Can I get a reference?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently bought Ted Hillson's book, 21 Classic Taekwondo Forms & GM Duk Sung Son's, Korean Karate. Both are great books. As I read them however, I have more questions than they address. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm looking for suggestions of books that have detailed meanings, average rank that the form was geared toward & other such things. I have a head start on a few references. For example: GM Kim Soo's books are the Palgwe forms are excellent. We have the "pinned" explanation of the Tae Geuk forms on this forum.

I'd loved to know about Bassai (Pal Sek), the Pynon Ahn forms, Yun Bi & the Chang Hon tul. As well as any other Kwan era or other forms that aren't widely used.

It seems that the information that is shared is often sparse.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently bought Ted Hillson's book, 21 Classic Taekwondo Forms & GM Duk Sung Son's, Korean Karate. Both are great books. As I read them however, I have more questions than they address. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I'm looking for suggestions of books that have detailed meanings, average rank that the form was geared toward & other such things. I have a head start on a few references. For example: GM Kim Soo's books are the Palgwe forms are excellent. We have the "pinned" explanation of the Tae Geuk forms on this forum.

I'd loved to know about Bassai (Pal Sek), the Pynon Ahn forms, Yun Bi & the Chang Hon tul. As well as any other Kwan era or other forms that aren't widely used.

It seems that the information that is shared is often sparse.

Tom, Simon O'Neill's book, which is in the production stage, will be giving detailed boon hae for the Taegeuks. I don't know when it will actually be out or who the publisher will be, but it will probably be the state of the art on applications for the official WTF colored belt forms when it appears. Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to be covering the Palgwes—basically, they're still too specialized and marginal within the WTF curriculum to make it worthwhile spending a huge amount of time on, is what I've heard from him.

I'll be looking at the answers you get to this query with great interest!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PS can you give us the specifics of those books on the Palgwes you mention in the OP?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PS can you give us the specifics of those books on the Palgwes you mention in the OP?

Sure, GM Kim Soo's Palgue 1,2,3 of Tae Kwon Do Hyung, Palgue 4,5,6 of Tae Kwon Do Hyung, & Palgue 7,8 Tae Kwon Do Hyung Black Belt Requirements. Ohara Publications. They are the best books I've seen of the subject.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tom, Simon O'Neill's book, which is in the production stage, will be giving detailed boon hae for the Taegeuks. I don't know when it will actually be out or who the publisher will be, but it will probably be the state of the art on applications for the official WTF colored belt forms when it appears. Unfortunately, I don't think he's going to be covering the Palgwes—basically, they're still too specialized and marginal within the WTF curriculum to make it worthwhile spending a huge amount of time on, is what I've heard from him.

If anyone hears of this book being released, I certainly hope that they will post something on this board about it. I, for one, look forward to this work!

I'll be looking at the answers you get to this query with great interest!
As will I. Subscribing to the thread now...

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tom, Simon O'Neill's book, which is in the production stage, will be giving detailed boon hae for the Taegeuks. I don't know when it will actually be out or who the publisher will be, but it will probably be the state of the art on applications for the official WTF colored belt forms when it appears.
I am curious, what is the source of Mr. O’Neill’s applications? Was he taught them by an instructor who was schooled on the applications of the Tae Geuk poomse or did he come up with them on his own?
My experience may not be that common but I was taught many applications of the Tae Geuk poomse. I believe these applications to be derived from an authentic interpretation of the Tae Geuk poomse, which are far more sophisticated than many consider them to be.
It’s not fair to critique Mr. O’Neill’s work before it is released but I do find the highlighted portion of the quote to be a bit concerning. It implies, at least to me, that he is looking for applications that fit rather than learning a genuine interpretation of the forms. It has been my experience that when someone wants to find applications of the Tae Geuk poomse they either interpreted them as one would a JMA kata, extracting JMA bunkai or they go to a kwan era master to reveal the use of a movement before it was put into the Tae Geuks. These methods are fine, you will have usable applications for the movements but you will lack a true understanding of the poomse, seriously limiting their overall effectiveness.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am curious, what is the source of Mr. O’Neill’s applications? Was he taught them by an instructor who was schooled on the applications of the Tae Geuk poomse or did he come up with them on his own?
My experience may not be that common but I was taught many applications of the Tae Geuk poomse. I believe these applications to be derived from an authentic interpretation of the Tae Geuk poomse, which are far more sophisticated than many consider them to be.
It’s not fair to critique Mr. O’Neill’s work before it is released but I do find the highlighted portion of the quote to be a bit concerning. It implies, at least to me, that he is looking for applications that fit rather than learning a genuine interpretation of the forms. It has been my experience that when someone wants to find applications of the Tae Geuk poomse they either interpreted them as one would a JMA kata, extracting JMA bunkai or they go to a kwan era master to reveal the use of a movement before it was put into the Tae Geuks. These methods are fine, you will have usable applications for the movements but you will lack a true understanding of the poomse, seriously limiting their overall effectiveness.

Good question. Perhaps Mr. O'Neil will speak to GM Park, Hae Man or one of the other GM's who helped design the Tae Guek poomsae.

e ship yuk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd suggest looking at Tang Soo Do books. You can grab the books by Hwang Kee at the US Soo Bahk Do Fed website (labeled volumes 1 and 2), though they have little in the way of application. They do specify around what level the forms are taught. Kang Uk Lee's book I've also heard very good things about.

Latest Discussions