Bruce Lee responds to a question

Meitetsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A-Letter-From-Bruce-Lee.jpg

"If I were you, I would concentrate on efficient techniques and their application in sparring." Put that **** on a banknote.

The breakdown is here:
http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/11/letter-from-bruce-lee-kung-fu-hammer-demonstration

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Bruce Lee!
You were my inspiration in the early days of my youth................... :asian:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heh, that letter and reply reminds me of a conversation a friend of mine and I had while watching a martial arts demonstration. There were several instructors from various arts demonstrating and one gentleman was a CMA stylist. For part of his segment he had students place a large concrete block on his back and then break it with a sledge hammer. A friend of mine turned to me and said that it was pretty impressive, to which I replied: "He should leave out the concrete block."

I think things such as board and brick breaking actually do show a person's power and even speed (when breaking suspended boards or free standing tiles). But there are many tricks people can pull on unsuspecting audiences, too.

Pax,

Chris

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What's interesting is that Bruce Lee was the guy who went around to different schools and challenging people to fights just to prove how good he was. Even punched (allegedly) an old Tai Chi guy who was doing a demo on a cable TV show.

Then he got humbled by Jak Man Wong, who wasn't anyone special other than some run of the mill Kung-Fu guy who worked full time as a waiter at a coffee shop. Wong said he was answering Bruce Lee's ad that challenged other martial artists to a fight. Not some, "don't teach Whiteys Kung-Fu, line in the sand deathmatch" made up to further the myths.

Then Bruce's movie career took off. Along with fame & fortune, came civility and playing nice for the cameras in order to keep and expand such fame. Similar (although not as bad) to Snoop Dog, Fifty Cent, etc... who were once drug dealers that corrupted and killed people...but cleaned up after they became famous and seeing the exponential gains attainable, compared to their former occupation.

Latest Discussions