TKD 10th Dan?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kukiwon lists a handful of 10th Dan in TKD. Is this a posthumous thing? Has anyone ever met one? Does anyone know who these folks are?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
The Kukiwon lists a handful of 10th Dan in TKD. Is this a posthumous thing? Has anyone ever met one? Does anyone know who these folks are?
probably shaolin monks... too good to be less than 10 dan! haha
i've met a 9 before, i recall my old tkd master's master was a 10, but dont know what style that was

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my TKD, (ITF) only 2 people were 9th dans, General Choi and his son. When General Choi died, he was granted 10th dan as an honorary rank.

Becky

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't think 10th Dans existed at all in the WTF branch. That's why I was very surprised to see it on the Kukiwon site.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it was honorary title bestowed upon someone...not entirely sure though...I think the WTF sites list only about 5....been a while since I checked it out though

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, there weren't many of them, as I recall. I thought it might be something awarded posthumously (after death).

Does anyone know who any of these folks are?

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
One in the ATA Eaternal Grandmaster H. U. Lee (posthumously) also recieved an WTF 9th Dan and ITF 9th Dan. I know GM Sereff is an ITF 9th Dan, promoted by the General before he died.

-Fluff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In WTF 9th and 10th Dan are a Honory thing for the developement of TKD not so much a test, there are very few 10th Dan that are legit it is something that is done rarely.
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I remeber watching EGM H. U. Lee (ATA) actually test for his 9th Degree, it came across, to those of us who were not brain washed at the time, as a bit of a joke. Who tests for 9th Degree? And at his age? It was an interesting demo, to say the least. Kind of a hodge-podge of all forms (Songahm) with broard breaks insterted into the form. On stage, under the lights, with music playing, and the ATA ultra loyal clapping at every move.........I just wanted to give him his belt and be done with it.

-Fluff

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
I remeber watching EGM H. U. Lee (ATA) actually test for his 9th Degree, it came across, to those of us who were not brain washed at the time, as a bit of a joke. Who tests for 9th Degree? And at his age? It was an interesting demo, to say the least. Kind of a hodge-podge of all forms (Songahm) with broard breaks insterted into the form. On stage, under the lights, with music playing, and the ATA ultra loyal clapping at every move.........I just wanted to give him his belt and be done with it.

-Fluff

That must have been a sight to watch someone with all that time in test, which I could have seen it. Do you have any pics of the test you can post?
Thanks
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
That must have been a sight to watch someone with all that time in test, which I could have seen it. Do you have any pics of the test you can post?
Thanks
Terry

No, I was there at my parents invitation, and was in shock at the level of politics involved. At that point, I knew I was done with that org. You can find actual video at www.ataonline.com

-Fluff

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
No, I was there at my parents invitation, and was in shock at the level of politics involved. At that point, I knew I was done with that org. You can find actual video at www.ataonline.com

-Fluff

Thanks FLuffy
Terry

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know GM Ed Sell out of Florida actually tested for his 9th Dan.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know who any of the 5 Kukiwon 10th Dan are? And were they still living when they were bestowed?

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I know GM Ed Sell out of Florida actually tested for his 9th Dan.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know who any of the 5 Kukiwon 10th Dan are? And were they still living when they were bestowed?

Yea? What was included in his testing? And who tested him? Just curious.

-Fluff

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know little about who tested him. Except it was a 3 person pannel @ the Kukiwon on (of all days) Sept 11, 2001. maybe his website (USCDKA.com) has more info.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, that's a date he'll remember...I'm sure it was respectfull, at the KKW and all.

-Fluff

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:

I thought there were 5, of whom 3 were deceased Kwan founders. The living 10th dans are Juan Antonio Samarach (former IOC president) and Dr. Kim, Un Yong (former WTF and Kukkiwon President).

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Miles! I had a feeling you'd know. Do you know if GM Lee, Won Kuk is one of those others? Or is he still alive?