep them alive and thats the fight that we are in.

I hope to see renewed emphasis on TMA because thats where the real knowledge is hidden in the intricacies of fighting art and science.

MMA is a sport from a gym perspective not a style and a system of collective arts for UFC events, as a best fitting term and expression! ;)

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The thing is the training for MMA is specific.
Muay Thai for MMA is modified. It isn't the same Muay Thai as in a Muay Thai fight.
Boxing for MMA is modified. It isn't the same as in just a boxing match.
All of the grappling is modified and isn't the same as in their specific training or competition formats.
They are all modified to work within the environment and rule sets for MMA competitions.
Good point. MMA is more than a sum (or mix) of parts (or martial arts). It is becoming its own thing with its own identity, (originally) fed off other martial arts. Isn't it the same for all modern martial arts?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean if we are going to be anal about terms like styles and systems I'm saying that others address in certain posts then we could go on forever here.
I'm going to assume this was addressed to me. I was not being anal, I wanted clarification so that when we converse we're on the same page. I'm fine with using whatever words you want, I just need to know what those words mean to you.

However, at this point you've responded to me twice now, along with others, ignoring my attempts at direct conversation and instead just being passive-aggressive. To me, that's a cue you don't want an actual conversation, you want to be right, so I hope that works out for you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoL UFC is money and a company so is Boxing - USA Boxing - Features, Events, Results | Team USA ......... whats your point?

Boxing is a company? Really? You are making the mistake of assuming UFC is what fighters are doing when they fight, basic fanboy ignorance.

By the way Martial Arts is full of making money and a business don't deny it or disagree with me on that please because thats the world we live in.

I won't deny some martial artists are in it for money, and why shouldn't they be but to say martial arts is 'full' of making money is rubbish. Most gyms and schools in the UK aren't businesses and don't do it for the money.

MMA is a sport from a gym perspective not a style and a system of collective arts for UFC events, as a best fitting term and expression!

You keep calling them 'UFC' events, I suppose you realise there are many other promotions out there as well the UFC?

I think you don't actually know very much about MMA and are trying to sound as if you know what you are talking about. Sadly you don't, basically it doesn't matter whether you think it's a style or not because MMAers don't care what you think.

I don't doubt that they want to change things and change will come because its all about $$$$$ for all respective parties concerned.

Not sure who the 'they' you refer to are but there are many amateur MMA fighters who don't fight for a purse and have no intentions of ever doing so. They enjoy training MMA and like to have a bout every so often to challenge themselves and confirm their training.

There will always be traditional martial arts as long as people keep them alive and thats the fight that we are in.

Yes martial arts will always be around and no that's not a fight we are in. You seem not to know about the 'Kung Fu' can kick boxing' fads that went around, martial arts weren't threatened by them and MMA isn't a threat, after all where do you think the techniques in MMA come from if not TMA? I think you are just trying to stir things up here for your own enjoyment. please don't try to patronise posters here with your little talks about opinions etc, you don't have the answers to everything martial arts, you don't even have the questions.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
...................I'm out to get you.......... boo........ LoL

Relax mate, what I'm addressing is more like covering a few threads and whoever is wishing to discuss here you or anyone for that matter, how clear can I be LoL

Its not personal, although i would advise critique the post not the poster could fall into better ways of understanding this Forum as we all chat together.

The anal part is again the emphasis on people sticking to particular words that are out of place or meaning.

I hope we both have good anal functions because we need it as we get older LoL

Or I could say I love you mate relax but thats weird, right LoL

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Boxing is a company? Really? You are making the mistake of assuming UFC is what fighters are doing when they fight, basic fanboy ignorance.

I won't deny some martial artists are in it for money, and why shouldn't they be but to say martial arts is 'full' of making money is rubbish. Most gyms and schools in the UK aren't businesses and don't do it for the money.

You keep calling them 'UFC' events, I suppose you realise there are many other promotions out there as well the UFC?

I think you don't actually know very much about MMA and are trying to sound as if you know what you are talking about. Sadly you don't, basically it doesn't matter whether you think it's a style or not because MMAers don't care what you think.

Not sure who the 'they' you refer to are but there are many amateur MMA fighters who don't fight for a purse and have no intentions of ever doing so. They enjoy training MMA and like to have a bout every so often to challenge themselves and confirm their training.

Yes martial arts will always be around and no that's not a fight we are in. You seem not to know about the 'Kung Fu' can kick boxing' fads that went around, martial arts weren't threatened by them and MMA isn't a threat, after all where do you think the techniques in MMA come from if not TMA? I think you are just trying to stir things up here for your own enjoyment. please don't try to patronise posters here with your little talks about opinions etc, you don't have the answers to everything martial arts, you don't even have the questions.

Opinions of course vary ;) we all have one they run like toilet paper. LoL

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In conversation, I find myself recognizing it as it's own style. But that's just in my world. For instance, if I was discussing Martial Arts guys with my friends, and they didn't know who I meant, I'd say....

