Reaction score
Totally awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I saw that trailer I just KNEW that I would have to watch it one day soon.

A rock band, all of whose members are black belts in taekwondo, who have to battle a ninja clan in Miami? SOLD!

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
"They're all black belts in taekwondo and they're pretty bad. . ."

I can't wait to see this movie. And that song is legitimately awesome.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sad to say, I saw that movie on video tape back in the 1980's. It looks even worse than I remember (and I remember it being horrible).

Pax,

Chris

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Totally awesome.

Uuhh, yeah...
3rd time I visited and didn't respond prior for not wanting to damage your enthusiasm. IMO, as a movie goes bad. As martial arts goes bad. As self-defense goes bad. As entertainment goes, not entertained. As to awesome; not the term I would use.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sad to say, I saw that movie on video tape back in the 1980's. It looks even worse than I remember (and I remember it being horrible).

Pax,

Chris

Uuhh, yeah...
3rd time I visited and didn't respond prior for not wanting to damage your enthusiasm. IMO, as a movie goes bad. As martial arts goes bad. As self-defense goes bad. As entertainment goes, not entertained. As to awesome; not the term I would use.

You guys take things way too seriously.

Anyone who grew up watching ninja movies should be able to appreciate the awesome 80s goodness on display here.

Let me ask you this: Is the following picture too awesome for you to handle? If it's not, then yeah . . . you're not the target audience for this film.

Kosugi-collage.jpg

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not taking things "too seriously." I just happen to have actually seen that movie. It's bad. If you like bad movies you'll love "Miami Connection."

Pax,

Chris

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a bad movie is good. Hence the popularity of MST3000.

And in the right mood, I've been known to intentionally get movies that I know are going to be bad. I've actually watched... dare I say it... Kung Fu Dunk...

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes a bad movie is good. Hence the popularity of MST3000.

Quite the contrary! MST3000 is good not because the movies they watch are bad but because the insults they hurl at the bad movies are good! Check out, for example, the episode where they watch "Manos, Hands of Fate." The film itself induces actual physical pain. But they jokes they tell at its expense are awesome.

Pax,

Chris

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you like bad movies you'll love "Miami Connection."

I guess it depends on the kind of badness. Most people would've called the 80s Sho Kosugi ninja movies "bad," and in a way they were, but despite whatever flaws they have I think they're a riot and I love them. Or how about "The Last Dragon" with Taimak? So bad but so good. Then there are the movies that are bad in that they possess the greatest flaw of all: They are just not entertaining. That's an unacceptable kind of badness.

I can say that I'm super-entertained by that trailer. I've watched it about 15 times now. So if the movie is like the trailer, I'm down.

Also, there's a retro/nostalgia appeal to this kind of stuff. It reminds of me being a 9 year old kid and running around the woods in a ninja mask thinking that one day I would go to Japan and join a ninja clan. I miss those days. Life was more fun then.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh oh. . . Speaking of bad movies, this looks like it may be too insane even for me. . .

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Totally awesome.

"AWESOME & PROOF GOD EXISTS...A Psychotoronic Masterpiece!"- Mr. Beaks, Ain't It Cool News. Now That's a review.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!!! Did you just say Maurice Smith!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HOLY CRAP!!!!! And he finds out who his father is?!?!?!?!?! Oh, I'm definitely intrigued.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I found this interview with the filmmaker, TKD Grandmaster YK Kim:

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I remember seeing ads for this Y.K Mim's school in TKD Times and it also showed an ad for this movie back in the day.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL

Latest Discussions