Bruce Lee wasn't a God

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What are you disagreeing with @Hot Lunch? Did I misspell it, or are you still trolling my posts?
I thought that on this forum the red "thumbs-down" imoge indicated disagreement with a statement. Not "I don't like anything you post". So I'm a little confused too.

Do you two have a history?

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that on this forum the red "thumbs-down" imoge indicated disagreement with a statement. Not "I don't like anything you post". So I'm a little confused too.

I disagreed with one of his posts, then he started trolling me. I have no problem with him, and I have told him as much. No worries, my self esteem isn’t tied up in what @Hot Lunch thinks of my posts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I was literally just wondering the same thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I disagreed with one of his posts, then he started trolling me. I have no problem with him, and I have told him as much. No worries, my self esteem isn’t tied up in what @Hot Lunch thinks of my posts.
We all have our admirers, I guess. 😅

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me ha Bruce Lee has become symbol first of all. Just like master Yoda and Rocky Balboa. Representing some "ideals" of wisdom, fighting spirit or whatever etc. I distinguish the symbol and it¨s function with the real life inspiration. Yoda doesn't exist but I still quote hime at times. But as for my own style there are many more recent symbols/ideals. Could I choose I¨d rather throw spinning kicks as good as Legendary Andy Hug, instead of like Brue Lee. But the metaphot "be like water" still means something, even if it was Yoda or some other fictional character that said it.

So quoting the symbols to me is not "appeal to authority", it is more like "appeal to a commoni ideal", which presumably is something many MA can related to, The ideal that does not exists.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Elvis Presley or Evel Knievel, I'm not really a fan,
Evel Knievel 😆😂🤣 I haven’t thought about him in decades! Elvis…Karaoke singer! 😑
but I recognize that they had an outsized impact on the zeitgeist.
I think we have to ask whether ‘adoration by the masses’ is actually a measure of credibility or being noteworthy. By that token we’d have Kim Kardashian above Neil Armstrong, Kylie Minogue above Led Zeppelin and Taylor Swift above Martin Luther King! Mass adoration itself is not credible.
But I am unusual (apparently) for a martial artist in that I don't watch martial arts movies (exception, Kuro Obi), and am not a fan of MMA/UFC/etc.
Kuro Obi was good!
I just hear a lot of "Be like water," which is true enough, although plenty of people said it (in variations) before Bruce Lee.
Musashi Miyamoto wrote, in the sixteenth century ‘With water as the basis, the spirit becomes like water. Water adopts the shape of its receptacle, it is sometimes a trickle and sometimes a wild sea.’

As I said, Lee‘s ideas were derivative.
Respect for Bruce Lee, I get. Reverence and worship? Not so much.
I completely agree. Please read Matthew Prolly’s book. It’s so good. I’ll pay for your copy, Bill. I think the estate of Bruce Lee have been very shrewd in ‘reforming’ his image to maximise his legacy and ability to make money. Prolly’s book redresses that. I have to add that Prolly is a big fan of Lee.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t everyone still do that? 🤔
Most of us avoid children’s playgrounds, gyoja. For the sake of your continued and longterm posting on here, I’d suggest you do the same!😳

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of us avoid children’s playgrounds, gyoja. For the sake of your continued and longterm posting on here, I’d suggest you do the same!😳
Maybe I still like chasing my wife around the playground. Is that why everyone keeps looking at me funny? 😁

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I still like chasing my wife around the playground. Is that why everyone keeps looking at me funny? 😁
If you do so in a Benny Hill-esque way, yes!

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kinda funny, but people & things become gods when one has not God. 😉