Tae-Kwon-Do guy out of Detroit, tall, wears nice suits.
Kickboxer, black hair, beard, southern accent.
MMA guy, walks his dog in the park, always eating fruit.
Uechi Guy, drives a green pickup, hot girlfriend.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...................I'm out to get you.......... boo........ LoL

Relax mate, what I'm addressing is more like covering a few threads and whoever is wishing to discuss here you or anyone for that matter, how clear can I be LoL

Its not personal, although i would advise critique the post not the poster could fall into better ways of understanding this Forum as we all chat together.

The anal part is again the emphasis on people sticking to particular words that are out of place or meaning.

I hope we both have good anal functions because we need it as we get older LoL

Or I could say I love you mate relax but thats weird, right LoL

Really? I think you are actually off in your own little world and not actually engaging in meaningful conversation because it reads like you are having a conversation with someone we aren't privy to. I think I've been here a tad longer than you so probably don't need to be told how to 'understand' this place. You might want to keep your scatological comments to yourself, we really don't need to know.
Oh and I'm not your 'mate'.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? I think you are actually off in your own little world and not actually engaging in meaningful conversation because it reads like you are having a conversation with someone we aren't privy to. I think I've been here a tad longer than you so probably don't need to be told how to 'understand' this place. You might want to keep your scatological comments to yourself, we really don't need to know.
Oh and I'm not your 'mate'.

Get over your self and don't make things personal take matters more lightly so you dont work yourself up might help here also!

Your aggression is unwarranted as to why let me know privately

Have a great day your above statement sheds more light on you than me considering your private message two weeks ago!

Its no skin off my nose but relax I sent you a PM if you want to chat privately.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get over your self and don't make things personal take matters more lightly so you dont work yourself up might help here also!

Have a great day your above statement sheds more light on you than me considering your private message two weeks ago!

Its no skin off my nose but relax I sent you a PM if you want to chat privately.

So you are turning into one the bullies? Shame. I'm not taking this personally nor am I worked up, you wouldn't like it if I were, trust me. I just telling what I see. You are making nonsense claims like 'boxing being a company'. Stick to what you know and you won't get upset when someone disagrees with you.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So you are turning into one the bullies? Shame. I'm not taking this personally nor am I worked up, you wouldn't like it if I were, trust me. I just telling what I see. You are making nonsense claims like 'boxing being a company'. Stick to what you know and you won't get upset when someone disagrees with you.

No I'm not a bully at all, however I can conversate and stick to my opinion and formalize my argument for it, holding my own so to speak there is a difference.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Due to the unpleasant PM's he's sent, fightertwister is now on ignore. A shame considering I stood up for him when he first came on the site as some were upsetting him.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
MMA striking is different than mt, boxing, or karate, but it draws on all three(and more)

MMA grappling is different than wrestling, BJJ, or judo, but it draws on all three(and more)

To say MMA is just a patchwork of styles betrays an ignorance of the subject.

But to be honest, the primary opponent to this idea has betrayed his ignorance of martial arts in general with his first post, and every post since..so who cares really...

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Due to the unpleasant PM's he's sent, fightertwister is now on ignore. A shame considering I stood up for him when he first came on the site as some were upsetting him.

You have all of a sudden chosen to bite in two posts and all I'm doing is trying to understand your angle here or why you have taken this action towards me.

Please don't lie about unpleasant Post Message its in my in box as well you know to copy and paste in Forum if you like, all I did was ask you to carry this issue privately in a post message you are taking this further than it should go, however its your choice to proceed as you like.

But if you chose to behave like a child and that was my reply to you in the post message you ought to be told to grow up, in like manner.

Since you did not respect my wishes to avoid Forum dispute, this would be fair and correct am I right or not?

I will always be who I am and willing to chat privately or openly to either resolve the matter or help you understand who I am as it seems you have taken me the wrong way.

What you did upon registering sending me a PM was to warn me about the Forum now you change your heart and stance on the matter that you did on your own accord, cant blame me for your actions or in inactions.

I wasn't seeking your help but I replied with much appreciation and thanks as to why the sudden turn that says more about you than me and you have made this thread off topic and very public.

Its no skin off my nose if you ignore me thats your choice to befriend or not to befriend I'm here just conversating and we all have opinion TEZ3 and in some cases its better to say.....

"We will have to Agree to Disagree"................. when we don't see eye to eye!

I have used that a few times already in Forum, you cant blame me if I am confident in my stance or opinion.

You might not like confrontation hence your over reaction but I know have learned to confront and maintain respect in my personal life and professional life, I think this is what you struggle with.

I'm here to chat further privately at any point you wish to address me again, door is open so to speak..................................

TEZ3 I'm 45 years of age married with kids you must have thought I was some kid here.

So I really don't understand your angle at all.

You also must have assumed I have no experience to offer or knowledge to share or that I would be some ignorant person upon registering here at Martialtalk.

I mean thanks for the initial heads up but I also can hold my own or at least I know how to contact a mod this is not my first time on a Forum by the way.

I'm here to discuss and be part but I'm no novice on these subjects nor am I not an uneducated person.

However I will be assertive no different than anyone else here especially on my views and opinions but respect the person always or least as much as possible.

Sad that you took it all in this way oh well thats life.

Take care!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions