Breaking bonds with your Grand Master.

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Long story short we dont see eye to eye on how to marry the business and honor side of running TKD schools. He recommends and promotes all students that are eligeable, signs up people to long term contracts that we all know they wont pass three months and so on and so on. Its all about money. We have talked for years about partnering on other schools and each time he backs out and leaves me hanging to undo the plans that were made.

I know what i need to do but dont know how. I own one school outright but it has his name on it.

The problem I have is that I need him. Im only a 2nd degree kukkiwon BB (3rd dan next month i hope). I took over this school when he had to move away as a 1st dan. I have no contacts with the kukkiwon and I have ZERO interest in joining any associations or organizations. I cant deal with the politics. As my understanding I cant recommend students to the kukkiwon for BB test at my current rank and even if i could what about myself? At some point I need to advance in order to be able to promote my own students.

I dont have time to join another school and train there. Short of founding some fake organization and promoting myself i dont know what to do.

Just a rant...respond if you would like.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So don't deal with the politics. Will you really lose that many students because you can't promote someone beyond 2nd? Do you really think that you can't find ways to advance your own skills in the art without the help of that GM?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Long story short we dont see eye to eye on how to marry the business and honor side of running TKD schools. He recommends and promotes all students that are eligeable, signs up people to long term contracts that we all know they wont pass three months and so on and so on. Its all about money. We have talked for years about partnering on other schools and each time he backs out and leaves me hanging to undo the plans that were made.

I know what i need to do but dont know how. I own one school outright but it has his name on it.

The problem I have is that I need him. Im only a 2nd degree kukkiwon BB (3rd dan next month i hope). I took over this school when he had to move away as a 1st dan. I have no contacts with the kukkiwon and I have ZERO interest in joining any associations or organizations. I cant deal with the politics. As my understanding I cant recommend students to the kukkiwon for BB test at my current rank and even if i could what about myself? At some point I need to advance in order to be able to promote my own students.

I dont have time to join another school and train there. Short of founding some fake organization and promoting myself i dont know what to do.

Very familiar story!!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
prm2770 let me ask you this where are you? I can honestly say by joining the AAU TKD program there is no rule set and you can run your school your way. They can help you get certificates that really mean something for you and all your students. If you own that school outrite tell your past GM you are sorry but the time has come to part ways. P.M. me if you would like to talk about the AAU and what they can do for you.

OP
P

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Blindside. My concerns are not with losing students. My GM never visits my dojang outside of test, so my students dont even really know who he is. Im also not concerned with advancing my skills as a practitioner or as a teacher on my own...at this point thats what ive been doing for the past 5 years. I basically train myself and then he calls me and says oh its time for your test.

However my concern is the recognition of the ranks I promote my students to. I have now three 1st dans ready to test for 2nd. without him how do I move them farther. To some of us a black belt is a memorable way to hold up our pants but to others it holds some be all end all power that they need to feel validated. Im not the later. I could care less what my rank is but logistics are what they are and for me to be able to nationally and internationally rank students I have a problem.

Terry, Im in your neck of the woods...as a matter of fact we've competed at a couple tournaments together. I think I remember sitting next to you at Master Garcias' Texas Cup a few years back. I will PM you.

Gorilla, How did your story end? or has it?

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Have to agree. The AAU will help you get promoted and help you as far as you want them too. There are also other people out there that can help you. I left my instructor over 10 years ago... best choice I ever made. He too was heading down the road of doing anything for the $$$. The longer I have been out from under him the more I have realized what a good choice it was. You will have to change the name of your school but thats an easy fix. You can PM me as well if I can help you answer any questions.

prm2770 let me ask you this where are you? I can honestly say by joining the AAU TKD program there is no rule set and you can run your school your way. They can help you get certificates that really mean something for you and all your students. If you own that school outrite tell your past GM you are sorry but the time has come to part ways. P.M. me if you would like to talk about the AAU and what they can do for you.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't need the GM, You can go independent.

