Bringing it

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it that you bring to your particular style that is better than anybody else and how has that helped in all your training?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, in the nicest way possible, reject your premise. Although, I know I am responsible for certain lesson plans as a result of my conversations or problem solving results, I try not to get hung up on feeling I am better than everyone else at anything (Ok maybe singing:)). I have a friend, since childhood, whom will often make the comment along the lines of we "get it" and the "other people" don't. Everytime she says it, it make makes my skin crawl ever so slightly. I feel it is nothing but a big trap that you set for yourself. Why improve if you are already better than everyone else? I had a sergeant in the Army that would call those "other people" mouth breathers, which is just another way of crowning yourself. You know, crowns get knocked off.

Sean

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, I'm taking this a whole different way ... I don't see it as something you bring that makes you better than anyone else, but something you bring that makes those around you better.

In my case, I believe I brought a certain amount of realism and aggression to the dojo where I trained previously. That, in no way, made me better than anyone else, rather it brought others some meaning for what they were doing.

When I say aggression, that does not mean starting fights, it means that once it has been determined that a given situation is going to get physical, you go one way, that is to survive at all costs. Nobody should go into an altercation half-hearted. Realism? We all know what that means on the surface. To me it means not simply regurgitating techniques, copying your instructor. It means breaking it down, seeing what works and why dependent on your strengths and weaknesses (we all have them). Enough, ust my two cents

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Passion. My passion for the arts is the driving motivation that keeps me coming back for more. Beatings and all! :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, in the nicest way possible, reject your premise. Although, I know I am responsible for certain lesson plans as a result of my conversations or problem solving results, I try not to get hung up on feeling I am better than everyone else at anything (Ok maybe singing:)). I have a friend, since childhood, whom will often make the comment along the lines of we "get it" and the "other people" don't. Everytime she says it, it make makes my skin crawl ever so slightly. I feel it is nothing but a big trap that you set for yourself. Why improve if you are already better than everyone else? I had a sergeant in the Army that would call those "other people" mouth breathers, which is just another way of crowning yourself. You know, crowns get knocked off.

Sean

Sean I underatnd what you are saying but let me explain what I mean, for me I bring the attitude of perfection to my Dojaang no matter how could you are you are not perfect so keep working to improve yourself and your fellow MA'ers. this is what I mean not that you know it all. I hope this explains a little better.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it that you bring to your particular style that is better than anybody else and how has that helped in all your training?
Well, I don't know that it's better than anybody else - but a desire to continue to learn, and to pass on what I've learned.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I give honest praise for the people I train with to help everyone at the dojo feel they belong (at the end of class we thank each other).

From my previous training I mix my sparring tatics by going in straight, but sometimes in a circular motion. I also like to do sweeps and throws if my partner is comfortable with breaking his/her fall.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't think of a single thing in which I'm "better than anybody else" in Sera. If there were I'd do my very best to ignore the fact.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I took Terry to mean, What is it that I'm strongest at in the arts (not stronger than others, but within myself, what's my biggest strength), and how does that complement the different strengths that others bring? In other words, of all the possible things one can be good at in MA, which is yours or mine, and how has that helped the particular 'family' we practice and train with?

I think this is what 14 Kempo meant, also:
I don't see it as something you bring that makes you better than anyone else, but something you bring that makes those around you better.
My strength would probably be a certain street savvy-ness. Of course, that makes the qualities I don't bring myriad. :) But that's why we train with others, right? We all bring something different to the table. Many Aha! moments for me have come not just from good instructors, but from other students. And most often, they probably never knew what they did for me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my knowledge of what it was like in the old days when I studied and my knowledge of what else is "out there" in the arts. I am able to pass on the little knowledge I have accumulated now to others

or maybe it some of the stories I have of people many have not met or events that happened befor many where born

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I took Terry to mean, What is it that I'm strongest at in the arts (not stronger than others, but within myself, what's my biggest strength), and how does that complement the different strengths that others bring? In other words, of all the possible things one can be good at in MA, which is yours or mine, and how has that helped the particular 'family' we practice and train with?

I like this take on it... what we bring to the party, not that my beer and dip is going to be any better than anyone elses but... i reckon i laugh more than most at training, mainly at myself but also just at the fierce play of it all. I find that laughter keeps the energy high and light... it makes hard work easy.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I bring my incredible good looks, childlike mentality and incredible skill at being hit without my partner breaking his hands. :ultracool

-Marc-

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score

The knowledge that I am not better than anyone else. I am a little fish in a big pond. Keeping my humility is what helps me in training.

Latest Discussions