Can i do multiple martial arts at the same time???? Please help

MouldyFish

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello there, i know this question is asked a lot, but i feel like i have a more specific version... kind of....

Basically, i have been doing karate for a while now, only a year or so, and im just over half way to black belt. I love kicking as well, so thought taekwondo might be a good option. Although, because some moves in karate and taekwondo are similar but not quite the same, would this interfere with my karate training? For example, the roundhouse kick or front kick are slightly different in these two styles i believe, so it may be a problem...

Any feedback is much appreciated as this is so frustrating to deal with...

Thanks a lot everyone :D

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This really depends on you. Some people have issues with that, particularly with two styles close together. Some are able to separate and say (mentally/physiologically): okay, in this style I put my foot at x angle in roundhouse, in that style I do y angle.

I personally have a lot of trouble with that; once my body knows what it wants to do, it knows. And I can change it, but not every other day. Also feels like a bit of wasting time training. I do know people that have done it without any issues though.

That said, I don't really understand your issue. Most karate styles have the same kicks as most tkd styles, to my knowledge. Possibly not some of the tricking (ie: jumping 480 hook kick), but that's not guaranteed in tkd as well.

If you feel like you're not getting enough practice time in the dojo on kicks, that's something to either request more of, have private lessons to work on your technique if you're having specific issues, or (most likely) practice more on your own time.

Gyuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This really depends on you. Some people have issues with that, particularly with two styles close together. Some are able to separate and say (mentally/physiologically): okay, in this style I put my foot at x angle in roundhouse, in that style I do y angle.

I personally have a lot of trouble with that; once my body knows what it wants to do, it knows. And I can change it, but not every other day. Also feels like a bit of wasting time training. I do know people that have done it without any issues though.

That said, I don't really understand your issue. Most karate styles have the same kicks as most tkd styles, to my knowledge. Possibly not some of the tricking (ie: jumping 480 hook kick), but that's not guaranteed in tkd as well.

If you feel like you're not getting enough practice time in the dojo on kicks, that's something to either request more of, have private lessons to work on your technique if you're having specific issues, or (most likely) practice more on your own time.
For me it's to the point that once I am satisfied and natural in a way it is very hard to convince my body to do otherwise. I can and will do it for kihon or kata reasons but when I go back to sparring my body knows ehat to do.
I find it counterproductive to change minute details especially if the principle behind the movement/source of and energy transfer are the same.

I can appreciate various types of roundhouse as an exemple:
The snapping one
The one with more follow trough as in Muai Thai
The diagonal one aimed at liver as in Savate
The one aimed downwards towards the leg
Etc etc but variations of each may become overkill for my little memory to retain and be able to use efficiently in actual combat/sparring...

As I wish to focus my practice in pragmatism and self defense, I know for me 2 arts that are "similar" would not be useful but indeed confusing.

I can understand the dilemma however as sometimes it may be tempting to try something else for various reasons... I am just more the kind of person who will leave one to do another completely.
I am not the best learner maybe.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The key is if you have a sensei that is more intent on passing on a STYLE rather than teaching students. If that is the case, I think having occasional technical slips between one style and another can be a problem. If not, enjoy the cross-training. More training with excellent instruction is only good in my opinion if you can handle it.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello there, i know this question is asked a lot, but i feel like i have a more specific version... kind of....

Basically, i have been doing karate for a while now, only a year or so, and im just over half way to black belt. I love kicking as well, so thought taekwondo might be a good option. Although, because some moves in karate and taekwondo are similar but not quite the same, would this interfere with my karate training? For example, the roundhouse kick or front kick are slightly different in these two styles i believe, so it may be a problem...

I personally wouldn't do it. I've been practicing and teaching my version of American Kenpo since 1978. I studied Tracy Kenpo to black and then American Kenpo to black. I still teach and write books.on my version of American Kenpo.
I personally would not take more than one art at a time. But maybe you can do it. I believe that to really learn a martial art, that one should devote their attention 100% and not split their attention between two or more arts. I do not think it would be beneficial in many ways. But, that's just my opinion for what it's worth.
Good luck!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't do it. I've been practicing and teaching my version of American Kenpo since 1978. I studied Tracy Kenpo to black and then American Kenpo to black. I still teach and write books.on my version of American Kenpo.
I personally would not take more than one art at a time. But maybe you can do it. I believe that to really learn a martial art, that one should devote their attention 100% and not split their attention between two or more arts. I do not think it would be beneficial in many ways. But, that's just my opinion for what it's worth.
Good luck!
Or they can just promote themselves to 10th Dan, like you did. 🤣

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If you're aware of the differences in the kicks, it should be okay.

When I first trained, me and some of the fellas would be at the boxing gym all morning and in the dojo all night. Sure was fun.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only real limit is your available time and money. Now, it's likely that training multiple arts will mean slower progress in each compared to focusing on just one. But how much that matters, if at all, is your business.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Or they can just promote themselves to 10th Dan, like you did. 🤣
OK, let me explain... again. I have a certificate for 5th degree. I have over the years, created techniques up to 10th degree. I consider myself a 10th degree in knowledge. The only reason I would want a certificate is to be able to teach at certain places. For example, I taught for the city and they required a certificate. I'm sorry this bothers you a lot. You should consider the knowledge a person has and not a piece of paper. This is the last time I will try to explain it to you. You have a good life.
Sifu

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more grounded you are in one art, the easier it is to incorporate a similar art. However, there is no "rule" on what you can or can't do. You could start both on the same day, or only do one art for your entire life.

With only a year in Karate, my recommendation would be to stick with it, and if you want to add another art, add something completely different (like wrestling). If you want to argue with me about it and do TKD instead, then skip the arguing and do it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only real limit is your available time and money. Now, it's likely that training multiple arts will mean slower progress in each compared to focusing on just one. But how much that matters, if at all, is your business.

If the choice is between doing another TKD class and doing a karate class. Then yeah.

If it is between karate class and desperate housewives then not so much.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's the difference in knowledge between 5th, 9th, and 10th degree again?

Asking for a friend.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You want to grow tall. You don't want to grow fat. Anything that can help you to grow tall is good.

First you need to understand how to grow tall.
You know people don't get to pick their DNA, right?
Your DNA determines your potential height. Things such as diet, hormones, etc can prevent you from reaching that potential height, but nothing you can do (short of some fairly drastic surgery) is going to make you surpass that height.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know people don't get to pick their DNA, right?
Your DNA determines your potential height. Things such as diet, hormones, etc can prevent you from reaching that potential height, but nothing you can do (short of some fairly drastic surgery) is going to make you surpass that height.
High heels.

OP
M

MouldyFish

White Belt
Reaction score
Well to anyone that sees this… thank you very much for all your replies I found them very helpful… I have decided not to start TKD, but am still on the look out for a possible 2nd art for when I get to a decent belt in karate (I will carry on karate as well as the other art)…. Any suggestions on what is a good style to add to karate???

Latest Discussions