Where do these trapping techniques come from?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I go by indicators.
If you have indicators then I don't see why you have so many questions.

Personally when I first started looking for a school, I didn't focus on if a school was a rip off. I simply picked the things that I wanted out of a martial art and then picked the school that met those needs. I knew I wanted to learn how to use weapons like sword, dagger, spear, staff, chain whip. So right away that greatly reduced my choices to Kung Fu. The next characteristic was that I wanted a school that did conditioning like and traditional strength training. Again my choices were reduced again. I had maybe 3 or 4 schools to choose from. I went to the one that was closest to me and watched a class, spoke with the sales person, spoke to the instructor, and asked the students questions.

When it sounded like it was something like I wanted to try, I then asked if there was a trial class that I could take, there was, and I took it. It took 1 day 1 class for me to know that it was the right system of kung fu and right school for me.

Not once did I go into martial arts by trying to find signs of a "rip off."

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he goes for Judo, he'll need a couple of Judo gi. If he thinks that shirt was expensive...

Honestly they could provide him a free gi and he would find another excuse to not go. The matt is the wrong color and it offends me.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...I think I'll really go by looking for something which doesn't cost that much and where you can quit at any time.

The bolded part in the quote above speaks volumes about your attitude. You want the cheapest thing that is perfect, but since that's obviously impossible, you are thinking about quitting before you even start. :confused:

When I started at my first WC school back in '79 I was really poor, but young and single without too many responsibilities, so when the instructor just asked me for one month's tuition, instead I paid him for three months in cash so that quitting wasn't an option.

Even then I had already trained some kenpo and knew that if you don't commit for at least three to six months, you won't learn anything!

BTW if you don't believe this, stop in at your local university and ask them if you can sign up for a course, but just pay by the class so you can quit any time you want. :p

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm different from you, but to me it plays a role if I feel like the people at the school are trustworthy and normal.
If I feel like they're simply greedy jerks then I also cannot trust that they even try to teach people good stuff.
Then their focus in on money and I don't like that. It bothers me.

It's like going to a doctor and you have to pay up front. Would you trust such a doctor? Hell no.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The focus is on money, it is a business. It is not a charity where they are doing it out pure kindness. Ask anyone here if they would teach you for free, you would get laughed out of the forum.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No the focus should not be on money. The focus should be on training people AND making a living.

This is a huge difference!

Take doctors as example. There are docs which are in only for the money. They suck and you quickly notice that they suck and only want money.

AND there are doctors which actually care about their patients and don't just do it for the money.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
No the focus should not be on money. The focus should be on training people AND making a living.

This is a huge difference!

Take doctors as example. There are docs which are in only for the money. They suck and you quickly notice that they suck and only want money.

AND there are doctors which actually care about their patients and don't just do it for the money.

I didn't say it's only about the money but the money is A very big part of the equation. They have to pay for their rent of the space and building, plus insurance and utilities, and their own personal expenses.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say it's only about the money but the money is A very big part of the equation. They have to pay for their rent of the space and building, plus insurance and utilities, and their own personal expenses.

I know that but so do doctors. Paying bills is no excuse for being greedy.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that but so do doctors. Paying bills is no excuse for being greedy.

In your case it is not about greed. Several people in here, myself included have told you that we pay more money than what you would be paying and I am pretty sure we all are getting our money's worth.

OP
K

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The fees isn't what this is about. I would rather have a bit higher monthly fee without rip off tactics like having to sign in for 12 months, having to
buy their stuff from their stores. THIS is what bothers me so much.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have all been through this conversation before many times. If you truly cannot find a place that does monthly then you have three options. Travel for training, if that is not possible then suck it up and deal with it, or don't.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bolded part in the quote above speaks volumes about your attitude. You want the cheapest thing that is perfect, but since that's obviously impossible, you are thinking about quitting before you even start. :confused:

When I started at my first WC school back in '79 I was really poor, but young and single without too many responsibilities, so when the instructor just asked me for one month's tuition, instead I paid him for three months in cash so that quitting wasn't an option.

Even then I had already trained some kenpo and knew that if you don't commit for at least three to six months, you won't learn anything!

BTW if you don't believe this, stop in at your local university and ask them if you can sign up for a course, but just pay by the class so you can quit any time you want. :p

This I think is important. Now I am just a stubborn SOB, but if I wasn't I would have done the 3 month option at my current school. Why? Well I haven't been studying WC or FMA as long as others here by a long shot and I knew that the techniques were going to be very different than the arts I had studied formally before (Karate and Aikido mostly) and so I would be fighting a lot of muscle memory and making mistakes. I still find myself grabbing occasionally vs simply checking because I keep, subconsciously, preparing to apply a lock or execute a throw. That kind of frustration, feeling like "I am just not getting it" can make you want to throw in the towel.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The fees isn't what this is about. I would rather have a bit higher monthly fee without rip off tactics like having to sign in for 12 months, having to
buy their stuff from their stores. THIS is what bothers me so much.
Sorry but are you stupid or something maybe one school does that in your area but not all of them will do I 100 percent guarantee that your talking like every single school does it guess what they don't man up and go to a class or shut the hell up and stop wasting everyone's time

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Buy a zehnerkarte.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP. Just tell us the town you live in and we can find you a place. On one condition, you actually have to go their and commit yourself to training. Deal?

D

Deleted member 34973

they have no zehnerkarte! duh
Keep wasting everyones time...I am really enjoying your threads. I recieved the same response when I asked about just one system. Lol You cant ask about styles here at martial talk.

I kid, I kid

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OP. Just tell us the town you live in and we can find you a place. On one condition, you actually have to go their and commit yourself to training. Deal?
Nah he doesn't like the fact you have to pay money to train he wants a grandmaster to come to his door and turn him into Bruce lee by next week

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
they have no zehnerkarte! duh
You don't know that. We don't officially have them either, but we offer them on a case by case basis when it is appropriate to the individual's personal situation.

Go face to face. Ask. If you make it clear that you don't mind paying a higher rate so you can try out the art / instruction for 10 sessions, they will make a special arrangement for you.

Or, you know, remain a fantasist.