Hold to hold multiple breaking boards?

vndesire

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to know how you hold multiple demo boards? One of the genius at my club came up with an idea that glue all the boadstogether with the spacers in between. He thinks it looks cool and makes it easy to hold.

By the way, is there anyone noticed how the KTigers break the boards? The boards snapped and make really cool sound. Are they custom made with special materials?

Love to hear from you all.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Spacers are the cheaters way! ;)

Holding multiple boards:

Pick strong knowleble guys with big hands

put boards in hand

break

just make sure the grain is going in the same direction!

I think I held 3 boards for my instructor once at a demo...at the limit of my ability (I am a small handed female)

We use regular shelving boards, 1x 12 pine...some is easier to break than other...

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to know how you hold multiple demo boards? One of the genius at my club came up with an idea that glue all the boadstogether with the spacers in between. He thinks it looks cool and makes it easy to hold.

By the way, is there anyone noticed how the KTigers break the boards? The boards snapped and make really cool sound. Are they custom made with special materials?

Spacers are cheating. "Boards" used by many demo teams may be BS boards.

Here are instructions for a portable / wall mountable, floor standable (for downward breaks) board holder. Just make sure the wall is sturdy.
Easily holds up to 7 boards.

http://371078645507472465-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/ntkdacad/files/TotallyTKD_Issue04_Master_Weiss.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7crki-_u40-GNhtZtXfNHFf_7-qao6nGMvJ7io1oHRhhYPx3WVcmN-qH2UKNqIIHdxZN_4a7iBBtAzcbHsgKhUFXKf4FSbGhSf1L7G7WOH811cgFGVEIpRqJMu4f-ebs9ctAC4_A82HArwUJp7ylzXWSPTPhJhvrxVRJpuIFM1tP8d2_MTulxa1h0v1yos7eJYAU30ltK3x1chk5h30HfyF-1VMAOeCGujKKEGbG9FaodIJjooM%3D&attredirects=0

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duct tape all the way. Cheap and easy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The cheapest way to hold more boards than will fit in your hands is to run a couple strips of electrical or duct tape around them. Tape along the grain.
A more secure way is to build something like the board holder Master Weiss posted.
The high end, if you want to spend the money, is the Century Martial Arts board breaker. But at $600, it's probably not something you'd casually pick up.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

If you ask me I will send you photo of me doing three board ast one time I have done this for 25 years no tricks up to 4 when I was younger it requres all the 5 principles of breaking with technique being the most important how you hold in your left hand and drop the Chi or your weight but what I did not know untill filmed in digital video that my feet levitate 3 inches off the ground after droping the chi as I go through??

I make all my collored belts begin to do this with one board by the way I have seen a very powerfull 9th dan fail on a wet green board strong boards it takes alot to do right.

I will also tell you about soft hand and iron hand

Last edited by a moderator:

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't take what the K-tigers do with any kind of seriousness. Beautiful techniques, take a ton of talent, but the boards, other than the big guys that do serious, multi-board (actual 1 to 3 inch thick pieces) breaks, are half inch thick, some are made from balsa, and apparently, according to a master in New York, they sometimes fill them with sawdust to give a more spectacular look. It's better for the show. These guys are still awesome martial artists, they are amazing athletes, and would outkick just about anyone, but during a demo, showmanship comes first, and they're first class showmen.

Latest Discussions