Bundle UP! It's Gwanna get Cold! 12/07/06

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is cold here in Florida! Ambient temperature tonight below freezing. Wind chill is supposed to be in the low 20s. That is freaking cold for Florida. I don't even own long pants (well 2), I have shorts. I am going to have to go buy jeans and long sleeve shirts tonight. :(

[sarcasm]aaaawwwwww poor bigshadow...that is horrible...damn I feel so sorry for you...what you must be going through...its so wrong....awwwww...[/end sarcasm]

:p

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, looking at my local forecast, it states that its 23, but add in that wind, and it sure feels a heck of alot colder than that!!!

And no comments from you Lisa!!!:p

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, looking at my local forecast, it states that its 23, but add in that wind, and it sure feels a heck of alot colder than that!!!

And no comments from you Lisa!!!:p

heh heh heh...it is 23 here right now too and we are all rejoicing at the beautiful weather we are having....:D Damn, this is Tshirt weather!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heh heh heh...it is 23 here right now too and we are all rejoicing at the beautiful weather we are having....:D Damn, this is Tshirt weather!

Is that why you have two gold stars? ;)

:lol:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
uhmm... that would be two gold pasties! ;)

SHHH! Lisa was making a C to F joke. The usualy Canadian thing as they laugh at us Americans cause we still use that system. :D So she was saying it is hot.

And I played it both ways, one with the " ;) " to let he know I understood, and the other about her being smart and having two gold stars, and of course teh third and obvious was the one you pointed out. :D

BTW it is 20F here and nice Wind Chill.

I am going to Kap aka Kapuskasing Ontario in January/February where we will be doing some nice cold weather testing assisted with some nice "Cold Boxes". I may even be in Raco and or Kinross in January which is in the UP or upper peninsula to all the "trolls." "Trolls" is what those in the UP call those who live in the LP because we live "below" - "The Bridge". (* lots of Michigander commentary :D ;) *)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may even be in Raco and or Kinross in January which is in the UP or upper peninsula to all the "trolls." "Trolls" is what those in the UP call those who live in the LP because we live "below" - "The Bridge". (* lots of Michigander commentary :D ;) *)

Man, I haven't thought of Raco in years. I used to ride my dirt bike out to the old air strip. Damn near killed myself on the one that runs parallel to the road. There used to be a little store there that was run by a pair of sisters that had lived their whole life up there, interesting to talk to them. I graduated from the SOO and know the area very well. Bring an extra pair of long johns, it can get COLD, COLD, COLD up there, have seen all the bank temp displays showing -52 F a time or two without factoring in the wind chill.

People look at me strange when I tell them I moved to Northern Maine for less snow and warmer winters. :)

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man, I haven't thought of Raco in years. I used to ride my dirt bike out to the old air strip. Damn near killed myself on the one that runs parallel to the road. There used to be a little store there that was run by a pair of sisters that had lived their whole life up there, interesting to talk to them. I graduated from the SOO and know the area very well. Bring an extra pair of long johns, it can get COLD, COLD, COLD up there, have seen all the bank temp displays showing -52 F a time or two without factoring in the wind chill.

People look at me strange when I tell them I moved to Northern Maine for less snow and warmer winters. :)

I had a friend from Alaska, who always complained about the cold chill in Michigan, I guess he did not get the wind effect from the elk and reindeer running up in Alaska. :D

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bring an extra pair of long johns, it can get COLD, COLD, COLD up there, have seen all the bank temp displays showing -52 F a time or two without factoring in the wind chill.

Negative 52??

Ok, that's just insane to live in a place like THAT.

And I thought people around here were silly for living in Swampeast Missouri.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember the winter I was a senior in HS (Winter 80/81)we went 3 weeks where it never got ABOVE -30 during the day. I think the weather station called it -48 or something like that, but every themometer I saw was -52 or -53. Wind chill was well below -127 according to the radio station in town (WSXX). I hated that winter! So when I say I hate cold weather, I have a reason and I do know what real cold is. I about die laughing when I watch these specials on TV where they are going out where it is -25 or -30 and commenting on "flesh freezing solid in a matter of seconds" What a crock! Maybe if you just stepped out of the shower and was buck naked and wet...

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember the winter I was a senior in HS (Winter 80/81)we went 3 weeks where it never got ABOVE -30 during the day. I think the weather station called it -48 or something like that, but every themometer I saw was -52 or -53. Wind chill was well below -127 according to the radio station in town (WSXX). I hated that winter! So when I say I hate cold weather, I have a reason and I do know what real cold is. I about die laughing when I watch these specials on TV where they are going out where it is -25 or -30 and commenting on "flesh freezing solid in a matter of seconds" What a crock! Maybe if you just stepped out of the shower and was buck naked and wet...
Not even then... you may get ice formed on the skin in places but that's about it. Surprisingly the human body is fairly well insulated against sudden freezing. It's the reason why our internal core temps are at 98.6 F.
A person could get hypothermia standing out in weather like that but freeze into ice? .. umm... nope.

Latest Discussions