Kwan

Mr. Miller

White Belt
Reaction score
Good afternoon! It's been a little while since I've joined you, and I am pretty new to this forum, however, I do have a question that I'm hoping will open up some good discussion. I used to train in Chung Do Kwan, and was taught traditional style (quite rare I'm finding now). I did not train for several years, and have moved since as well. I am now training in a Ji Do Kwan school, but it seems to have lost the "flavor" of it's lineage, and I am wondering what the major (and minor) differences are between the two kwans traditionally. Please help educate me. Thanks!

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
First off, let me say this is entirely based on my own personal experiences and observations, which with Kukkiwon style TKD (Olympic style) based schools is limited:
It has been my experience that while schools vary from kwan to kwan, they can vary just as much from school to school within the kwan. Also, many schools focus less on lineage because often they either have not done their own homework or figure people do not care. Hopefully someone will have more information for you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off, let me say this is entirely based on my own personal experiences and observations, which with Kukkiwon style TKD (Olympic style) based schools is limited:
It has been my experience that while schools vary from kwan to kwan, they can vary just as much from school to school within the kwan. Also, many schools focus less on lineage because often they either have not done their own homework or figure people do not care. Hopefully someone will have more information for you.

This while is the truth, needs to be alittle more in sight. Most Kwan linage has changed over the last twenty five years and nobody except the true leaders of thos ekwans can really answer your question. Intrepetation is so open for all of us and alot of valueble info. was lost in translation. You will have those that will give you there views an what there instructors tell you, but thetruth is in Korean MA the truth reads like a fiction novel and has to many views by too many Master and GM. I hope you can truely find what you are looking for and if you do so will I.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Mr. Miller,

You can find most of your answers to the Chungdo-Kwan and Jido-Kwan on the internet nowadays.

Terry was correct about the changes, but it has been closer to 40 years since the "TKD evolution" has been spurred. Most (not all) of the 2nd and 3rd generation students gave up the old lineage and focused on the new requirements as created/taught in ITF or WTF lines. This is why it is difficult to ask them about such things or old requirements.

It is is nice to have an instructor that was among the early generation from the early kwans - first hand knowledge. He says that he remembers the sparring with the Jido-Kwan being very noted for their front kicks and the Chungdo-Kwan noted for the use of the side kick and backfist.

You can find my latest interview on the subject in the Jan. 2008 issue of Black Belt Magazine.

R. McLain

Good afternoon! It's been a little while since I've joined you, and I am pretty new to this forum, however, I do have a question that I'm hoping will open up some good discussion. I used to train in Chung Do Kwan, and was taught traditional style (quite rare I'm finding now). I did not train for several years, and have moved since as well. I am now training in a Ji Do Kwan school, but it seems to have lost the "flavor" of it's lineage, and I am wondering what the major (and minor) differences are between the two kwans traditionally. Please help educate me. Thanks!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master McLain has really said it well. But I've noticed big differences withih kwans as well. In Chung Do Kwan schools, some use the Chang Hon forms & others train the Tae Geuk or even more TSD forms. GM Son, Duk Sung & GM Park, Hae Man have different ideas of what CDK is.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master McLain has really said it well. But I've noticed big differences withih kwans as well. In Chung Do Kwan schools, some use the Chang Hon forms & others train the Tae Geuk or even more TSD forms. GM Son, Duk Sung & GM Park, Hae Man have different ideas of what CDK is.

This is so true Iceman, one would think coming from the same linage the same way of thinking.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really. You can two schools practicing Chung Do Kwan, and two radically different versions of Tae Kwon Do.
Our school is affiliated with GGM Woon Kyu Uhm (Chung Do Kwan President) and has remained true to his version of it.
Ji Do Kwan did focus on front kicks, while Chung Do Kwan emphasized the side kick, back side kick, and jumping side kick.

Latest Discussions