"Training For Warriors"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've put this here rather than MMA because I think it's fantastic for anyone!
Bought a book the other day I can highly recommend "Training for Warriors" by Martin Rooney.
Not a book of techniques in kicking punching etc but training for MMA, made me exhausted just reading it! However it has plenty to recommend itself for anyone training in martial arts, stretches, conditioning, diet, flexibility training you name it, it's in there. Good bits on preventing injuries too
Interestingly for the TMA people who say the MMA is just about fighting, there's plenty about the attributes and virtues of being a warrior, indeed the first chapter starts...
" Welcome to the path of the warrior. This book is your guide to growing both physically and mentally into a warrior. What is a warrior? One definition is someone who engages in combat but I believe history's greatest warriors show us that being a warrior is more about gaining control over oneself in all aspects of life"

That sets the tone for the book which has the hardest workouts I've ever seen in it. Chapter Five is entitled 'The Warrior Mind' and along with quotes from some of the greatest martial artists shows how to train the mind, talking about disciplne, respect, self control and patience etc

Hugely recommend this to anyone who wants to train martial arts of any style but also to those who think we in MMA are animals just out to hurt people in the cage. It shows the mindset and the physical effort needed to become a fighter, indeed a warrior!

Latest Discussions