Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. Quick aside, as someone who went to an inner city high school in the 80s, I remember when break dancing was cool and really new. At the time, general belief was that break dancing was NOT dancing.
I remember that too. People not dancing to sound that wasn’t music!

In my school we had an inter-house music competition where participants played music and were judged by the music teachers. It was a big deal! One house (‘Hadrian’s’) started their set off with a group of break dancers! It was unorthodox because….well….they weren’t playing music! They didn’t get very far, and my house (‘Marlborough’) won thanks to our rendition of a Rush classic, ‘Closer to the Heart’. I played keyboards! 😀

40 years later, and you're referring to break dancing as "proper", and the other stuff is "bunkum." How far we have come. :D
Well that Strictly Come Dancing/Dancing with the Stars is not dancing….it’s theatre. The actually Argentine tango is superb…the ballroom version is 🤢🤮
But to the point of the thread, I think folks who are athletic are going to appreciate benefits of their athleticism in any physical activity. But I don't think kata, for example, and break dancing are all that close.
I wasn’t meaning they were, just that the ability to move like break dancers seem to do so effortlessly would like make their performance of kata, truly beautiful…not least because of the sequinned keikogi.
Look at it like this. Get a ballet dancer (graceful, strong... really strong, athletic, flexible, etc) and ask them to break dance. Or get a top level break dancer and ask them to perform ballet. How much crossover is there? I would say little, and the same I think is true for martial arts.
You’ve omitted a control group of non-dancers. I’d be willing to bet £5 that the breakdancers would make a better job of ballet than non-dancers would etc. Pure speculation, of course…

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I remember that too. People not dancing to sound that wasn’t music!

In my school we had an inter-house music competition where participants played music and were judged by the music teachers. It was a big deal! One house (‘Hadrian’s’) started their set off with a group of break dancers! It was unorthodox because….well….they weren’t playing music! They didn’t get very far, and my house (‘Marlborough’) won thanks to our rendition of a Rush classic, ‘Closer to the Heart’. I played keyboards! 😀

Sounds like you went to Hogwarts! :)
You’ve omitted a control group of non-dancers. I’d be willing to bet £5 that the breakdancers would make a better job of ballet than non-dancers would etc. Pure speculation, of course…
You’re speaking my language.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get the impression that he's going through some stuff and am inclined to offer the poor guy some grace.
We all go through stuff from time to time, but I joined this forum over nine years ago and Dirty Dog's posts haven't changed from the time I first joined, in terms of not getting other people's points.

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If it's meant to be insulting and critical, we shouldn't be too surprised if the person to whom it's directed is insulted.
I've heard it used to describe conditions and there are those who, for whatever reason, match them or they wouldn't be humor. But I have never heard it directed at anyone. (Except at that dumba** bullshido?)

"What Is A McDojo? The definition of a "McDojo" is a martial arts school that is solely established to make money instead of genuinely teaching martial arts." But we see that group who are loud, obnoxious, "MA-adhd" type and call anybody they can fool "mc dojo" regardless of their own definition. That's why you have to scrutinize, because the mcdumbass is often pointing a tease finger and three are pointing back.

We sell any/all monk related, but do not mark up anything on dues paying students.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all go through stuff from time to time, but I joined this forum over nine years ago and Dirty Dog's posts haven't changed from the time I first joined, in terms of not getting other people's points.
I think I generally get your point. I just sometimes think the point is wrong. Or even ridiculous.

Last edited:

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I give pretty much no credit (or attention) to anything Andrew Tate says.
AT is a moron with his Alphamaleism. But here much important is how MacDojoLife answers AT's statements what is and what is not a legit martial arts gym.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
AT is a moron with his Alphamaleism. But here much important is how MacDojoLife answers AT's statements what is and what is not a legit martial arts gym.
If you think it's relevant, would you mind summarizing it? I'm not going to watch a video with that dude in it.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you think it's relevant, would you mind summarizing it? I'm not going to watch a video with that dude in it.
He basically says all TMAs are mcdojos, and all combat sports gyms are legit.
Rob counters saying plenty of combat sports super stars began competing while training TMAs

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So they got a mcdojo human to say some stupid stuff to sound trendy and thats all it is. Like bullshi**o
Andrew Tate has 76-9-0 pro kickboxing record, and 2-1-0 MMA record. It is difficult to tell that he has no idea about martial arts.
But ( like with everything) he avoids everything what is not consistent with this vision of the world.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Tate has 76-9-0 pro kickboxing record, and 2-1-0 MMA record. It is difficult to tell that he has no idea about martial arts.
But ( like with everything) he avoids everything what is not consistent with this vision of the world.
Rob from mcdojo life classifies instructors who sexual predators as a factor for mcdojoism, so the allegations of sexual misconduct against Tate is probably why he called Tate a human mcdojo.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Rob from mcdojo life classifies instructors who sexual predators as a factor for mcdojoism, so the allegations of sexual misconduct against Tate is probably why he called Tate a human mcdojo.
I think that's a super weird way to think about mcdojos. Sexual predators are scumbags. They are also, if convicted, criminals. And some of them may also run a McDojo. But the two aren't intrinsically linked. Many years ago, there was a BJJ black belt in Eastern Washington who was a sexual predator. Didn't run a McDojo... still a sexual predator, and also convicted, so a criminal as well.

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think that's a super weird way to think about mcdojos. Sexual predators are scumbags. They are also, if convicted, criminals. And some of them may also run a McDojo. But the two aren't intrinsically linked. Many years ago, there was a BJJ black belt in Eastern Washington who was a sexual predator. Didn't run a McDojo... still a sexual predator, and also convicted, so a criminal as well.
Many instructors stray a bit and some here and there are out right bird dogs. Most of us are way too proud and value our place way too much and want to have the integrity and ethics.

While I agree with the inclusion in a mcdojo possible trait list, I bit over the "Hollywood above all!" vanity image...and he isn't much of a chad eh?...AGAIN (yet another one) involving serious accusations of valuing one's self and misguided pleasure above all, while others are mere objects of gratification and abuse. Mr majestic turns out not.
You know most guys that treat em like that aren't "romantic" or "cuddly", they're mean at it.

I did not know he was a fighter with a resume' and I wouldn't detract from his ability....probably shouldn't be teaching chiki babes tho.
I think his creep factor detracts from his ma image more than his ma ability softening his alleged reality. At 58 I have known fighters and veterans that were complete ogres? Just the horns away from being a dang minotaur. Just none that were creepy to zee girls that I knew of?

(As to sexual mistakes and intentions among ma teachers, if any of your motive for teaching is juicy students, you are in some degree? People know the immediate difference between "human as all are" and "obsession", the beginning of a bad thing. The rankness of it in secular college professors should comfort you? We are no where near that creepy % and probably the least incidence in what are considered clergy/coach/teacher?)

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, but I think it’s just a way for him to keep predators in the MA world on topic for his channel based on his channel name.

It’s just his opinion, and no one has to agree with everything he says.

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...We are no where near that creepy % and probably the least incidence in what are considered clergy/coach/teacher?)

Was kinda hoping more would note that? Enjoy it.
That we really do have a high % of actually good guys,
compared to the others with = place/impact on peoples lives.

But back to the topic at hand - in my day, of alpha male warrior culture, if you really wanted to boil 'em, you called 'em a Dancing School. Compliment they mighty fine dancing school. :)

That was also during the very brief and wonderfully glorious "dojo wars!" that didn't last long enough, because some count dante dummy got killed and instant crankiness and the prohibition of going to beat up other schools was enforced.

Those were the days

Last edited:

Latest Discussions