California mayhem

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
The article is rather scant on details. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of 'tens of thousands' of prisoners. Surely, that does not mean that California has tens of thousands of death row inmates, thus throwing the switch will not eliminate the vast crowding.

I do wonder, as someone above has suggested, if this is not also the folly of 'three strikes.' 'Three strikes' sold well to the general public, but down the road you end up with a vast population of geriatrics who medical care more than they need corrections.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do wonder, as someone above has suggested, if this is not also the folly of 'three strikes.' 'Three strikes' sold well to the general public, but down the road you end up with a vast population of geriatrics who medical care more than they need corrections.

bingo.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

California is the most unjust of the 3-strikes states. The third strike doesn't have to be a felony, nor violent. All other 3-strikes states require a violent felony as the 3rd strike. In a few notorious cases, one man was sentenced to 25-to-life for theft of a slice of pizza. Another guy got 50-to-life for stealing 9 video tapes.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
California is the most unjust of the 3-strikes states. The third strike doesn't have to be a felony, nor violent. All other 3-strikes states require a violent felony as the 3rd strike. In a few notorious cases, one man was sentenced to 25-to-life for theft of a slice of pizza. Another guy got 50-to-life for stealing 9 video tapes.
Whats that say about the intelligence of these guys? Knowing that they would be going away for a long time if they got caught and they still...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whats that say about the intelligence of these guys? Knowing that they would be going away for a long time if they got caught and they still...

Maybe they're so dumb they think the Touch of Death is real. Who knows? That's completely immaterial though to whether or not the law in question is just. Or in the case of this thread, cost effective.

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
California is the most unjust of the 3-strikes states

Three chances seems pretty "nice" to me hell I don't give my kids three chances. Empty Hands it is so funny reading your posts and seeing how you can make an argument out of anything.. thats some skill man..

one man was sentenced to 25-to-life for theft of a slice of pizza. Another guy got 50-to-life for stealing 9 video tapes.

What were these CRIMINALS first TWO felonys.. seems like some important info to have if you want to use it in an argument..

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Three chances seems pretty "nice" to me hell I don't give my kids three chances. Empty Hands it is so funny reading your posts and seeing how you can make an argument out of anything.. thats some skill man..

What were these CRIMINALS first TWO felonys.. seems like some important info to have if you want to use it in an argument..

Murder and rape? Let's let him have a third violent offense before we put him away. :p

Latest Discussions