Call To Police Works Against Caller

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an article that I read in todays paper. I was not there, so all I have to go off of is what the article says. As always, take it with a grain of salt, as we all know that things may not always be what they seem.

Apparently 2 detectives were attempting an arrest of a suspect on drug charges. The article states he was resisting. This bystander who most likely only saw half of the incident, is accusing them of excessive force. Now of course, if the suspect was resisting and the officers had to bring him down, its going to look like they're beating him.

I'm sure many of the LEOs that we have here will be able to relate to incidents like this.

My question is: Does things like this reflect a negative image on police officers? IMO, yes, it does. The paper tends to jump on stories like this, from people who most likely have half a story.

Maria Arcari was on her cellphone with a Hartford police dispatcher March 9, reporting the beating of a young man by several older men in street clothes, when she was arrested by those same "assailants" and charged with interfering with a police officer and breach of peace.

Her tale and the 911 tape don't entirely matchthe account the two detectives put in the incident report underlying her arrest. The detectives' assertions that they were trying to explain to her that they had to subdue the combative man they were arresting on drug charges are inaudible on the tape, or strain credibility.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently 2 detectives were attempting an arrest of a suspect on drug charges. The article states he was resisting. This bystander who most likely only saw half of the incident, is accusing them of excessive force. Now of course, if the suspect was resisting and the officers had to bring him down, its going to look like they're beating him.

I'm sure many of the LEOs that we have here will be able to relate to incidents like this.

I can for sure...

MJS said:
My question is: Does things like this reflect a negative image on police officers? IMO, yes, it does. The paper tends to jump on stories like this, from people who most likely have half a story.

It always has and always will...UNLESS the suspect was featured on the news for some henious act with a minor THEN the public will say "Why didn't you beat the chicken soup outta him"..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an article that I read in todays paper. I was not there, so all I have to go off of is what the article says. As always, take it with a grain of salt, as we all know that things may not always be what they seem.

Use of force is never pretty. I'm sure that most members of this forum understand that, in the real world, nothing ever works as nicely as it does in training or on TV. There's not enough information given to even begin to address whether the detective's actions were justified or not; given the apparent status of the investigation and incident, I'll presume they were.

Why does the press jump on these stories? 'Cause they sell papers/draw viewers/make money for the paper. And because a fair number of reporters have a discernible bias against the police. (Is there one other profession where someone who was a member of that profession briefly who does something wrong later is identified by their former profession -- regardless of the reason they left it? Y'know... the "former cop becomes bank robber" stories, where only when you read it closely do you find out that the so-called "former cop" didn't last 2 weeks before being fired?)

Now... why did the "concerned citizen" get arrested? Probably because the detectives identified themselves, tried to send her on her way reasonably politely, and probably asked her to hang up the phone. When she didn't comply, things escalated. So... What's the big deal about the phone call? I investigate criminal street gangs. When we're arresting someone, if we see someone on the phone -- we have to assume that they're not calling 911, they're calling for gang members to assist our targets. Not something we want to have happen. And if someone is refusing to comply with our directions to move on, hang up the phone, or whatever -- they'll probably be detained or arrested.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why does the press jump on these stories? 'Cause they sell papers/draw viewers/make money for the paper.

Having been in broadcasting for the first part of my career...absolutely. The media loves controversy because it sells. The viewers/listeners/readers like controversy because it gives us something fresh to talk about.

Thats even before factoring in a bias or viewpoint that a reporter may have or what a reporter feels they have to do to draw attention to themselves. Some want to be known locally, others want to climb in to a major media market...esp. in a city that is only a two hour drive from two major media markets.

Latest Discussions