Calisthenics - jack of all trades for MA?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whatever gets the job done. You could put the weights on t shirts if you want.
im trying to get my head round why writing an easy to remember number down( or using an app to record it) is in anyway motivational,
I track my time for a mile run, it started at 11 mins its now down to 8 . Now I have written those two numbers down should I be more motivated tomorrow?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
im trying to get my head round why writing an easy to remember number down( or using an app to record it) is in anyway motivational,
I track my time for a mile run, it started at 11 mins its now down to 8 . Now I have written those two numbers down should I be more motivated tomorrow?

It is the reason why some people, while technically proficient can't coach.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing is better than "5 miles running daily" to lose fat.

I don't agree. Anything engaging your muscles provides better overall health benefits: swimming, plyo-calisthenics, etc. Yes, you'll lose weight by running but it has to be coupled with a strength routine otherwise you'll lose muscle as much as you're losing fat. I've done it before... went from 213 (pudgy) to 168 (stick thin for my build) with running and diet. Despite being lighter, I couldn't even bench my BW anymore. The problem with running is that it depletes energy without building/working any of the major muscle groups.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't agree. Anything engaging your muscles provides better overall health benefits: swimming, plyo-calisthenics, etc. Yes, you'll lose weight by running but it has to be coupled with a strength routine otherwise you'll lose muscle as much as you're losing fat. I've done it before... went from 213 (pudgy) to 168 (stick thin for my build) with running and diet. Despite being lighter, I couldn't even bench my BW anymore. The problem with running is that it depletes energy without building/working any of the major muscle groups.
it clearly works the leg muscles and the glutes and hip flexors, arnt they major muscles

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
it clearly works the leg muscles and the glutes and hip flexors, arnt they major muscles

Your body already has the ability to run. By doing endurance running, they'll get a bit more dense and efficient at running, and then you'll plateau. It does not engage the rest of the muscle groups and it steals energy from the rest of the muscles. Ever notice how gaunt most long distance runners are? You can overcome this by doing strength conditioning or you can just do full body plyo-calisthenics or swimming in the first place which gives you cardio and a full body exercise at the same time. Running is a fantastic exercise but my argument is just that there are things better for fat loss. People actually have great results just doing pure strength training, a clean diet, and no running.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your body already has the ability to run. By doing endurance running, they'll get a bit more dense and efficient at running, and then you'll plateau. It does not engage the rest of the muscle groups and it steals energy from the rest of the muscles. Ever notice how gaunt most long distance runners are? You can overcome this by doing strength conditioning or you can just do full body plyo-calisthenics or swimming in the first place which gives you cardio and a full body exercise at the same time. Running is a fantastic exercise but my argument is just that there are things better for fat loss. People actually have great results just doing pure strength training, a clean diet, and no running.
there is an awful lot of hoodoo talked in bodybuilding circles abot running, there scared it will steal their gains,

but what exactly do you mean by" it steal energy from other muscles" how does it do this?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
there is an awful lot of hoodoo talked in bodybuilding circles abot running, there scared it will steal their gains,

but what exactly do you mean by" it steal energy from other muscles" how does it do this?

There's no hoodoo to it. You have a finite amount of blood, nutrients, glycogen, etc. If it's being directed to the legs, then they're not getting max growth potential in the biceps or whatever the hell they're focused on in their body building.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's no hoodoo to it. You have a finite amount of blood, nutrients, glycogen, etc. If it's being directed to the legs, then they're not getting max growth potential in the biceps or whatever the hell they're focused on in their body building.
muscle growth has nothing at all to do with glycogen,( other than storage in he muscles increases size) muscle growth is mostly to do with protein, how does running which won't burn protein if you've properly fueled, steal protein from other muscles.

that's asides from the fact you said they steal energy, not protein, what energy is that?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
muscle growth has nothing at all to do with glycogen,( other than storage in he muscles increases size) muscle growth is mostly to do with protein, how does running which won't burn protein if you've properly fueled, steal protein from other muscles.

that's asides from the fact you said they steal energy, not protein, what energy is that?

Dude, you need to do some more research on exercise nutrition. Glycogen is the energy source. Without proper fuel, the muscles will literally eat each other... not conducive for muscle development (or maintenance) at all.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude, you need to do some more research on exercise nutrition. Glycogen is the energy source. Without proper fuel, the muscles will literally eat each other... not conducive for muscle development (or maintenance) at all.
I have research it, which is why I'm calling you out on your broscience, its not that it can't happen, but rather irmys very unlikely and even then makes no significant unpack on your muscle mass

if you regularly run say three or 5miles, then your leg muscles store enough glycogen for you to run three or five miles, that's part of the bodies adaption process. If you push on past your reserves then it uses glycogen from your blood steam, ie what you had for breakfast, it can't take gylocogen stored in your bicep, after than gone, your leg muscles run on lactic acid and after that on brain glycogen only after you have gone through that process do you start using muscle protein as fuel in any significant amount
what does burn a lot of muscle though is if you are on a silly bulking and,cutting fad and starve your self of carbs , and then go on long runs.

that I think is where the myth came from, weight trainer cutting, trying to get by on 700 calories aday and then going running, they don't blame the silly diet, they blame the running

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there has to be some phycology theory behind your claims, im asking what that was theory might be

The theory is if you have an external motivation. You are more likely to do the push ups.

Why do we need to throw ice over our heads. Why can't we just donate money?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The theory is if you have an external motivation. You are more likely to do the push ups.

Why do we need to throw ice over our heads. Why can't we just donate money?
no your more likely to do exercise if you have internal motivation, people who are,exercising for the approval of others others either give up, or develop compulsive disorders.
their arms are never big enough.

there's use in a competion with a training partner, but you can't replace a flesh and blood partner with a smart phone

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no your more likely to do exercise if you have internal motivation, people who are,exercising for the approval of others others either give up, or develop compulsive disorders.
their arms are never big enough.

there's use in a competion with a training partner, but you can't replace a flesh and blood partner with a smart phone

If you read the reviews on the app it motivates some people to do pushups where they may not. And gives them rewards and incentives like tracking and calorie loss information.
Push Ups Workout - Android Apps on Google Play

Then if we go back to goal setting.

images

You will see that an app may help someone using a lot of the same principles.

The external motivation is the part about being accountable.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you read the reviews on the app it motivates some people to do pushups where they may not. And gives them rewards and incentives like tracking and calorie loss information.

images

being,accountable to a smart phone is good? Are you sure its not skynet your recommending

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score

images

Just a side note. Goals are:

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Relevant
Time based

Not heard of your variation. Not that it may be relevant.

Latest Discussions