California Appellate Court Refuses to Publish Anti-Camera Decision

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]California Appellate Court Refuses to Publish Anti-Camera Decision
The Newspaper.com EXCERPT:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Municipality spared potential of refunds from illegal red light camera program thanks to non-publication rules of California courts.

[/FONT]A California appellate court on Wednesday declined to publish a decision overturning a ticket issued by an unlawful red light camera operation (view ruling). California Superior Court, San Mateo County Appellate Judge Mark R. Forcum turned down attorney Frank Iwama's request that he explain his reasoning more fully in a published decision. Unpublished cases cannot be cited as precedent in California, and motorists interested in challenging citations will have to repeat from scratch all arguments about the program's illegality.

"I am deeply disturbed and saddened that, despite the judge's courageous action in interpreting the law, the judge has not taken the next step of modifying and certifying his opinion for publication," Iwama said in a statement. "The publication of the opinion in the Official Reports would have served as a badly needed and useful precedent for the people in seeking guidance in the interpretation and application of the cost-neutrality clause in red-light camera contracts."

Other California courts have struck down red light camera programs on various legal grounds in cases such as: Franco, Murray, Graham, Williams and Bohl. The Fischetti case actually held published status for a time only later to become depublished by the state supreme court. In court filings, the League of California Cities suggested that allowing such rulings to stand with precedential value would force them to issue refunds or cancel their programs outright, costing millions.

"One of the first principles we all learn in school is the power of the Constitution and the independence and separation of powers between the three branches of government," Iwama said. "During this difficult economic time, it seems that financial necessity overrules the highest principles between what is right and wrong regardless of potential economic consequence."
SNIP
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In 2000, the US Court of Appeals for the Eight Circuit issued a scathing decision declaring non-citation rules unconstitutional.

"Some forms of the non-publication rule even forbid citation," Judge Richard S. Arnold wrote in Anastasoff v. US. "Those courts are saying to the bar: 'We may have decided this question the opposite way yesterday, but this does not bind us today, and, what's more, you cannot even tell us what we did yesterday.' As we have tried to explain in this opinion, such a statement exceeds the judicial power, which is based on reason, not fiat."
[/FONT]

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have huge issues with these cameras. Redspeed (the company that manufactures them, at least the ones used here) are, at best, incompetent, at worst, crimimal... depending on whether you believe they just dont understand their technology or whether you believe they are outright lying to the cities and towns they sell them to. (oops, rent. You cant BUY the systems)

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch and says I have an issue because I must have been burned by one, I have NEVER been given a speed camera, Red light camera, or other type of camera ticket.

What I DO know is there is camera near the restaraunt I frequent, and I can sit there for coffee, and watch it trigger on vehicles which are obviously stopped, and on vehicles that are making LEGAL right turns on red. Redspeed has stated that this is an unfortunate, but unavoidable situation... yet technicians from one local town that had to sort thru hours of video and throw out hundreds of these automatic citations determined there is a simple software setting to tune that out of the sensors... Redspeed said "No, you cannot modify that." (An anti camera group here alleges this is because Redspeed collects a % from every vehicle it catches as well as a "yearly rental fee" and an upfront % based on projected income from the placement)

Several of the cameras have been removed here because while they have had positive impact on the financial coffers of the munincipalities, they have not signifigantly effected the overal saftey records of the intersections in question, and have decreased traffic to local buisness to such an extent that the Buisnesses filed compaints.

I think, as an overall tool, they need to be re-evaluated, and the technology improved somewhat before they are going to be truly effective.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the UK, it has become a popular pastime to vandalize speed cameras, over and over again. In NYC, people climb the poles and steal the nice new Nikon digital SLR cameras inside them, which one sees on eBay from time to time.

That's crazy too. But I guess Crime is Crime.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's good for the kids to have a hobby!