With all the turmoil the Mothership has put the base through a number of schools have jumped ship and a few have gathered in an independent group, ITN, independent Taekwondo network.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

simple solution: have a new sign made. without his name on it.

sounds to me like you don't need him. You aren't interested in teh connection that he represents to the kukkiwon, so why bother? time to fly solo. quality over quantity. to hell with another promotion, it doesn't matter.

stop looking for someone else to lean on, and stand on your own two feet.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't think twice. Just do it. Rank doesn't matter as long as you have the ability to teach to the level required. In Australia we have a guy called Bob Jones who broke away from his master as a Shodan ho in 1970. He is now an 8th dan and two weeks ago celebrated 40 years of his independence with about 400 plus of his blackbelts on the floor at their recent annual BB grading. He even has schools in th US now.
I did a similar thing as a Shodan ho but linked with another master for grading purposes and further instruction. When the further instruction didn't eventuate I left there too and now I am independent. PM me too if you like. :asian:

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Blindside. My concerns are not with losing students. My GM never visits my dojang outside of test, so my students dont even really know who he is. Im also not concerned with advancing my skills as a practitioner or as a teacher on my own...at this point thats what ive been doing for the past 5 years. I basically train myself and then he calls me and says oh its time for your test.

However my concern is the recognition of the ranks I promote my students to. I have now three 1st dans ready to test for 2nd. without him how do I move them farther. To some of us a black belt is a memorable way to hold up our pants but to others it holds some be all end all power that they need to feel validated. Im not the later. I could care less what my rank is but logistics are what they are and for me to be able to nationally and internationally rank students I have a problem.

Terry, Im in your neck of the woods...as a matter of fact we've competed at a couple tournaments together. I think I remember sitting next to you at Master Garcias' Texas Cup a few years back. I will PM you.

Gorilla, How did your story end? or has it?

I have not had this issue! We are lucky our GM is a honest great man. I know several people who have had issues! It never works out with the GM! Your best bet is to find someone who will help you promote your deserving students. The reason rank matters is because of these situations.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thats sad that you don't see eye to eye. Sounds like your heart is in the right place trying to offer the best for your students. At the end of the day, that is what matters.

A Grandmaster whom seems more interested in the money then providing your students with "Grandmaster knowledge"??? (If im understanding this issue correctly). If this is correct then there's really no benefit of having his name in the banner. If your not happy with the deal your getting then I also believe leaving sounds like the best option.

I've always been of the opinion that what you are teaching is more important then what you call it and who's name is on it.

Luke

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
[

Just a rant...respond if you would like.[/quote]

You can contact me at [email protected]

I would like to know more its possible I can help you?

OP
P

prm2770

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I have been looking into the AAU and even if I don't use them for rank recognition they still offer an incredible club insurance program!!! I think Im gonna contact them tomorrow and get more info.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I have been looking into the AAU and even if I don't use them for rank recognition they still offer an incredible club insurance program!!! I think Im gonna contact them tomorrow and get more info.

call me because I am the southwest region director and can help you with everything.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Different country, different MA and different organization as me, but this thread reminds me what this site is really about, helping each other out with issues and training. Nice job guys. OK...back to The Study..... :)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If and when its time to part ways, you'll know. If its rank for you and your students, there are other options.

as for the texas cup.... you mean Armando Garcia in Austin?

Any of you going to the South Texas Open in San Antonio on 25 Sept?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If and when its time to part ways, you'll know. If its rank for you and your students, there are other options.

as for the texas cup.... you mean Armando Garcia in Austin?

Any of you going to the South Texas Open in San Antonio on 25 Sept?

Yes that would be Armando Garcia and yes will be their and the Southwest Texas open Tae Kwon Do championship September 18 as well. It is going to be a busy month.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Wow, another martial arts breakup!? Be still my heart.

It seems like yesterday (thirty plus years ago) I was just a fifteen-year old dojo rat after the nightly classes had ended and was told by my instructors about their plans to leave their “Master”.

It shocked the hell out of me at the time – but life does go on.
I laughed at post#8 – get a new sign.

What you owe your students is to take the time and do THREE things:

1) After this break-up clearly define/modify your school’s curriculum, polices and rules - as/if needed.
2) Determine how YOU are going to continue your studies and improve in your martial art!
3) Repeat steps 1 & 2

Good luck!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go independent. I train at an independent school and wouldnt have it any other way. No politics, no larger org telling you what you have to do and changing the curriculum etc. Before I joined martial talk I didnt even know what the kukkiwon was. Im very proud of my rank and everything I have achieved and in no way feel my rank is of any less significance just because my club doesnt belong to an organisation. It also certainly doesnt deter students from joining (only poor instruction does that), as we have a huge club that has grown even more rapidly since going independent.

Latest Discussions